Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 04/03/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

I'm going to throw this game into being the end of phase 2 of the season. Phase 1 was until the world cup break, phase 2 was taken up with the cup. Phase 3 is Wolves (which can't come soon enough) to the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm going to throw this game into being the end of phase 2 of the season. Phase 1 was until the world cup break, phase 2 was taken up with the cup. Phase 3 is Wolves (which can't come soon enough) to the end of the season.

Phase 3 was the superior stage of the journey to End Game, but phase 4 kinda sucked so hopefully that is pre season!

Probably the best game to get out the way straight after the cup final , no pressure everyone expecting us to get beat , better than playing a game where we are expected to win and dropping more points in. Get this one out the way then beat Wolves next week and be back on track.

No one thinking Schär had concussion before we conceded the two goals Sunday? Maybe Burn across and a start for Targett which will help ASM’s game out. Gordon in for Miggy. Willock didn’t look right so I’d leave on the bench or out of squad for more winnable games personally. Guessing if Bruno is knackered he’ll try Anderson again 😬  Two up top I always think can work against Man City if physical enough. Not sure Wilson and Isak as a pair are but you never know.

Watching Lech Poznan Friday night with unlimited beer for 5 hours and will be out late with missus after so going to be struggling for this. 1.30pm kick off. Get some scran and watch at a pub. Tough game. Hope we can nick a point but expect 3-1 loss.

I would go for a interchangeable front 3 of Isak, Maxi and Gordon, we need to try something different and this game is just a free hit with no pressure so worth seeing how they work together. I think them as front 3 will cause problems for anyone.

Edited by Geogaddi

This game will likely force us into playing counter attack, which may be a better tactic currently with the players we have available and our press no longer being as effective. 

Just realised I'm in the safe standing area - lovely (not that it matters at aways mind!)!

Safe Standing at Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium

Throughout the trial period, Manchester City fans who hold season tickets in the club’s rail seating installation in the South Stand of the Etihad Stadium will have the opportunity to stand for the duration of the match, should they wish to do so. Level 1 (blocks 113 and 114) of the visitors’ section is also included.

While there are teams and their supporters  that I dislike (rags, L'pool, Villa, dirty Leeds) I usually look forward to City v. Newcastle. Might be partly on account of City winning about 16 of the last 20 meetings, or Tueart's overhead kick in the LC Final in '76, or being at SJP to see City win the league on the last day of the season in 1968.  But there've been other memorable games besides. Remember Keegan's emotional reception at SJP with his City side around 2002 in an F.A. Cup tie? Newcastle won. Also a thrilling 3-3 draw at Maine Road sometime in the '90s.  And a long, long time ago there was a Cup tie at Maine Road in 1957 (I was eight) which Newcastle won 5-4. I'd been going - being taken - to see City for a couple of years already but this was my first experience of a match with many supporters of both teams all mixed together. Thousands & thousands of Geordies in every part of the ground, they got Blaydon Races going and it went on and on, I'd heard nothing like it before. None of them took their shirts off, mind.  My dad told me they were alright as they were mostly pitmen, as he was. Probably not many left from then who'll be at the Etihad this weekend.

Anyway here's some things expect on Saturday:

Pep will pick eleven players, no one can say in what combination. 

Trams from town to the Etihad will be infrequent and overcrowded. 

Trams from the Etihad back to town will be infrequent and overcrowded.

Lots of empty seats in the stadium after 80 minutes, people going for the trams.

Your fans will sing that tired old WWYWYWS song (ok, it's a bit of fun, so expect a reply about the 18,000 scattered around SJP in the 1980s.) 

Look out for young Alvarez, if he gets on the pitch. He's fast, a natural goalscorer, tireless. You should buy him if he leaves at the end of the season after ManU & L'pool (= the P.L) get City sent down to the Third Division or beyond. 

I'm back over from across the ocean for this, my first game of the season.

7-0? (not really.) 

I for one am not looking forward to this. 

Finding it tough to muster any positivity for it and don't expect a performance on par with the game at SJP. 

Having said that, we'll be fully prepared to give our best again and can't ask for more than that. 

On 26/02/2023 at 21:10, Conjo said:

Fuuuuck...are these next? :lol: Was hoping for something like a Wolves or Palace to give us a better chance at turning the second half of the season around.

Aye fuck that. After 3 tedious games (5 hours plus of nowt much happening) against those boring swines, i'd rather play anyone else, even City.

I know they have hit a bit more form, of late. But Everton drew there, Brentford won and Spurs went in 2-0 up at half time. Before going all Spursy. 

We are ‘annoying’ to play against, as the other manager in Manchester pointed out. So why can’t we nick a result? 

4-0 incoming :lol: 

I’ve written this one off in my head already, though a narrow defeat and good general performance wouldn’t be the end of the world.  Can’t see us getting a point at the moment, but you never know, Man City this year haven’t quite looked like themselves.