Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

20 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

The atmosphere had fuck all to do with the ticketing situation. It’s regularly like that and has been for years. For whatever reason the atmosphere one week is incredible (PSG) followed by shite. 

Ticketing is without a doubt affecting the atmosphere 

I want to stand and be vocal, win lose or draw I want to be there to support not spectate 

But I’m getting tickets where I can’t stand and be vocal because everyone around me is sat in silence  and that’s the way they like it 

So my voice is no longer contributing to the atmosphere, whereas last season it was, as I was able to buy tickets in a section where I knew I’d be with like minded folk 

Now multiply that by hundreds or thousands of people and you’re telling me it doesn’t affect the atmosphere ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Mehrdad out of order there. Atmosphere wasn’t there today tbh but he has contributed to it. It’s a joke at the turnstiles and I had offers of 2 last minute tickets today that I couldn’t pass on to “proper” supporters. Mate has to put his up for resale so his seat

wasn’t left empty and the lad who bought it spent half his time taking photos. Meanwhile, the lad on the other side of me was videoing Sterling’s goal.

I agree with @bobbydazzla in terms of there being too many areas of the ground where it’s almost impossible to sing consistently as no one around you joins in. The solution is to make more singing sections in each stand. That way, you reduce the risk of the ballot landing you in a dead zone 

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Mehrdad out of order there. Atmosphere wasn’t there today tbh but he has contributed to it. It’s a joke at the turnstiles and I had offers of 2 last minute tickets today that I couldn’t pass on to “proper” supporters. Mate has to put his up for resale so his seat

wasn’t left empty and the lad who bought it spent half his time taking photos. Meanwhile, the lad on the other side of me was videoing Sterling’s goal.

The only way I can describe the people in level 7 today is “weird”. They just looked like they didn’t belong there. 

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

The only way I can describe the people in level 7 today is “weird”. They just looked like they didn’t belong there. 

That was what it was like for Dortmund up there. Only home game I've been to this season and it was completely bizarre. Has put me off applying in subsequent ballots tbh.

23 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Ticketing is without a doubt affecting the atmosphere 

I want to stand and be vocal, win lose or draw I want to be there to support not spectate 

But I’m getting tickets where I can’t stand and be vocal because everyone around me is sat in silence  and that’s the way they like it 

So my voice is no longer contributing to the atmosphere, whereas last season it was, as I was able to buy tickets in a section where I knew I’d be with like minded folk 

Now multiply that by hundreds or thousands of people and you’re telling me it doesn’t affect the atmosphere ? 

You’re right to an extent, of course. But you can’t tell me that last season and many seasons before, we regularly had turgid atmospheres. A few more this season, sure.

I think the biggest obvious issue between this season and last is that Wor Flags haven’t seemed as present this season, because focus has been on CL games. Last season it felt like a lot of games were Wor Flag spectacles which helped massively in building atmosphere. They were there today obviously, but it was a rehash of earlier stuff, and there is perhaps a bit of desensitisation to it when people have seen it all before.

I’m not saying it should all be on Wor Flags of course… I’m just trying to find the obvious differences between this season and last.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

You’re right to an extent, of course. But you can’t tell me that last season and many seasons before, we regularly had turgid atmospheres. A few more this season, sure.

I think the biggest obvious issue between this season and last is that Wor Flags haven’t seemed as present this season, because focus has been on CL games. Last season it felt like a lot of games were Wor Flag spectacles which helped massively in building atmosphere. They were there today obviously, but it was a rehash of earlier stuff, and there is perhaps a bit of desensitisation to it when people have seen it all before.

I’m not saying it should all be on Wor Flags of course… I’m just trying to find the obvious differences between this season and last.

I think Wor Flags have masked the atmosphere issue for a long time, the truth is after the display ends the place falls flat anyway 90% of the time.

There’s a real lack of supporter culture at St James away from the strawberry corner, from lack of noise to non existent song book.

Whilst the current owners must accept some blame, I’m not against their criticism if it opens up some dialogue with fans on how to improve the atmosphere.

From the stream playing on my phone today it sounded loud?

Fair play to Mehrdad imo.. yes the random seat allocation doesn’t help create an atmosphere, but it’s still not the greatest excuse.

Mentioned it before, brought my Mrs up for the first time for the Villa game sat in the Leazes. Thought she was gonna fall in love with the place.. now not arsed about coming after claiming "You’ve only got one song". This is the first game of the season where we won 5-1?

Was stood in the standing section for the Liverpool game, first half absolutely fucking rocking but we went dead after about 50-60 mins.

Can’t put my finger on the root cause. Better seating and singing/standing sections on the other side will help, but it’s down to all of us to sing our fucking heart out. We’ve come so far from where we were a few years ago, baffles me why most can’t be arsed. 

Edited by ryanegg

12 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Comparing the atmosphere pre-Oct 2021 isn’t a fair comparison as for a decade before that the club had been dying a slow and painful death

How many games between Oct 21 & May 23 had a turgid atmosphere ? I don’t remember many, but then I was always in noisy areas. 

