[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

So, I am currently in Toon sat in a cafe. I got a big promotion last week at work so thought i would celebrate at short notice, I live down North Yorkshire way and haven't been up in a while, thought I'd see if any old mates about (they weren't lol), went round old haunts (one of which has been ruined by new management I guess booo) and went to the Cluny for a Terry Hall tribute night where all the bands had got Covid, but oh well was fun. 

The town feels very quiet though, like one big intake of breath. (I am aware probably cos a lot of people aren't here) Everywhere I've gone snippets of conversations about it. Sat in Trent House yesterday guy at next table was discussing his plans on phone, lucky bastard had tickets and was setting off at 5am today. 

I am driving back down to Teesside shortly to sit cramped up in the living room of friend who nearly 15 years ago dragged me to newcastle matches in the days I was tentatively getting into sport. The only sport tolerated in my house growing up was Tennis, but I was free and at uni and casting about for new connections. I fell in love with the city and part of that seemed to be falling in love with NUFC even though it was already clear to me then it was a shadow of a club. 

I'll sit with his kids, the oldest is football mad, and he will probably grow up thinking this is normal, ambition, cup finals. Hopefully me and his dad can keep him grounded. The last decade and so have still got me thinking fatalistically. I am still expecting us to roar into a 2-0 lead then lose to a Rashford hat trick. Always assuming the worst. But how magical might it be if I'm dancing round the room in a few hours?

Edited by Tiresias

Guess who has tested positive for Covid, this morning whilst I was finishing my sleepover shift at work. That's ballsed up my plans for the day - was gonna watch with my old man. :(

However, will watch at home with our lass, loaded with paracetamol and copious amounts of tea. :thup:

1 minute ago, Big Geordie said:

Guess who has tested positive for Covid, this morning whilst I was finishing my sleepover shift at work. That's ballsed up my plans for the day - was gonna watch with my old man. :(

However, will watch at home with our lass, loaded with paracetamol and copious amounts of tea. :thup:

Get well soon dude 

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Exact same. Dad and brother are positive too so just going to gather around and watch it together. 

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Exact same. Dad and brother are positive too so just going to gather around and watch it together. 

Am wondering if I've caught it off my dad, as he's been unwell. Thing is, I can't go and test him and I'm not sure if my sister is that bothered for doing it too. :(

15 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Feel better soon man. FWIW you're 100% doing the right thing and not risking it with your dad - yous can celebrate together after we've lifted the thing!

Nerves kicking in now, need to go for a shit shower and shave but convinced I'm gonna injure meself somehow doing one of them, don't remember feeling like this in the 90s, suppose never thought then it would be a quarter of a century to be here again.

Just don't freeze lads!