Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 minute ago, HawK said:

I've always been told he's meant to be fast, but I don't think I've seen him really use his pace until then. Teams must set up to counter him by playing a bit deeper to negate his pace, and Spurs didn't and we got see him in full flow. Which was nice.

When he plays on the left he looks to cut into space through the middle, and so you don't tend to see him burn people down the sides. It's a plus of him on the right, that he will be in position more to burn defenders on the outside.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

When he plays on the left he looks to cut into space through the middle, and so you don't tend to see him burn people down the sides. It's a plus of him on the right, that he will be in position more to burn defenders on the outside.

Very good point. I did make a post a week or two ago about seeing more of him on the right and Barnes on the left, seemed obvious, glad early signs are it's showing promise.

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

Sure I remember a bit really early in the first half where he just absolutely burned one of the Spurs defenders for pace.

It was very early. We looked up for it from the first whistle, but that moment really brought the feeling that we definitely had a game on.

Need to see it again, but from memory it would've been perfect if Isak had stepped off the pace and loitered near the centre spot for a cutback. But they'll work out their patterns of play even better with more time together.

Really impressive with his upper body strength, not sure if it’s something he’s been working on or not. First goal on Saturday and the winner against West Ham both coming from him winning the ball and holding off his man, excellent work. 

6 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Really impressive with his upper body strength, not sure if it’s something he’s been working on or not. First goal on Saturday and the winner against West Ham both coming from him winning the ball and holding off his man, excellent work. 

Lots of players would have flung themselves to the ground there trying to buy a free kick. 

On 14/04/2024 at 07:51, CPL said:

Winning penalties should count as an assist or be acknowledged in the statistic department at least.

It counts in FPL.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think a lot comes from confidence and attitude as well, if you believe you can beat your man and you want to score then you're not looking to go down at every opportunity., 

Agreed. Although physically there's a lot of potential in Gordon. Looks a solid 6ft. Looks relatively wide and thick-boned. He looks like he could add a couple of KG in lean muscle without impacting negatively on him.

Just thinking about that time we were first linked to him and I thought it was the worst transfer dealing since Silvio Marić. :yao:

Seen a post on Twitter last night and it is probably right.

Either Cole Palmer or Gordon (probably the latter) will likely miss out on the Euro squad due to Southgate playing/taking Rashford :lol: 

For me the wide left position for England is wide open. It very much feels like the Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes dilemma all over again in trying to get the likes of Saka/Foden/Palmer/Bellingham in the side at the same time.

I think the plan was probably for him to make the RW spot his own (as he's so clear of the competition), with him Isak and Barnes all being able to interchange and operate in either position.

He's been exceptional this season - his end product has gone from 0 to 100 pretty much. I think Howe has to take credit for him getting on the ball in the positions to do real damage, and also for moulding his character into something better than it had been previously.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I think the plan was probably for him to make the RW spot his own (as he's so clear of the competition), with him Isak and Barnes all being able to interchange and operate in either position.

Interchanging will be key as I always get nervous about shoehorning a player to another position after being so successful in another position.

But I agree that it was probably the plan after signing Barnes. Would still like us to sign a player comfortable playing on either side in the summer but is left-footed. Maybe they fancy Minteh for that role and to be gradually eased in.

I've defended Southgate for picking Maguire, Pickford and up until recently Henderson solely on the basis that regardless of club form they've mostly been good for England and the alternatives aren't spectacularly better. 

However, there's clearly no consistency as he's dropped Sterling, who's always performed for England, and persists with Rashford whose record and worth ethic are absolute trash, despite the much better alternatives being available. 

Gordon, Saka, Palmer and Foden are the best and only options behind the central striker IMO for England. That’s an absurd young core. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

One guy is missing from that list.

who did I forget? I’m assuming Jude and Rice play behind a front 4.