Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Atmosphere sounded decent on the TV, I thought. 

Trolling us at this point with DJ Otzi. Hope someone else other than Wilson scores the winner/last goal next week. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

6 hours ago, Holloway said:

Noise came through well on tv in the second half, and lasted the duration. There is a notable lack of animation in certain sections of the stands when we score and the camera pans round though, lots of smiley faces and polite applause. A bit of arm waving/ air punching/jumping about wouldn't go amiss

We’re not exactly that Leeds stand behind the goal for limbs. But I think our crowd get just as excitable as any when we score.

Maybe the day trippers and happy clappers have filtered back in a bit more. But have I always maintained and said to mates over the years. Compare the way our fans celebrate over a lot of clubs. It always seems a bit more passionate and not just standing and politely clapping like loads of London teams or clubs used to winning all the while. 

Maybe we’re getting too used to being good and got more into it when we were shit and it was unexpected?

Aye fair enough the comparison to other crowds, I do enjoy Leeds going ballistic when they score I must say. Only get to a handful of home games but always have a good look around at the crowd when I do, and there are way too  many statues for my liking, and that includes young lads who just sit there in silence. If it's the Ashley effect that's numbed the fuck out of people then surely that's more reason to get excited/emotional at what we're witnessing now. I'll definitely be up for a standing ticket next season, even though the knees are creaking a bit

8 hours ago, Holloway said:

Aye fair enough the comparison to other crowds, I do enjoy Leeds going ballistic when they score I must say. Only get to a handful of home games but always have a good look around at the crowd when I do, and there are way too  many statues for my liking, and that includes young lads who just sit there in silence. If it's the Ashley effect that's numbed the fuck out of people then surely that's more reason to get excited/emotional at what we're witnessing now. I'll definitely be up for a standing ticket next season, even though the knees are creaking a bit

Leeds don't go ballistic. THIS is going ballistic. Watch until the end... 

13 hours ago, Big River said:

the abba one but nobody seems to know the words so doubt it’ll ever catch on properly!

Actually was sang yesterday for the first time in any great numbers. 

There’s also the Dan Ashworth went to Spain song also but that’s only been sang at the away games so far.

As usual was sang far too fast, but then small pockets re-sang slower. Its catching on, just needs to be sung slower when it's quieter and it'll catch properly, except there's very little opportunity for that in the Strawberry Corner at present. Atmosphere may have been flat around the ground but the Strawberry Corner was fairly non stop or at least pockets of it.

16 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Thought the atmosphere was shit first half and excellent second half.

Agreed. Was class second half when every corner of the ground seemed to be bouncing off each other with "Eddie Howes black and white army".

Shout out to the lads at the back of the north east corner 👍

Whats the Jacob Murphy song to that celtic tune?

Only bit I could catch was his mother comes from Birtley

Sounded like 2 people singing it in the corner, one nearer the gallowgate and one nearer the east stand

I only go sporadically now but someone mentioned young lads not singing. There were two next to me yesterday about 17/18. They had old school shirts on so they must be fairly clued up but there was not a peep out of either. It's mad because when I was that age and younger I was gan radge.

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

Whats the Jacob Murphy song to that celtic tune?

Only bit I could catch was his mother comes from Birtley

Sounded like 2 people singing it in the corner, one nearer the gallowgate and one nearer the east stand

Jacob Murphy

His mother comes from Birtley

They say he is a Geordie

And he is gonna score for Eddie's Magpies

[Repeat]

Was me singing nearer the East Stand, more than likely and probably Simon Fettes in the corner.

Edited by Heron

Just now, Heron said:

Jacob Murphy

His mother comes from Birtley

They say he is a Geordie

And he is gonna score for Eddie's Magpies

[Repeat]

Fuck me I thought there was more to it than that

Need me lugs cleaned out

Actually heard some chants that I’ve not heard outside of away ends. I’m up in level 7 so couldn’t tell but it sounded like Strawberry corner.

“This club is my club” was particularly audible. Would be great for the home fans to expand their songbook a little.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Actually heard some chants that I’ve not heard outside of away ends. I’m up in level 7 so couldn’t tell but it sounded like Strawberry corner.

“This club is my club” was particularly audible. Would be great for the home fans to expand their songbook a little.

Do you think the fact that away games are almost a closed shop is affecting it?

Obviously I don't want to go over old ground with the loyalty points debate but if you've got the same 3k or so doing all the aways expanding the songbook, then they get scattered all over SJP for the home games they aren't going to catch on as easily. 

A lot of the chants I know are from my Uni days when I used to do a decent number of aways.

I’ve been as critical as anyone of atmosphere but was v good yesterday. 

Still need a singing enclosure to create a constant base level atmosphere for every game, but when St James gets going like yesterday it’s hard to beat and becomes the bear pit it should be.

1 hour ago, magorific said:

Christ alive, the state of that goalmouth scramble. Proper football, the way proper football men like it.

its so tense at times in these final few games. so much to play for, seems some people are understandibly unable to relax enough to sing unless we're winning.

3 hours ago, magorific said:

Still think Keegans debut goal v QPR for us is still the most mental goal celebration I've seen anywhere like.