Anthony Gordon

Jack27

He definitely made the wrong decision a couple of times but I thought he was really bright when he came on and, with Maxi about spent, looked our most likely source of a goalscoring chance (as proved to be the case). I like his quick feet and have been impressed with the way he manoeuvres his body to open up space or a passing opportunity. Would've been a canny assist had Wilson put that golden chance away. 

That run was great, he did everything right, ran with it for the perfect distance and a great pace and released it with the right weight to the right person. In a way it seems simple but Gordon is clearly extremely good at doing the simple stuff well, which tons of footballers struggle with. His pace and understanding of how to link in with players is going to be massive for us 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, The College Dropout said:

How was he?

Didn't have a significant impact on the game; squandered a huge chance early doors. One or two nice touches but his instinct seems to be to come inside, and he would therefore be better suited on the right.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

How was he?

A non-entity. Whenever he got the ball his immediate thought was to move inside and play it backwards. A bit like a left-sided Miggy on one of his most ineffective days. 

7 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I like him but spending that outlay in the previous window and negating other areas of the squad is really poor recruitment. It’s the first big mistake of this regime for me.

Are the two linked though? Don’t you think they would have signed a CM if they could have found the right deal? 

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Not convinced yet but he is unlucky to not have at least 2 assists (Wilson v West Ham and Liverpool).

Think he looks bright, but having every player running into the middle of the defence just feels bad to me. 

I’m sure Targett will come back in now, so we’ll see what happens. 

I equally think you could let Trippier play inside like City’s fullbacks and play Gordon on the right. 

We are following the Liverpool route in transfers I think, rather than the Arsenal approach. 

Liverpool have been sticking to their targets, if they can’t get them they’ll move on and not sign someone else in that position.  So they get Gakpo but no CMs. Arsenal identify positions and are willing to go down their list.  

Gordon - is a target we rated at a price we were happy with so we got him. 

My issue is him being a rated target in the first place. But after that, I’m fine with the strategy but realise it can leave the squad with gaps.