Not every game will be rocking, it’s just not possible as the opposition, game situation, kick off time all play a part, but it’s been consistently flat this season even though we’ve been winning most games 

And I think a major factor is the shite ticketing policy 

Edited by bobbydazzla

16 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Comparing the atmosphere pre-Oct 2021 isn’t a fair comparison as for a decade before that the club had been dying a slow and painful death

How many games between Oct 21 & May 23 had a turgid atmosphere ? I don’t remember many, but then I was always in noisy areas. 

Not every game will be rocking, it’s just not possible as the opposition, game situation, kick off time all play a part, but it’s been consistently flat this season even though we’ve been winning most games 

And I think a major factor is the shite ticketing policy 

I can easily name 11 home games from second half of 21-22 and 22-23 that were flat as fuck. It’s all dependent on where you are sat. 

- Chelsea home 21-22

- Man City home 21-22

- Cambridge home 21-22

- Watford home 21-22

- Liverpool home 21-22

- Palace home 22-23

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (after the Queen)

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (Carabao)

- Leeds home 22-23

- West Ham 22-23

- Liverpool home 22-23 (apart from the Bobby tribute, awful atmosphere)

I don’t think the atmosphere this year is all that different to last season really, apart from less Wor Flags displays.

27 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I can easily name 11 home games from second half of 21-22 and 22-23 that were flat as fuck. It’s all dependent on where you are sat. 

- Chelsea home 21-22

- Man City home 21-22

- Cambridge home 21-22

- Watford home 21-22

- Liverpool home 21-22

- Palace home 22-23

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (after the Queen)

- Bournemouth home 22-23 (Carabao)

- Leeds home 22-23

- West Ham 22-23

- Liverpool home 22-23 (apart from the Bobby tribute, awful atmosphere)

I don’t think the atmosphere this year is all that different to last season really, apart from less Wor Flags displays.

IMG-5897.jpg

Edited by bobbydazzla

I wasn’t there yesterday and didn’t follow the game at all but watched the highlights on MOTD this morning and it sounded pitiful. That fucking ee-I-o song is fucking cringeworthy and yet it’s the most sung in our already-limited songbook.

I’m glad that Mehrdad posted his tweet in a spur of the moment. It shows that lack of atmosphere is now being noticed by the owners.

I spoke to a lass I know yesterday who went to the game yesterday too. Before the takeover she had never been near SJP, yet she has won the ballot for five league games this season and has been successful for next week and also Fulham coming up. Yet there are people who have barely won a ballot all season.

She also said there were Chelsea fans in L7, where she was yesterday, and described how they were getting howked when they equalised.

Everything else about the club is so amazing so to see the state of the support and atmosphere is genuinely infuriating. I hope they know that they have got to get rid of the current ticketing situation entirely. It’s too easy for any random to get a ticket now.

But that’s not the only problem. As has already been pointed out, even our so-called “proper support” isn’t even that good. A shocking song book and lack of terrace culture now exists even within the hardcore of the fan base. It’s so fucking frustrating. 

Edited by Wandy

Probably only the 2nd seat out of the 5 ballots I've won where I've been happy with the seat, yesterday. Was in block F of the East Stand so near the Corner, canny view and great lads around me who all sang most of the game and I was able to have a bit craic with. Complete antithesis of where I got a seat for Palace (low down, shit view, was asked to sit down when I stood up when Murphy was played through on the break, no one singing). 

Got a bit annoyed at the owners having a pop when it's the changes they've implemented that have played a huge role in why the atmosphere is the way it has been. Randomly allocated seats, ballots and unlimited membership, corporate getting huge chunks of away tickets (40% of the Luton allocation ffs :lol: ) Sort it out or get tae fuck.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Probably only the 2nd seat out of the 5 ballots I've won where I've been happy with the seat, yesterday. Was in block F of the East Stand so near the Corner, canny view and great lads around me who all sang most of the game and I was able to have a bit craic with. Complete antithesis of where I got a seat for Palace (low down, shit view, was asked to sit down when I stood up when Murphy was played through on the break, no one singing). 

Got a bit annoyed at the owners having a pop when it's the changes they've implemented that have played a huge role in why the atmosphere is the way it has been. Randomly allocated seats, ballots and unlimited membership, corporate getting huge chunks of away tickets (40% of the Luton allocation ffs :lol: ) Sort it out or get tae fuck.

Fucking hell. I would hang upside down naked dangling from barbed wire to be in the ground at the minute.

Get tae fuck cos Hayden doesn't get everything he wants FFS.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Fucking hell. I would hang upside down naked dangling from barbed wire to be in the ground at the minute.

Get tae fuck cos Hayden doesn't get everything he wants FFS.

And you'd likely be able to get in if not for a ballot system which is decreasing your chances as the season goes on due to unlimited membership. Or you can spend time refreshing the stadium map for hours on end the couple days before the game itself.

And eh? :lol: I meant they can get tae fuck criticising the atmosphere when the changes they/their employees have implemented for this season have impacted it for the worse. 

I don’t think the atmosphere has got any worse like, it’s been up and down for decades.

I think at the start of the game people were just a bit nervous because we thought we might lose. 

We’ve talked about whether we want orchestrated singing like European and MLS ultras. If we don’t want that, then the people will respond to the situation. Sometimes that is loud and sometimes it’s nervous. 

Of course it can be improved by creating an ‘ultras’ section and/or creating more safe standing and allowing people to choose their seats. 

Either way silly post from Mehdrad. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo