Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Just now, leffe186 said:

I was just questioning the “whole thing” phrase - just seemed like over-egging the pudding. The authorities have been trying to shut the stable door for years and years, and clearly it’s been unworkable/failed as shown by Man City’s rise. 

Fair enough if that's your point. 

I feel there has definitely been a reaction to our takeover which has led to some very questionable policies going through, but aye it definitely isn't all in place just because of us. Agreed. :lol:

23 minutes ago, Fatwax said:

Fair enough if that's your point. 

I feel there has definitely been a reaction to our takeover which has led to some very questionable policies going through, but aye it definitely isn't all in place just because of us. Agreed. :lol:

:lol: Just picking nits, really.

It sounds like Everton did some horrific accounting, I can't help thinking the people that fucked them over should be punished and not the club/fans. For what it's worth the EPL did a shit job of regulation as well.

2 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Why do you say that? FFP was agreed in 2009 by UEFA and implemented two years later. It was obviously set up - at least in part - to try to stop somebody coming in, buying any club and then throwing money at the wall. For many reasons, some nefarious, some not. Of course 13 years later it was you that got bought by a country and so you’re in their sights now.

Sure, things have been in place for a long time. But the goalposts have been moved a few times in the last couple of years, and it's hard not to think it's directly because of our situation.

3 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

To play Devil's Advocate we're only 2½ years in, we've had one CL run and could still end up in Europe again next season despite our crippling injury situation. 

Fair. 

But Leicester won the league, look at them now. Several teams have snuck into the top 4 every now and again (Villa could do it this year), and the 'big' clubs are quick to point and go "look, it can be done!" but nobody ever sustains it because you have to keep getting those transfers right time and time again, and that's almost impossible. 

Look at the favoured 6 who can spunk £50-£80m on someone who flops and then just shrug and try again. Without the finances to match the favoured 6, our odds of sustained success are not high.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Sure, things have been in place for a long time. But the goalposts have been moved a few times in the last couple of years, and it's hard not to think it's directly because of our situation.

It's a Tottenham fan who wants to look at his own owners first and the fact that the corrupt cunts are shitting it so much, that they are trying to put every obstacle in the way. The problem is that more of the other clubs are now starting to have the current made up rules affect them also. The tide is turning. 

So..do we think we think 14 clubs will vote for the luxury tax, if it's even a thing? 

Seems like a big carrot to clubs, those currently on bubble and even our rivals that could benefit from making the most of the luxury tax loophole.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

So..do we think we think 14 clubs will vote for the luxury tax, if it's even a thing? 

Seems like a big carrot to clubs, those currently on bubble and even our rivals that could benefit from making the most of the luxury tax loophole.

Brighton and Brentford could be two that might be against changing to that kind of system, but I reckon they'd be the only ones. I'm still skeptical that this is even going to change in the summer, surely there's too much paperwork and legal conversations to be had to get it voted through before start of next season.

3 hours ago, lovejoy said:

Papers tomorrow reckon Everton could be facing a third deduction 

Just relegate them and be done with it FFS! 🤣

5 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I see Delaney on Sky today supposedly talking about Everton spent most of the time talking about Newcastle. 

Total gimp of a man (u fan).

Because Man City have vehemently denied every single charge so if you go in underprepared against their very expensive lawyers you will lose. It’s not simple and will take a long time to come to a head

8 hours ago, lovejoy said:

Papers tomorrow reckon Everton could be facing a third deduction 

Did they really use a dodgy related party deal as an excuse for overspending? They have a fucking cheek i will give them that

Listening to something today which suggested that FFP penalties will be fines and not points deductions from next season.

Anyone else heard that? If so it will be an absolute joke for the mega rich top clubs and they might as well scrap it.

9 minutes ago, Django said:

Listening to something today which suggested that FFP penalties will be fines and not points deductions from next season.

Anyone else heard that? If so it will be an absolute joke for the mega rich top clubs and they might as well scrap it.

It was rumoured by one journalist, with the fines being described as a "luxury tax".

Other journalists have since come out to say there probably will still be points deductions.

It may be that these were all options being discussed, but the short of it is that while the rules are likely to change, it doesn't sound like anyone is sure what to.

14 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Just makes me fucking angry reading about the Cartel Six, or the Sneaky Six as Maguire has labelled them. Feels like a proper stitch up after Leicester won the Prem, as obviously thatbe allowed to happen again - especially in the eyes of the Man U, Arse and Pool owners.

Edited by Turnbull2000

21 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Having read the article, which is self serving drivel and has the cheek to talk about the need to maintain "competitive balance", I couldn't agree more every bit of criticism that comes Masters way.

He is the problem, which is exactly what the most recommended comment on there says.

Keep politics out of the game? [emoji38] It's already in it, as he well knows.

I'm also not sure about a government regulator, but I do think a bit of light into the backroom politics of the PL, however that is done, is the only way.

I'm not sure how truly independent this regulator can be. I can see the value of regulations to govern expenditure and debt, which would apply across the board. That sort of regulation exists in various areas of the financial and commercial sector. But the regulator's remit also seems to extend to deciding how much income should be redistributed from the wealthy to the more impoverished. That seems to me to be a political decision, rather than one of independent regulation. The EFL clubs seem to have decided that whatever the Premiership offers, they're bound to get a better deal from the independent regulator, for which read the government.

There is a strong case for evening out the income differences between the PL and the EFL, and between the Champions League elite and the rest of the Premiership. The current situation tends to ossify certain groups, and leads to owners taking risks to bridge those gaps which can lead to financial difficulty or falling foul of the FFP regulations. If the new regulator can come up with a coherent plan to improve that situation, then fair enough. The current reality is that there are different vested interests, and a genuine overall consensus is well nigh impossible to achieve.