Scott McTominay

Jack27

From a purely psychological perspective, it's fascinating:

One "bright spark" Manchester United fan says that "Scott McTominay hides from the ball", next thing we know, a few other people say it, then a few more people, until it becomes the popular thing to say.

Then it grows on social media. Before you know, even fans of other clubs are saying it.

It's like people have no will or no mind of their own. lol.

All it is is lazy analysis and parroting pop-references with the hope that you come off as being smart and knowledgeable.

No professional footballer actively "hides" from the ball. It's an absurd thing to suggest. Especially one who plays in the best league in the world.

A thinking fan would analyse Scott McTominay and make assertions that his spacial awareness isn't the best. That's not the same as "hiding".

If he truly did hide from the ball EtH would've cast him into the reserves from the first moment that he walked into the club, as before EtH even coached his first competitive match, he sat down with the entire previous season's worth of matches and watched every minute of every match. He's that meticulous.

McTominay has played 30 matches In all competitions this season.

So yeah, social media is the new home of mass hysteria.

It's clear that EtH doesn't want to sell him. If he did, McTominay would've left by now. So referring to him as a "cast off" isn't accurate, either.

Also, I did say on my first post that he's a good finisher. He is. He's just playing too deep at Manchester United and in a role that put the shackles on him.

Edited by TheDarkKnight

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

From a purely psychological perspective, it's fascinating:

One "bright spark" Manchester United fan says that "Scott McTominay hides from the ball", next thing we know, a few other people say it, then a few more people, until it becomes the popular thing to say.

Then it grown on social media.

It's like people have no will or no mind of their own. lol.

All it is is lazy analysis and parroting pop-references with the hope that you come off as being smart and knowledgeable.

No professional footballer actively "hides" from the ball. It's an absurd thing to suggest. Especially one who plays in the best league in the world.

A thinking fan would analyse Scott McTominay and make assertions that his spacial awareness isn't the best. That's not the same as "hiding".

If he truly did hide from the ball EtH would've cast him into the reserves from the first moment that he walked into the club, as before EtH even coached his first competitive match, he sat down with the entire previous season's worth of matches and watched every minute of every match. He's that meticulous.

McTominay has played 30 matches In all competitions this season.

So yeah, social media is the new home of mass hysteria.

It's clear that EtH doesn't want to sell him. If he did, McTominay would've left by now. So referring to him as a "cast off" isn't accurate, either.

Also, I did say on my first post that he's a good finisher. He is. He's just playing too deep at Manchester United and in a role that put the shackles on him.

Jack colback does 

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Jack colback does 

Well, you've seen him more than I have, so I can't claim to be an expert. But I would say that he isn’t hiding, either.

Some players have different abilities. Spacial awareness is an ability that you can't teach. Yes, you can study videos, etc, but it's akin to a person playing Medal of Honour, etc. Put them put on the front-line, they'll crumble.

Look at Haaland. People might think he scores so many because of his finishing or his physique or his pace. It isn't. His movement is incredible. Watch him, he's always 5 seconds ahead of the defenders.

Look at Oliver Burke. He has the same physique as Haaland. He's just as fast. But when Burke steps out on a pitch his brain goes out to lunch.

Spacial awareness is the same as movement. Midfielders like Pirlo, Scholes and Busquets, etc, have/had so much time on the ball because their innate movement is incredible.

McTominay's spacial awarenes has improved under EtH, but it's never going to be amazing.

I think we can all agree that Erik ten Hag is a good manager. He doesn't want to sell McTominay. There's reasons for that. The main one is that McTominay can be trusted.

Edited by TheDarkKnight

Would Man Utd even sell him to us? And if they did it would be an enormous mark up surely. That alone would be reason enough to steer clear. 

He'd be a decent squad player who could fill in now and then as cover for injuries and in early round cup games but as far as I'm concerned we already have 2 of those in his positon, so I'm not onboard with this.

As a squad/rotation player for a cheap fee and reasonable wages, it makes sense. That is his role at Man U. He has started 7 out of 26 league games this season and if we want to be competing around top 4 positions, someone like McTominay is not a first XI signing. Man U will see us as potentially direct rivals and therefore would not give us a good deal. I reckon this is all paper talk.