[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

Never been arsed about it. You've got the "brand". There's more than one Real in Spain for example and I'm guilty of referring to Real Madrid as "Real" and you often see in the Other Games Thread people just saying "City" for Manchester City, probably when they've been playing Stoke in the past or Leicester too.

I much prefer being "Newcastle" in the media, it's our city. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Well this is it, build up week.

Not buying into any of the negativity, I think we can and will give them a hell of a game. First tine we’ve been pretty much full strength all season (minus pope), Bruno will be huge and can totally see him grabbing the game by its neck, ASM and Isak both looking good on Saturday, and despite the lack of goals it’s not through a lack of chances, law of averages suggest we’ll take a couple soon enough. 

Fuck Man United, get into them, start fast and hard. Eddie leading the team out, Wembley, black and white everywhere, a cup final…. 

If you can’t get excited for this then you’re in the wrong sport. Win lose or draw, we’ll support you ever more. Come on! 😊

12 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Not buying into any of the negativity, I think we can and will give them a hell of a game. First tine we’ve been pretty much full strength all season (minus pope), Bruno will be huge and can totally see him grabbing the game by its neck, ASM and Isak both looking good on Saturday, and despite the lack of goals it’s not through a lack of chances, law of averages suggest we’ll take a couple soon enough. 

Fuck Man United, get into them, start fast and hard. Eddie leading the team out, Wembley, black and white everywhere, a cup final…. 

If you can’t get excited for this then you’re in the wrong sport. Win lose or draw, we’ll support you ever more. Come on! 😊

100%

This is it. This week is why we bother. We follow football for the buzz, the excitement. We’re playing in a major cup final Wembley. Recent results might not have been what we wanted, but worry about losing if and when it happens. This week, the build up, every interview, is there to be soaked up and enjoyed.

If you’re under 30, you’ve never experienced this before. We think and hope we’ll be experiencing it far more regularly in future, but who knows, enjoy the here and now.

When people talked about Mike Ashley destroying things for a generation of fans, this week was what he was destroying. The hope of something genuinely exciting.

Newcastle United are back this week. Enjoy it.

22 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Fucking yes

Get that in ya fucking docrementary

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I like Hope, but this seems poor.

Screenshot_20230220-065635.png

Always hard to tell when the journalists writing ends and the editors writing starts. Certainly it is the editor who writes the headlines.

Far from being worried about the game itself, I'm more worried about our fans reaction should we lose.

If some were prepared to throw their toys out of the pram because we lost against current champions league finalists, what are they going to be like in a cup final?

IF we lose, I hope our fans stay and applaud our boys off the pitch and thank them for getting us to the first final in 20 years, rather than to social media to bitch and moan.

Just now, STM said:

Far from being worried about the game itself, I'm more worried about our fans reaction should we lose.

If some were prepared to throw their toys out of the pram because we lost against current champions league finalists, what are they going to be like in a cup final?

IF we lose, I hope our fans stay and applaud our boys off the pitch and thank them for getting us to the first final in 20 years, rather than to social media to bitch and moan.

I sort of understand where you’re coming from here, but do you really care more about what some idiots think than the outcome of a cup final your team are playing in?

There’s loads of idiots around mate, football fandom is a reflection of wider society, I wouldn’t trust most of them to lock the front door. Fuck what they think, it means nowt, just enjoy the week.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

I sort of understand where you’re coming from here, but do you really care more about what some idiots think than the outcome of a cup final your team are playing in?

There’s loads of idiots around mate, football fandom is a reflection of wider society, I wouldn’t trust most of them to lock the front door. Fuck what they think, it means nowt, just enjoy the week.

Fair point.

The truth is I REALLY want us to win the final but even more than that I REALLY want nothing to rock the boat in terms of our progression. Perhaps I'm overstating the influence our fans have on the players, to make the wider point about some not being able to see the bigger picture after a tough 90 minutes.

4 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Man U play Thursday night in what looks likely to be a very competitive European game than have to recover in time to play us on Sunday, looking likely they will go full strength against Barca also

Massive advantage for us this in my opinion, they take some getting over these games

I'm not so sure the truth in this. After all, our form has seemingly slumped since only having 1 game a week.

There's something to be said about the flow of having regular matches, provided you have the squad to cope.

I actually think it doesn't suit us whatsoever to have a full week's training between games. Our squad would probably benefit from a mini fixture pile up.

Man United are riding the crest of a wave. If they beat Barca on Thursday, nothing will have changed.

Edited by STM

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Fair point.

The truth is I REALLY want us to win the final but even more than that I REALLY want nothing to rock the boat in terms of our progression. Perhaps I'm overstating the influence our fans have on the players, to make the wider point about some not being able to see the bigger picture after a tough 90 minutes.

Yeah, I get it. I honestly don’t think anything is going to get in the way of our progression though, we’ve got committed owners and the right head coach. I’m sure the vast majority will applaud the team off on Sunday no matter what.

I’d be tempted to play Isak for the change in style. Didn’t Wilson have a pretty poor game against these lot in the league game with Varane easily dealing with him? In saying that he did have that stonewall penalty incident, but I remember being frustrated with him

16 minutes ago, STM said:

There's something to be said about the flow of having regular matches, provided you have the squad to cope.

Yeah, we don't. We signed two players on emergency loans in January. :lol: I was actually happy to see McTominay back.

We've looked a bit leggy, but the quality is still there. Shocked he left Bruno Fernandes on for the full 90 against Leicester. 

I’m shitting myself and been a bit down about it to be honest.

With all the talk of Man Utd being in form, us losing form. The finals in the 90’s. I never really followed football back then, but I remember getting caught up in the buzz. I remember watching the games and not knowing what was happening but just knowing that the other team had scored and that we were going to lose.

Just after that my mam met my stepdad and he got me into football. I remember the semi’s against Marseille when I thought we would do it, then the semi final against Man Utd and Quarter final against Lisbon.

I cried myself asleep when Sporting beat us. The Alkmaar defeat a few years later also hurt, as did the Benfica game.

I had tried to resign myself to us never winning anything again, but we all live in hope no matter how much we deny it.

As much as we are the worlds richest team, and people expect us to go on and compete and win trophies, nothing is guaranteed. This could still be the last chance any of us have of seeing us win something.

To get this far, to make this much progress and to be done by those pack of bastards who’s fan base will largely be treating this game as a Pre-season friendly would hurt.

No team automatically deserves to win something, but nor do we deserve to lose once again, nor do most Man Utd fans deserve to win something that they have little respect for.

Everything will click, Bruno is back, everyone will be back in their familiar positions, Maxi looks back to his normal self, we will be fresher than them, we will be angry about losing to Liverpool, they think they’ve won already and we will be after them from the off. We’ll have this sewn up in the first 30

mins, Trippier is lifting that trophy.