Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 04/03/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

MC v NU

First followed/seen: 93/94 2-1 (Platinum club job)

First attended: 94/95 League Cup 1-1 (missed our goal)

Best: the 3-3 in 95/96 felt sloppy but probably best objectively, league cup game above was probably actually better

Worst: Baring the league cup under Pardew and the two above they've all been bad and just blend into one - this c*nt'll be no different I imagine

Best goal: Sissoko at the above probably (nicely taken Beardsley in 83/84)

Would have cared more for this fixture if our defence were as strong as it was before the turn of the year. Since the Fulham game, eventhough we still hadn't conceded, the backline started to feel wobbly right until the clean sheet run was ended and it has continued ever since. Never mind scoring goals, we're leaking some too now.

Edited by nufcjb

Guest reefatoon

2-0 defeats against the better teams seem to be in fashion at the moment, so I’m going with that. The usual team sent out, some good huff and puff in the middle of the pitch, couple of shite misses from us and then a sucker punch soft set piece to gift them the game, followed by a second killer blow soon after. Our trusted and traditional Double sub on the 75th minute will have its usual impact, followed by Murphys predictable 5 minute running about a bit cameo.

Goals and wins will be back from next week. Ahh, remember goals? They were great. ;)

26 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

This fixture for our top 4 rivals ...

Man City 6 - Man Utd 3

Man City 4 - Spurs 2

Man City    - Liverpool (1st Apr)

Man City 3 - Brighton 1

Man City    - Chelsea (20th May)

This fixture for our top four rivals...

Man United 0-0 Newcastle

Spurs 1-2 Newcastle

Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle

Brighton 0-0 Newcastle

I'm not particularly confident about this one, but you can select data to talk yourself into a result or piss your pants as you see fit. 

I think we're more likely to score here than anywhere, City like to play open, it won't be 10 behind the ball like Manure and Liverpool played against us, they know they can outscore anyone so there will be space for players to run into, which is why Isak and ASM should start here.

Pope

Trippier Schär Botman Targett

Joelinton Guimarães Willock

Gordon Isak Saint-Maximin

If there's to be no change of shape, this is what I'd like to see at the weekend.

Karius, Manquillo, Lascelles, Burn, Longstaff, Anderson, Murphy, Almirón, and Wilson on the bench.

City haven't looked particularly convincing at the back. They've only kept 2 clean sheets in 11 since the restart, with the likes of Bournemouth, Everton, Leeds and Forest managing to notch against them. They'll give chances up, as usual it's whether we're ruthless enough to take them. 

Keeping them and their Norwegian goal machine out at the other end is a different matter entirely and they're in good goal scoring form at home notching 10 in the last 3. 

I do think the early kick off will play a part. They tend to be slow, tight affairs. Brentford managed to capitalise on this at the Etihad back in January. 

I have no idea if we're going to come out for this one fired up or with a bit of a cup hangover. I presume Bruno is fit, but that will obviously play a part too.

I don't think we'll get battered, but at the same time I'm not overly confident about our chances. My head is saying a 2-1 defeat, my heart a battling 1-1 draw. 

13 hours ago, Sky Blue said:

While there are teams and their supporters  that I dislike (rags, L'pool, Villa, dirty Leeds) I usually look forward to City v. Newcastle. Might be partly on account of City winning about 16 of the last 20 meetings, or Tueart's overhead kick in the LC Final in '76, or being at SJP to see City win the league on the last day of the season in 1968.  But there've been other memorable games besides. Remember Keegan's emotional reception at SJP with his City side around 2002 in an F.A. Cup tie? Newcastle won. Also a thrilling 3-3 draw at Maine Road sometime in the '90s.  And a long, long time ago there was a Cup tie at Maine Road in 1957 (I was eight) which Newcastle won 5-4. I'd been going - being taken - to see City for a couple of years already but this was my first experience of a match with many supporters of both teams all mixed together. Thousands & thousands of Geordies in every part of the ground, they got Blaydon Races going and it went on and on, I'd heard nothing like it before. None of them took their shirts off, mind.  My dad told me they were alright as they were mostly pitmen, as he was. Probably not many left from then who'll be at the Etihad this weekend.

Anyway here's some things expect on Saturday:

Pep will pick eleven players, no one can say in what combination. 

Trams from town to the Etihad will be infrequent and overcrowded. 

Trams from the Etihad back to town will be infrequent and overcrowded.

Lots of empty seats in the stadium after 80 minutes, people going for the trams.

Your fans will sing that tired old WWYWYWS song (ok, it's a bit of fun, so expect a reply about the 18,000 scattered around SJP in the 1980s.) 

Look out for young Alvarez, if he gets on the pitch. He's fast, a natural goalscorer, tireless. You should buy him if he leaves at the end of the season after ManU & L'pool (= the P.L) get City sent down to the Third Division or beyond. 

I'm back over from across the ocean for this, my first game of the season.

7-0? (not really.) 

Hope the draw doesn’t spoil your trip ? My kids are City fans (I’ve lived in Manchester for 17 years) preparing myself for the dog’s abuse they love dishing out! 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This fixture for our top four rivals...

Man United 0-0 Newcastle

Spurs 1-2 Newcastle

Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle

Brighton 0-0 Newcastle

I'm not particularly confident about this one, but you can select data to talk yourself into a result or piss your pants as you see fit. 

I'm talking like-for-like fixtures.

This fixture is MAN CITY v NUFC.

To get a better indication of where we are against our top 4 rivals, I like to take the current fixture NUFC are facing (Man City v NUFC) and see what our rivals did in the same fixture. 

To me, that's a much better indicator where we stand than anything else.

You can argue it’s not the game to do it. But I think we could look to make 2-3 changes. 

Might be being harsh to suggest it. As it isn’t like we have been spoilt for choice with options this season. But I get the feeling Howe has his preferred players and the ones he trusts. So he’ll just keep rolling with them from the start every week.

Burn, Wilson and Almiron could all be rotated, I reckon. None of them are in form and/or look a bit fucked. 

10 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Burn, Wilson and Almiron could all be rotated, I reckon. None of them are in form and/or look a bit fucked. 

Exactly what I'd like to see tbh, with the 3 obvious replacements. 

As you mention though, Howe seems very rigid in his starting line up unless forced, understandable when we've done as well as we have, but I think it's definitely time for a shake up for both rest and to avoid (dare I say it) complacency. 

Fully expect the normal line up if everyone's fit. 

Possibly.  I'm of the opinion that if he's fully fit it shouldn't be an issue for him. 

To me it sounds harsh on Burn if anything :lol: but I'm all for a bit of a change at the minute. 

Gillespie

Manquillo        Lascelles     Targett     Lewis

Murphy          Schar         Anderson

Isak       Gordon   Ritchie

14 minutes ago, TBG said:

Gillespie

Manquillo        Lascelles     Targett     Lewis

Murphy          Schar         Anderson

Isak       Gordon   Ritchie

Harsh on Karius