Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 02/04/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

21 minutes ago, Froggy said:

If you have used it you are likely unaware, but it originated from a chant about the Busby Babes.

"Man U Man U went on a plane. Man U Man U never came back again."

"Man U Never Intended Coming Home." 

And yet practically ever Man Utd fan I've ever met has refererred to "their" team as "Man U".

The "United" bit came much later to wind others up. 

Here lads, I've worked out that Eddie Howe is either telling a lie or isn't been entirely truthful about his answers when he rubs his eye brows with his finger.

Watch when he's asked about Pope's "injury" after the wolves game. It's a proper tell.[emoji38]

Just now, STM said:

Here lads, I've worked out that Eddie Howe is either telling a lie or isn't been entirely truthful about his answers when he rubs his eye brows with his finger.

Watch when he's asked about Pope's "injury" after the wolves game. It's a proper tell.[emoji38]

Shush man. Now everyone'll know.

41 minutes ago, Froggy said:

If you have used it you are likely unaware, but it originated from a chant about the Busby Babes.

"Man U Man U went on a plane. Man U Man U never came back again."

"Man U Never Intended Coming Home." 

Wtf

Surely its the same if it was man united never intended coming home

What a load of bollocks

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

It's nothing to do with Ireland. I've lived in many different places including the UK and different continents and it's largely the same. The further away from the UK you get it more blatant it becomes. I agree with you that in Newcastle, if you say United then fans may associate that with Newcastle United and the same goes for other cities who have clubs with United in their name.

However if you are in Liverpool or London for example, if you say United, the vast majority will assume you mean Manchester United. I watch other clubs fan TV sometimes and we're always referred to as United. It's actually rare for me to hear us referred to as Manchester United. I would also agree that media is largely to blame for this, but that doesn't retract from it being true.

I just don't think it's something to be annoyed about. We're referred to as Man U and Manure all the time which are derogatory terms but there's not much uproar caused by that. :lol: 

Again transient living just encourages it rather than it being a good example it’s actually a bad one. I’ve no doubt for example students living in Newcastle refer to United and knowingly mean Manchester.

If you actually lived somewhere for 40 years or more in the same place their conversations would be different. That however is never projected into the media and broader conscience as they are lazy. Only time you get any idea of how different it is is in the early rounds of the FA Cup.

I don’t get annoyed by it but teams should be referred to by their correct names.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

It's nothing to do with Ireland. I've lived in many different places including the UK and different continents and it's largely the same. The further away from the UK you get it more blatant it becomes. I agree with you that in Newcastle, if you say United then fans may associate that with Newcastle United and the same goes for other cities who have clubs with United in their name.

However if you are in Liverpool or London for example, if you say United, the vast majority will assume you mean Manchester United. I watch other clubs fan TV sometimes and we're always referred to as United. It's actually rare for me to hear us referred to as Manchester United. I would also agree that media is largely to blame for this, but that doesn't retract from it being true.

I just don't think it's something to be annoyed about. We're referred to as Man U and Manure all the time which are derogatory terms but there's not much uproar caused by that. :lol: 

So if the media stop doing it it'll stop happening and you agree its a media hyped thing. See we sort of agree.

United. To me its just to differentiate themselves from someone with the same forename (so to speak) in City that came out of local useage.

Only other place I can think of is Sheffield where United more so go by "Blades".

I've rarely thought of us as 'United' and we haven't gone by it much especially since 'Toon' coming to prominence displaced it.

Anyway, do I not like these.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Jinky said:

Manure shirley?

Aware of how this started? It's the worst one. 

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

The B-movie villain is almost as rattled as Froggy by Eddie's mighty Mags.

Terrified after what happened in the cup final. :ninja: