Non-Geordies, why do you support Newcastle United?

HawK

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The short answer, like many others, is Alan Shearer.

The longer answer is I was born in America, but my mom is English. I have dual citizenship. As a kid I spent every summer and Christmas in England. I started to become obsessed with all sports between '92-94. Around that time before I left England each summer I would fill out my fantasy team for the Telegraph (I think it was the Telegraph) and my grandma would mail it in. I have fond memories of my grandfather looking up the football scores on Teletext. World Cup '94 took things to another level and in between that and Euro '96 Shearer became my favorite player, but I didn't really care about Blackburn. I was in England on July 30, 1996 when Shearer signed and that was that - NUFC became my club. I still have the 96-97 shirt with Shearer's name on the back, but it's for a child. 

It was hard to follow in those days, but the internet and Soccernet.com (eventually acquired by ESPN) helped. My grandpa thought it was incredible when they would visit in the late 90s / early 2000's and I could read him all the scores, including the 2nd and 3rd division (Sheffield United and Rotherham were of most interest to him). Unfortunately I followed most of Shearer's career and the good times from looking at scores and the table with the occasional tape delayed match, except for when I was in England. Around 2005 TV coverage started to improve a bit, plus illegal streams became easier to find and it's around that time I became even more obsessed. I think I joined this forum in 2007 right when Ashley bought the club. 

Soccernet was huge, my local paper in Florida used to have match results and PL table on Sunday mornings. Meaning I'd have to wait another week to see updates on how we did. ESPN 2 coverage of tape delays, they had some type of review/highlight show too. We had satellite dish so I'd use my allowance or do extra chores around the house to pay my dad back for Setanta / ITV PPV matches. (Pay 15.00 and watch us lose, ffs). Internet helped massively with message boards, newsnow, internet radio :lol: listening to nearly all of our matches at some point...Fox Sports World coverage, ESPN at times, streams, and then finally NBC saved us 

Always good to read peoples stories and how varied they are. Blows my mind at times how big the Premier League is and how well Newcastle is known as a direct result. Had many a conversation with random folk all over the world about our great club and city.

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Always good to read peoples stories and how varied they are. Blows my mind at times how big the Premier League is and how well Newcastle is known as a direct result. Had some conversations with random folk all over the world about our great club and city.

Would always be cool seeing people in NUFC gear here locally traveling on holiday. Love it even more when I'm traveling for work and I see someone in a Toon track top or a kid in a toon shirt. Always try and say hello and talk the club :lol: 

Grew up in a relatively posh middle class family in North Yorkshire that was not at all interested in sport apart from tennis (I was actually ok at it). Only real football experience was got taken to a Middlesbrough match randomly in corporate box with dad who doesn't care about footy at all either. I was the nerd skipping sports at school to go to the library to play magic the gathering.

Went to Uni in newcastle and football supporting new friends got me dragged into watching sport. Best mate was geordie took me to some games and got me addicted. This was however the first Ashley season we went down so picked a hell of a time to get involved...

Edited by Tiresias

My dad has always supported Leeds, despite us not being from there (glory hunting in the 70s!), so I never knew you ought to support where you're from.

As a wee lad I enjoyed the football of Beardsley at Newcastle and Shearer at Blackburn, so when Shearer made the move that basically cemented it. As a result, I still have a soft spot for Blackburn and their kit - had collectible cards and those little big-headed statue things of some Blackburn players like Tim Flowers and Colin Hendry. 

Seems weird to me now but when you're that age, between 5 and 8 maybe, you're very impressionable in regards to the top players. Kinda like kids now who support Barca for the time they had Messi or Kane for Spurs. It's annoying but I can't really say much :lol:

When my Geordie dad would visit my grandma, he'd come back to the south east with kits for his 6 year old dirty southerner of a child. They happened to be the 95/96 triumvirate. :smitten:Never looked back and hopefully it's finally paying off. :lol:

Edited by wormy

In Sweden there was a show called Tipsextra which ran on Swedish National Television on Saturdays which used to show one game of British football per week. Back in those days satellite/cable wasn't a thing yet for most people so most (interested) people watched and started following a team. I remember watching Andy Cole and Peter Beardsley around '94 somewhere thinking they were great and started following NUFC. Most friends/family supported Manchester United/Liverpool/Arsenal.

I also remember later on watching Sunderland and Niall Quinn, hating Quinn for his appearance and started disliking Sunderland. Had no idea back then about the local rivalry between the clubs but it fell to me naturally :)

Grew up in Cornwall in a non-football family in 70/80s so no allegiance to any team.

Went to college in Durham and then worked in Newcastle in late 80s for two awesome years. I lived on the Westgate Road and worked nights in Sergeant Peppers, so had to walk past the ground to get to the pub, and always heard the game playing on Saturday’s as I walked past.

Didn’t get too many Newcastle games but , my best friend was a Sunderland fan so I went to all the away games at Roker Park with him and his mates ( incognito) including the Liam O’Brian Over The Wall game.

Moved to London with pretty much only Ceefax available for Newcastle news then to Dallas TX where the internet had become a thing and I found this place.

My dad called me excited to tell me that Newcastle had beaten Barcelona and I had to tell him that I already knew as had dialed up compuserve to check the score.

I had become a Newcastle fan from living up there, but my love for the team really grew from NO and living vicariously through you all. 

THANK YOU for sharing the games and your Newcastle love with those of us in far away places.

Edited by Exiled in Texas

It's late 1997- I'm 12, large for my size and in and been accepted for youthie setup at pompey as a GK, parents couldn't afford to hop over the ferry each day so it was out of the question and was heartbroken. I didn't really have any one team i followed, everyone down here just picked Arsenal, Manchester, Liverpool or Tottenham and i just didnt care to support a team i had no interest in. Mum's dragged me off to Newcastle to see the family for a wedding, we used to go up there once a year at that point and the family up there was fun and cool and a big younger than my parents so used to love it. Uncle surprised us with a rented box for some game 'in toon' Que Tino Asprilla Hat-trick against Barcelona at home and changed my DNA, being away from Newcastle and out the loot had me chasing the dragon on forums and such and i'm still here spending too much money on merch 25 years later. 

I went for geography. My local team is usually the team in the Swedish top league, which is located furthest north. Then everyone I knew started rooting for Liverpool and Man Utd, so I chose the team they faced on TV. Can't remember when, but it was before Shearer came. Guessing at 93/94.

Speaking of Liverpool. Keegan's first game (if I understood correctly) for them was against my local team. 4-0. Random that they played in Sundsvall, Sweden. June 71 or something.

I'm not a Geordie, I'm from the Midlands, I've got no relatives from the North East, hell I wasn't even bothered about football when I was a kid. It's all the fault of my parent's next-door-neighbour (who I guess is pretty much part of the family). Basically, when I was growing up my parent's neighbour, a childless spinster from Wallsend, used to buy me Newcastle United gear every time she went home for a visit, even though I didn't really have any interest in football and it piled up. Fast forward a few years to my late teens and I got a job away from home, working up in Scotland, where I didn't really know anyone. It turned out that there was a strong liking for football amongst the people I worked with, albeit mainly to do with Rangers or Celtic, but the way it went if you didn't support a football team nobody really included you in conversation, so I figured I'd make use of some of the bits of info I'd picked up from the stuff I'd been given as a kid. As it turned out this was just prior to Kevin Keegan's first stint as manager, when we were way down, so I wasn't jumping on any bandwagons. But the more I watched and talked about it the more I got into it, to the point I became quite fanatical about it. Now I couldn't think of not supporting Newcastle United, it's my team and although I'm not from the area and probably don't share too many similarities with your average Geordie, I can't imagine anything else. Funnily enough my parent's neighbour still lives next to them after what must be about 40+ years but these days I tend to be the one updating her with the latest team news and commenting on matches via text message. I guess everyone has their own reasons for supporting a team, the weird ones for me are those oddballs who jump from team to team over the years for whatever reason or the glory hunters.

I grew up near Sheffield. My Dad always supported Sheffield United and some other members of my family supported Wednesday.

They all took me to games, but I didn't remember them and was never too interested.

I remember watching the semi final of the FA cup with my dad in 1998 (Us vs. Sheffield United) and remember cheering for Newcastle.

Before you know it, we were in two back to back finals. With the heartbreak that followed. I then went to see Newcastle at Hillsborough when Wednesday were in the Premier League. 

I just wanted a shirt. I got one -- Brown Ale sponsor, miles too big. Followed by the NTL one.

I met Bobby Robson outside of Hillsborough. He was amazing with me and was talking to my Dad. He signed everything I had as he was talking, ruffled my hair and then gestured at both Dabizas and Shearer to sign. 

After convincing my mum and dad to take me to Newcatle and SJP, I fell in love with the city, the club and the crowd.

I remember walking through the city and having my photo took, and I felt an overwhelming sense of belonging and pride. A very weird feeling as a small kid. The first time I'd ever experienced it.

We walked the stairs to our seats, and I remember coming out on the concourse and hearing the crowd and I fell immediately in love. I've been coming back ever since.

