Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Fuck me he’s been at the club 5 weeks and made one start in a team bang out of form. Give the lad a chance ffs.

Think he‘s looked decent without setting the world alight. Would look infinitely better with a proper LB in the team and Isak up top.

4 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Fuck me he’s been at the club 5 weeks and made one start in a team bang out of form. Give the lad a chance ffs.

Think he‘s looked decent without setting the world alight. Would look infinitely better with a proper LB in the team and Isak up top.

Exactly this, I don’t think people realise how much Burn limits our attacking options down the left, basically whoever is out there has to do it on their own, without that option of an overlap. I think Targett and Gordon could be a tasty duo :aww:

38 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

I’ll judge him when he’s had a run of games in an established position and when we aren’t playing so poorly going forward 

7 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Some sense in these posts! 

43 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He’s supposed to be one of the quickest players in the league but wasn’t interested at all in taking on Walker.

After his debut cameo, he’s shown virtually nothing. Still early days but it’s not unfair to be concerned.

Walker is rapid too though and is one of the best right backs the league has seen

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Bit of a mixed bag from him but he does have a decent eye for an inside pass - another one today led to the Longstaff chance.

I'd play him on the right against Wolves.

Aye. Howe loves his inverted wingers. But 2-3 games of late when Murphy has come on and played right. We have fired in some decent first time crosses. Murphy with a couple today again, along with Willock. 

Think Gordon might get some joy and also have a go down the outside for once. Certainly doesn’t look much of a goal threat cutting in from the left for us and his numbers tell a similar story at Everton. So might be a good position for him?

4 hours ago, mouldy_uk said:

I’ll judge him when he’s had a run of games in an established position and when we aren’t playing so poorly going forward 

Tbf there was nothing in his form prior to joining to say he was anything other than average. I'm just hoping Howes coaching can make a player out of him yet.

Edited by duo

12 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Aye. Howe loves his inverted wingers. But 2-3 games of late when Murphy has come on and played right. We have fired in some decent first time crosses. Murphy with a couple today again, along with Willock. 

Think Gordon might get some joy and also have a go down the outside for once. Certainly doesn’t look much of a goal threat cutting in from the left for us and his numbers tell a similar story at Everton. So might be a good position for him?

When I saw Everton play in friendly here not far from my house he played on the right. I'll leave it to Eddie to know where best he'd help but I like the notion. ASM-Gordon on the wings. 

7 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Ansolutely no supporter from Burn.

Feel for him.

No surprise that whoever plays in front of Burn struggles. I love him but he’s not a footballer and it must be so frustrating playing on the left and looking at Trippier on the right linking up with Almiron.

5 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Would have two assists to his name if not for a class tackle by that West Ham defender and a piss poor finish by Wilson. 

After Botman, Gordon has our highest passing completion ratio. My impression is that Gordon is neat but kind of playing within himself and not taking risks. It's speculation, but this is what you might expect with a young player who has joined a bigger team and doesn't want to make mistakes and mess up. There's definitely more to come.

I still don't fully get why we bought him in Jan when we were crying out for a CM.  The only thing I can assume is he was a longterm target who came available at the price the club were willing to pay, so struck a deal quickly to beat the competition.  But he is very much a work in progress and I can't seem him having much of an impact this season - more one for next. Howe needs time to work his magic.

Edited by duo

4 minutes ago, duo said:

I still don't fully get why we bought him in Jan when we were crying out for a CM.  The only thing I can assume is he was a longterm target who came available at the price the club were willing to pay, so struck a deal quickly to beat the competition.  But he is very much a work in progress and I can't seem him having much of an impact this season - more one for next. Howe needs time to work his magic.

That’s fair. I think with Wood and Shelvey going and also signing Gordon. Then if a deal can be done that isn’t necessarily best for the team now. But viewed as a longer term positive. Then they will 100% do it for these reasons. 

I think you’re spot on with Gordon. Would have made far more sense to sign a CM for that money. But if nobody high enough up their list was available. Then they weren’t going to ‘waste’ it on someone and possibly miss out on other targets/Gordon in the summer because of it.  

9 minutes ago, duo said:

I think that’s the case going by what I think Caulkin said on a podcast I listened to. 

Im not expecting him to light the world up, but like I said they are just concerns I had with him at Everton, and that I’m seeing here, coachable hopefully of course. I was never his biggest fan, but obviously I want him to succeed here, if he loses a 1v1 vs Walker that’s football but I want him to at least try to beat him, otherwise we may as well play ASM there, who did beat him constantly 

In the two matches where he's had more than a square inch of room to operate in he's looked like the most creative player on the pitch (West Ham, Liverpool). Bournemouth he was out of position and yesterday he was admittedly quiet, against one of the best RBs in the league. 

Notwithstanding the obvious caveat that he's only been here five minutes, on the whole I think there's been more to be encouraged by than not. Importantly, he needs to stay in the team, preferably at the expense of Almiron; Miggy needs a rest and I think Gordon would be more suited to the right in any case. 

Still very early for him, feels very harsh to judge him against the toughest team in the league. As with any new players, he needs a run in the team to get up to speed. It's never as simple as just plugging a player into a new set-up and expecting them to hit the ground running - especially a young player who has moved team for the first time, he'll need more than a month of sub appearances to adjust.