Anthony Gordon

Jack27

22 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. He’s hit the Robben finish a few times this season. But generally his ball striking is average.  He’s not got that elite technique. 

Sancho also has that lack of pace. But Sancho has greater balance and technique. Sancho would’ve been better off going to the Champo rather than the Bundesliga.  He doesn’t know how to scrap it out and fight. He’s not got that dawg in him. He’s as talented as Saka but Saka’s application is 10/10. Any fullback in the world is going to suffer playing Saka.  Saka will demand the ball, muscle you, run you, dribble you, ran off your back for 90 minutes. Sancho could never. 

Such a rogue comment given what Dortmund did for his career :lol:

7 hours ago, Kanji said:

Gordon is an interesting player, few times yesterday I’d have liked to see him carry the ball into space with pace but he opted to pass early and it was intercepted. For that chance for Isak I’d have figured he’d have tried to just beat Lisandro with pace and get a shot off. 

Yeah when he won possession and immediately passed to Isak down the right hand side he had time to take a few more touches to allow Isak to curve his run and rather play it down the middle. Was acres of space and should have been a great chance. 

Think he just need some more time to settle to gain confidence in his own ability and status in the team. Seems to be a bit nervous still and thus goes for the easier options. A goal would do him wonders

27 minutes ago, BergenMagpie said:

Yeah when he won possession and immediately passed to Isak down the right hand side he had time to take a few more touches to allow Isak to curve his run and rather play it down the middle. Was acres of space and should have been a great chance. 

Think he just need some more time to settle to gain confidence in his own ability and status in the team. Seems to be a bit nervous still and thus goes for the easier options. A goal would do him wonders

Nailed on against Everton at Goodison at the end of the month

35 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Such a rogue comment given what Dortmund did for his career :lol:

IMO it hasn't equipped him for an EPL career. Bundesliga is technical and fast paced but doesn't have the same physicality or pressure which is what Sancho needs to develop. He wouldn't have had the caps earlier in his career that he got but he would be in a better position now.

Sancho has had youth football and Bundesliga football and began to believe his own hype. The EPL is different gravy and he's struggling with it mentally and physically. There's this clip of him and Saka from a few years ago in England training while Sancho was at Dortmund. I think Saka did better at some training practice (shooting or something) and was bragging about it in a joking manner. Sancho said something like "ok but who has more goals and assists this season? Who has more goals and assists?" all banter but it spoke to his mindset. He thought his Dortmund career meant he had made it and was levels.

This is Sancho specific. He's a classy, technical player. If he wants a top level EPL career he needed to learn the other side of the game.

48 minutes ago, BergenMagpie said:

Looking at his career - that's probably the side of his game that needs to mature and develop. Technically he seems pretty solid but he doesn't have that nous in terms of timing, decision making etc.

Thought he had a really strange cameo appearance tonight- didn't do anything wrong per se, and was involved in a couple of good moves but he just doesn't seem as intense or as positive as I'd expect/hoped he'd be. 

Yeh, he was definitely involved in some nice bits of play (although I felt that was partly down to West Ham downing tools by that point imo), but thought he turned back a fair bit when Id have exoected him to push forward and just wasn't as intense as I'd expect him to be considering he's not played much. Compare that to say Isak who came on as chased down everything as well as being positive with the ball anytime he had it, I just thought it was a good, but subdued performance from him.

Edited by Thumbheed

20 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Yeh, he was definitely involved in some nice bits of play (although I felt that was partly down to West Ham downing tools by that point imo), but thought he turned back a fair bit when Id have exoected him to push forward and just wasn't as intense as I'd expect him to be considering he's not played much. Compare that to say Isak who came on as chased down everything as well as being positive with the ball anytime he had it, I just thought it was a good, but subdued performance from him.

I'd imagine the players were instructed not to take any unnecessary risks at 3-1 when he came on and just manage the game out, hence the more passive approach going forward.

He was still pretty sharp defensively but with games in quick succession we weren't going to going all out at the point he came on. 

Great sliding tackle where he went in hard and came away with the ball.

As others have said, he's the perfect substitute right now. Great to bring on if we need a goal and Great to bring on for more energy to keep a lead also.

I think we won’t see him at full flight for a while, and that’s totally fine. He does seem sometimes unsure of his actual intent. But he’s young and got all the skill to be a top player. 

Have a feeling he’s going to play a big part in the team these last 10 games. As in a couple of vital moments that turn games for us. He had a very good game for Everton at Brentford start of season so wouldn’t be surprised if Murphy gets a rest. Can’t see EH rushing Miggy back either until 100%.