Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Standard issue NUFC Wembley final display during my lifetime. Felt like Arsenal in 98 and Man Utd in 99. If they needed to go through the gears they would have but didn’t need to.

Hoping we can get the players through the door in the next season or two to start making it competitive but will need ruthless precision from Eddie and team with FFP constantly acting as a handbrake.

It’s very much the start for us - proud of the journey we have been on - so many things to look forward to - yes I am gutted but I am looking at the bigger picture - the next final we reach, we will go into it a lot more confident - no more the underdogs 

32 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Some of you lot and this magic transfer window. How has it worked out for Chelsea getting in all those players to turn around their fortunes?

Getting more quality in the first team or even the squad was incredibly necessary. You only have to look at our business last January to see how effective bringing in new players can be.

3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Special 'word' for the Man United fans - they seemed more intent on goading Shearer than supporting their own club (that I heard on Sky) It's been nearly 30 years, FFS.

Wankers.

Oh - and Gary Neville calling them 'United' on the commentary. :thdn:

Only chant I heard from them was 10 minutes from full time when they were chanting for the glaziers out.

50 seconds from the final whistle and their players had to try and get them to cheer.

There isn’t a Man Utd fan out there, all just people who have a passing interest at football and want to say they like to be included, but have picked a team that typically wins in order to gourd other fans. 

Fair play to Man Utd, it was a tactical lesson that I really hope we learn from. 
What defines Eddie Howe’s reign is not what has happened up to this point, it’s what we learn from this going forward.

We have No plan B and haven’t had all season. “Intensity is our identity” is all well and good but when you have no backup it’s just words. Physically we should be frightening but we don’t impose ourselves in that way. We just roll over.  

In all honesty, I expected us to lose today but I didn’t expect us to lose so gutlessly. This final came too early for us but going through 95 minutes with zero shots, given the quality of players we had on the pitch, is a massive disappointment. 
I really hope everyone who went today had an amazing time. I just hoped for something, anything to cheer about. 

12 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We’ll never win anything in my lifetime. I’m resigned to that. I’ll enjoy lots of 2nd places.

Used to be the way I saw things (not being overtly pessimistic either) but I genuinely believe things have changed and now I think it’s likely we will win something before I depart for tother side.

For the best part of a decade and a half we asked (rightly so) for a club that tried, not from expectations or demands of success (let’s leave that to those self entitled “fans” of certain other clubs), but from aspirations of wanting to be the best we can be.

We now have ownership that allows us to believe this may be possible. That the decades of mismanagement and poor decision making that saw clubs who were inferior to us (historically) outpace us in the 60s, 70s is over.

We have a club that cares again, that in some ways matches our aspirations and dreams.

We have the best, or certainly one of the best, young managers at the club at the right moment for both us and him.

I expected to not win today. Not from a doom and gloom perspective, but because our team and wider squad at the moment is inferior to the opposition we were facing and from the viewpoint of we have been hugely overachieving so far this season.

Looking at it pragmatically two other clubs of equal status and something alike in in history as well have gone through what we have. Both involved then being bought by wealthy backers/owners and they both turned their histories of being clubs who lost rather than win things around. 

I genuinely believe we will too in time.

We should be very proud of what we did to get to this final. Disappointed? Of course but better times are ahead for us and our quite simply amazing fanbase.

Howay the lads and well done to everyone at the match today. Awesome support for the best club from the best city in England.

:indi:

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We had a massive chance which I don’t think we’ll get next season and didn’t double down, that’s all.

This is a bit myopic imo. And it doesn't help your position for you to declare that your opinion is correct. You and many others were absolutely dead wrong about Howe back in early 22.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Find it crazy that thinking we didn't do enough in the January window is even controversial. We have no options to change a game and lately have been struggling to even put an 11 together.

I don’t.

Why should we risk FFP to get overpriced players in?

We’re building, we’ll get the players we need in the right way 

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Find it crazy that thinking we didn't do enough in the January window is even controversial. We have no options to change a game and lately have been struggling to even put an 11 together.

It’s not that no-one thinks that a spending money in the window wouldn’t help - it’s the fact that the club is handcuffed by FFP are close to the spending limit on it.  Most of the ones whinging about it I can guarantee are the ones who really thought this was a Man City-style takeover - those of us who knew it wasn’t are the one’s getting frustrated with this latter.  

I'm definitely not one to say "you can't/ shouldn't criticise/be disappointed," if you're crestfallen, totally fair enough, it's a sickener. But speaking entirely personally, it's just not what I'm feeling. The club represented itself magnificently and I've been bursting with pride all day. It was a great occasion but it just wasn't meant to be. This time. 

Obviously gutted, partly because it's the first cup final I can remember (was tough to get games in Canada back in the 90s) and also because it was the first cup final my granda hasn't been around for. Being stuck home sick meant I couldn't meet up with my dad and brother for it as well. But honestly, I never would have dreamed of being in any sort of cup final this soon after the takeover. Clearly there's some weaknesses in the squad that a decade of mismanagement has led to but this seems like another step in the right direction. And even from Canada, the fans sounded absolutely amazing all match.

Can't fault much really. That we get out of what we have performances that match anybody is fantastic and as a whole we did okay, actually for me we didn't deserve to lose that.

Its a concern at the moment that a couple purples have switched sides in Trippier and Wilson, the second of which is a weak link at the moment, offering little and not even an outlet for an aerial ball like Wood. We really need a vibrant forward to capitalise on the overall team play.

Strongly suspected we'd lose, was pretty much certain by half-time and yet like 98 and 99 that sickening feeling has come over nonetheless.

Can't deal with the slap in the face of the barely celebrating opponents right now.

Ffs man I was considering self taxidermy had we won.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Only chant I heard from them was 10 minutes from full time when they were chanting for the glaziers out.

50 seconds from the final whistle and their players had to try and get them to cheer.

There isn’t a Man Utd fan out there, all just people who have a passing interest at football and want to say they like to be included, but have picked a team that typically wins in order to gourd other fans. 

Mackem mates who went in 2014 said the same about Man City. Sunderland turned up, same way we did, and made all the noise and occasion. Man City fans came down on the day, barely made a peep bar the three goals and went straight home after the match. Nice day out but bigger fish to fry was their crack. Fucking arseholes. 

Edited by Nucasol

Just now, Yorkie said:

I'm definitely not one to say "you can't/ shouldn't criticise/be disappointed," if you're crestfallen, totally fair enough, it's a sickener. But speaking entirely personally, it's just not what I'm feeling. The club represented itself magnificently and I've been bursting with pride all day. It was a great occasion but it just wasn't meant to be. This time. 

I’m proud of the club and our fans, however I’m still disappointed we lost, and also it’s much more bitter because they got the decision which won them the game.