Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Sat in the Milburn tonight, absolutely no one singing. Just me looking like a daftie singing on my own trying to join in with the chants from the Gallowgate. Meanwhile in my old ST seat which I was buying for all of the last 2 and a half years in between family and mates of mine was some young lass who buggered off at half time. And against Palace on Saturday there was a student there who spent the overwhelming majority of the match on his phone. Whilst I'm scrambling about desperate for anywhere in the ground, even when at graft.

Fantastic stuff from the club. :thup:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

It was embarrassing tonight

Glad the flag lads are publicly criticising it as well

As for those blaming ballots etc. There's probably 30k season ticket holders in there tonight so they're the main problem

It wasn’t to bad in the Gallowgate, it’s been better though. 

The lad beside me (in my daughters ST seat) is a perfect example of what goes wrong with the atmosphere, came in, loadsa selfies and videos of himself singing, chose to video the display instead of taking part, lasted to about 20 mins then didn’t here a peep out of him. 

Im of the opinion that everyone had the right to watch Newcastle, regardless of whether or not they want to sing, shout or sit in silence but I do think now is the time to expand the corner and create a larger section of people who want to sing. 
Maybe if the Gallowgates extended they can use it as a reason for change because for all I’ve just said that, there’s people that have sat there for years, have emotional attachments that just want to watch the game. 

It’s a hard one. 

Sounded absolutely shite on TV. Even the commentators were saying they were surprised at how quiet it was. Could only really here the Dortmund fans, except for in odd spells. Moans and groans seemed louder than any actual positive support inside the ground.

Think it's too easy to say 'ballot'. PSG was the best atmosphere I've experienced at SJP ever and it used the same system.

Naturally, the occasion and gamestate will always play a big role in how the atmosphere goes. I thought tonight started well but then dropped off as the game unfolded but not really in our favour.

We do need more dedicated sections though.

The atmosphere was (Barcelona the first aside) never good in the CL before either, often well below average for even a humdrum PL game. Its not a new thing.

That was leagues above any other English clubs 2nd home game and all of our 2nd games previously.

PSG is an unrealistic ideal the circumstances behind which cannot be replicated.

Milburn next to the Leazes corner was weird as fuck tonight.

About half an hour before kick off some rough bloke asked if I'd been before and knew what I was in for - then proceeded to sit in silence for more or less the whole game.

Lad giving it the biggun in the bar about supporting the lads before the game then sitting recording it on his phone.

Others more pre-occupied with giving it back to the "sit down" moaners than just getting on with it and enjoying themselves. 

Couple next to me had blatantly never been to a game in their lives.

Some lively moments but that might have just been me losing myself and getting into it as normal. 

4 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Think it's too easy to say 'ballot'. PSG was the best atmosphere I've experienced at SJP ever and it used the same system.

Naturally, the occasion and gamestate will always play a big role in how the atmosphere goes. I thought tonight started well but then dropped off as the game unfolded but not really in our favour.

We do need more dedicated sections though.

Bingo.

English crowds are reactive. Europeans, specifcally Germany and PSG bang drums and wave flags and shout on the megaphone removed from the actual match itself. See c*nts in Germany waving flags around and facing the other way as goals go in.

Edited by Jonas

2 minutes ago, Jonas said:

The atmosphere was (Barcelona the first aside) never good in the CL before either, often well below average for even a humdrum PL game. Its not a new thing.

That was leagues above any other English clubs 2nd home game and all of our 2nd games previously.

PSG is an unrealistic ideal the circumstances behind which cannot be replicated.

Yep.  The PSV, Dynamo Kiev and Feyenoord home games in particular stand out as being as flat as a witch’s tit.  Feyenoord was the nadir for me - 10k empty seats and you could hear a pin drop.  

I was beneath the away fans in the Leazes and tbh where I was sat it felt impossible to compete with that relentless fucking drum :lol:

That seemed to kill the atmosphere as well as Dortmund being the better side first half. There was no music on at HT and it was eerily silent, just no energy in the ground at all. 

Our fans seemed like they waiting for the team to lift them rather than the other way around, which isn't really good enough when our home atmosphere is our best chance of progressing in the competition. 

Edited by Interpolic

1 minute ago, Bada Bing said:

The drum was a relentless drone and quite exhausting to listen to after a while. And that’s on the box.  Seemed to kill the home atmosphere completely. 

I was in the Leazes End under the cunts and a drone is the right fucking word, they make a canny racket but it does nowt for me in terms of atmosphere.

I went into it thinking it was going to be an amazing atmosphere, the first ten mins were good and the last twenty too. In between that was really poor. Standing section is a bit odd, there are definitely a significant number in there who really go for it but it should really be everyone in there up for it relentlessly 

9 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Sounded absolutely shite on TV. Even the commentators were saying they were surprised at how quiet it was. Could only really here the Dortmund fans, except for in odd spells. Moans and groans seemed louder than any actual positive support inside the ground.

One of the most annoying things for me where I was. If something didn't come off my claps and attempts to gee things up a bit were completely drowned out by moans, groans, 'fuckin hell man's etc.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I went into it thinking it was going to be an amazing atmosphere, the first ten mins were good and the last twenty too. In between that was really poor. Standing section is a bit odd, there are definitely a significant number in there who really go for it but it should really be everyone in there up for it relentlessly 

That's the problem with randomly allocated seating. A friend of ours was put in the Strawberry Corner for tonight with her 10 year old son and 6 year old daughter. It was literally the last place she wanted to be!