I didn't make the trip so much under Ashley's reign to be honest. No one wanted to go with me, and no one would make the trip. My long term girlfriend isn't from England and she never got my love for Newcastle. 

Until last year, when I convinced her to attend the Burnley game. The first win that kicked off our season. I was then back for the Villa game.

At the full time whistle, I'd not heard SJP roar like that for many years. I remember being really emotional and trying to hold it in (I know!). She turned to me and said "I get it! Can we come back?". 

After the Burnley game, we went drinking with some fans we'd met and had been talking to for hours. She didn't understand a fucking word they said, but loved every minute.

There are now 2 Newcastle fans in our home. 

Edited by BlazeT44

From Darlington and back in the 80's I wanted a football shirt, I must have been 5 or 6, my dad took me to the sports shop in town and I wanted a Liverpool one like the rest of the kids, he told me I should support someone more local and not be a glory fan like the rest of them and how about I give Newcastle a go, he convinced me so I got the shirt, I think Willie McFall was the manager at the time. 

I later found out that the Liverpool shirt was more expensive and the tight bastard wouldn't pay for it, he is Scottish so that probably had something to do with it.

To be honest I have no regrets as I fucking hate Liverpool fans.

I have still got the shirt and it lives on a Teddy round at my mums house, I was tiny as a kid!

Edited by MagMal

I'm from Newcastle, but in my time in North America I've met three American/Canadian fans that I can think of that are as dedicated as anything.

One just loved the black and white stripes when he was little. (I do proper love our black and white stripes, and how relatively unique they are).

One's dad is a geordie.

One took a trip through the UK in the early 90s, stopped in Newcastle, went to a match and fell in love with the team and place.

(Re Goal - she didn't remember anyone supporting us from it, but my ex grew up in a Mexican community in LA and she said all the lads at her school were obsessed with the film when it came out)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Was participating in Norway Cup back in '95.

Vålerenga played a friendly match against Blackburn Rovers (pro-match event). Stood close to the entry/exit and got to handshake Alan Shearer, Colin Hendry, Stuart Ripley, Tim Flowers and the like on the way out.

Back then did know what English football were. Anyways later that evening when going out for dinner my friends told me I "needed" to find an English team to support. 

We walked past a supporter shop that sold EPL-shirts, and I scanned through all the shirts (even Manure and L'pool) did find a colour I liked (I don't like red).

Stood there for quite some times and my friend was like "you have to choose this and that" bla, bla. Then one of my more diplomatic friends said "Maybe you should just go for a player you like?" And I was like "Yeah, what was the name of the player who scored shitloads against Vålerenga tonight"... he went " Alan Shearer. He's reeeeaally good. 

Anyways, ended up with a (shit replica) Blackburn shirt. Think they won EPL that season or something and then Shearer got sold to Newcastle.... and here I am.

When he retired in 2006 I'd been a NUFC-supporter for 10-11 years, was in my mid-twenties and I was too emotional commited to change. HWTL!

Hated football growing up, I used to play American Football in school, then later I played Basketball in college, believe it or not I am English and have always lived here. Then came Euro '96 and I was hooked, the tournament finished and I didn't want to stop watching so I chose to follow whoever that guy Shearer played for, was almost a Blackburn fan in doing so!

27 years of mostly shite with a sprinkling of almost and some fun in Europe and stupidly I am still here, can't get it out of my blood I'm a Geordie at heart and always will be.

Hated football when I was a young lad. When I was about 14 I started getting into football video games and started watching matches on TV then. Didn't have a club or anything but for some reason unknown to me now I had a soft spot for Newcastle and followed their games. Then I was listening to them on the radio, then I was watching games with a shirt and a scarf everytime and didn't miss a match. Then I signed up to this place. :lol: 

My mum got me a trip to Newcastle for my 18th and honestly the feeling of seeing SJP for the first time was indescribable to me. Never felt anything like I did that night at my first game man it was top class. Been hooked on it ever since even though its been utter shit for most of my time supporting us up until the takeover. :lol: I enjoyed the UEFA Cup stuff in the mid noughties and the season we finished 5th, plus tbh I enjoyed the Championship seasons, more so the season with Hughton. Wasn't great being out of the PL but what wasn't to like about winning all the time? Football is as simple as that when it all boils down to it. 

Edited by Decky

When I was younger I grew up in Portsmouth, all my family were Pompey fans. I’d go to fratton park quite often. Lived in two pubs one in Southsea, the other in Milton. 

it always seemed to be Pompey everywhere. One day my old man was watching a game on the box, Newcastle destroying another team. From that moment there and then I told the old man I’m supporting this team. Always have and always will.

That would of been around 1990. Never been to St. James’s but have seen them play away to forest.