Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 04/03/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

26 minutes ago, TBG said:

Gillespie

Manquillo        Lascelles     Targett     Lewis

Murphy          Schar         Anderson

Isak       Gordon   Ritchie

The fact that this is a better team than some we've legit put out as our strongest over the last 15 years is absolutely insane.

On 02/03/2023 at 10:08, Rich said:

Pope

Trippier Schär Botman Targett

Joelinton Guimarães Willock

Gordon Isak Saint-Maximin

If there's to be no change of shape, this is what I'd like to see at the weekend.

Karius, Manquillo, Lascelles, Burn, Longstaff, Anderson, Murphy, Almirón, and Wilson on the bench.

Swap Joelinton and Willock around and it's a stronger left side to free up ASM.

Just now, mighty__mag said:

Swap Joelinton and Willock around and it's a stronger left side to free up ASM.

Specifically did the opposite, tbh. We need to improve offensively above all else, and Willock is decently more effective on the left side. He seems to have a good understanding with Maxi, too.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It's going to be a laugh when we're unchanged. 

:lol:

Wouldn't be totally surprised, but if there was ever a time for change it's surely now. Just a shame this is the first fucking fixture after the final.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Specifically did the opposite, tbh. We need to improve offensively above all else, and Willock is decently more effective on the left side. He seems to have a good understanding with Maxi, too.

In any other games, but vs Man City, myself personally, I cant speak for ASM, but I'd want the presence of Joelinton. 

Either way, I'm not sure Eddie will be brave enough to roll this line up out, I'd expect Burn and Miggy still, probably also Longstaff. 

But I'm there with any teams that offer more effective attacking, I mean it's really dried up of late.

So fingers crossed ??

Edited by mighty__mag

1 minute ago, Rich said:

:lol:

Wouldn't be totally surprised, but if there was ever a time for change it's surely now. Just a shame this is the first fucking fixture after the final.

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

As a fanbase we see Almiron and Wilson struggling in front of goal and it's only natural that we want to see Howe change it up. As a minimum, I'd like to see Isak in for Wilson.

At the same time Howe has said that he bases his team selection on training as well as match performance. At this moment in time, Isak may not be capable of executing what Howe wants him to and could be concerned about another performance like Bournemouth away. As we've seen with Wood, he'll be balancing Wilson's form v his function within the team, the same goes for Isak.

From what I've see, Isak is made for games where the opposition will come at us where he can isolate defenders and run in behind. I'd like to see Howe take the plunge sooner rather than later. Wolves will be a different beast entirely. 

I’m thinking neither Wilson nor Maxi will start and assuming Targett is fit. So, whilst there probably won’t be much change, this is my ‘flight of fancy’ of a horses for courses team.
So maybe:

Pope

Schar  Botman  Burn  
Trippier                            Targett 

Longstaff  Bruno  Joelinton 

Isak  Gordon 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny
Correct number of players!

7 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’m thinking neither Wilson nor Maxi will start and assuming Targett is fit. So, whilst there probably won’t be much change, this is my ‘flight of fancy’ of a horses for course team. (Maybe swap Targett, stick with back four, for Longstaff in the middle). 
So maybe:

Pope

Schar  Botman  Burn  
Trippier                            Targett 

Bruno      Joelinton 

Isak  Gordon 

I admire the confidence in putting out 10 men against City.

personally, the post-cup final depression is starting to lift.

hopeful of scraping a scabby draw here.

hope the players are similarly getting over last weekend and getting hyped for the rest of the season and an assualt on a european place.

Just now, huss9 said:

personally, the post-cup final depression is starting to lift.

hopeful of scraping a scabby draw here.

hope the players are similarly getting over last weekend and getting hyped for the rest of the season and an assualt on a european place.

That’s the ticket! I liked how smiley they seemed in training pics. 

I don't think we'll get humped like most are predicting. Even when we've been below par this season we've been competitive. 

Obviously if City click and the Norwegian goal nonce is on it they're almost impossible to stop, but they've looked more vulnarable at times this season, particularly at the back. I think we'll make it an awkward game for them.

Edited by The Prophet

I have a feeling Gordon will start.  I just think it might be for ASM and not Almiron.  Hope I'm wrong and Isak, Gordon and ASM all start.  Fairly lightweight front three, but Wilson isn't exactly a physical threat at the minute, anyway.  

2 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Personally think he’ll give Longstaff, Wilson and ASM a break. Then think he may give Burn a break Vs Wolves.

I think we’ll line up

Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Willock, Bruno, Joelinton, Miggy, Isak, Gordon.

Surely ASM doesn’t need a break ? He’s hardly played this season.

As others have said, feel its likely that (despite all the talk) we will actually be unchanged (Pope aside). I do think Targett needs to be back in the side, but Eddie won't want to have a player just coming back from injury starting against a side like Man City. Feel like the most likely change is Isak in for Wilson, but even that is hardly nailed on.