Scott McTominay

Jack27

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Hard pressing wise, I get the attraction. But can he actually retain the ball once he's got it? There is a reason Man U were doing terribly before Casimero. McTominay was probably one of them.

You guys are funny man. I really can't be bothered arguing about this.

If it happens we'll see how it plays out, and then we can refer back to what was being said on here then. Will be much more fun that way.

15 minutes ago, TRon said:

Hard pressing wise, I get the attraction. But can he actually retain the ball once he's got it? There is a reason Man U were doing terribly before Casimero. McTominay was probably one of them.

“Mctominay is hiding He's in the bottom 15% for passes played under pressure per game. If you can't rely on your pivot midfielders to recieve under pressure and split lines, you get matches where you're stuck in your own half all game...”

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1364236734704279553

“And while a desire to win and play for United is necessary, the real gap between United and their rivals is the quality of players in key positions. The very fact McTominay is a regular starter is a key example of this. In the first half against Arsenal, the midfielder only completed seven passes (24 by the end of the game at a completion rate of 71 per cent); that doesn't really look like understanding the fundamentals.

In comparison, Juan Mata played for 11 minutes and completed 10 passes. This would be understandable if McTominay's defensive work was exemplary but he gave the ball away on multiple occasions outside the box and invited pressure upon the United defence.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mctominay-united-solskjaer-rangnick-midfield-23770000?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I really can't be bothered arguing about this.

I think we all know you can. :lol: Anyone criticising what is quite clearly a potential transfer that's open to scrutiny and there you are. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think we all know you can. :lol: Anyone criticising what is quite clearly a potential transfer that's open to scrutiny and there you are. 

I mean I've said all I have to really. Further nit-picking about how he hides from the ball 'all the time' and so signing him means we suddenly won't be able to keep possession is just silly.

We'll see what happens man. I'll be looking forward to it.

If he does hide from the ball - something that seems to be a popular opinion on the Man United reddit - then it's hardly silly to draw from that that we wouldn't keep possession as well as we could like. 

I don't rate McTominay whatsoever, I think he's a poor footballer for the level that we're aspiring to, so hopefully we can all look forward to a better signing than him. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I mean I've said all I have to really. Further nit-picking about how he hides from the ball 'all the time' and so signing him means we suddenly won't be able to keep possession is just silly.

We'll see what happens man. I'll be looking forward to it.

It’s hardly ‘nit picking’- that’s literally what fans of his own team say, as well as national media. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

If he does hide from the ball - something that seems to be a popular opinion on the Man United reddit - then it's hardly silly to draw from that that we wouldn't keep possession as well as we could like

I don't rate McTominay whatsoever, I think he's a poor footballer for the level that we're aspiring to, so hopefully we can all look forward to a better signing than him. 

It's never that straightforward though, which is why I think it's a bit silly.

He mostly played in a double pivot alongside Fred, with Bruno higher up the pitch in the number 10. We can all agree he is not an elite CM in terms of build up play and so he probably shouldn't have been put in that position. In a midfield three flanked by Joelinton and Bruno I'd expect his job to be a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

It’s hardly ‘nit picking’- that’s literally what fans of his own team say, as well as national media. 

Well sometimes it's worth looking a bit deeper than that.

Like what their setup/formation was like, and who he was playing alongside. 

What is our setup then in comparison? And who would he be playing alongside for us?

Just now, KaKa said:

It's never that straightforward though, which is why I think it's a bit silly.

He mostly played in a double pivot alongside Fred, with Bruno higher up the pitch in the number 10. We can all agree he is not an elite CM in terms of build up play and so he probably shouldn't have been put in that position. In a midfield three flanked by Joelinton and Bruno I'd expect his job to be a lot easier.

If he's hiding from the ball, it negates everything. I'm not saying he does, but it's undeniable that it doesn't look good if lots of supporters of a club are saying the same thing. 

31 minutes ago, Manxst said:

“Mctominay is hiding He's in the bottom 15% for passes played under pressure per game. If you can't rely on your pivot midfielders to recieve under pressure and split lines, you get matches where you're stuck in your own half all game...”

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1364236734704279553

“And while a desire to win and play for United is necessary, the real gap between United and their rivals is the quality of players in key positions. The very fact McTominay is a regular starter is a key example of this. In the first half against Arsenal, the midfielder only completed seven passes (24 by the end of the game at a completion rate of 71 per cent); that doesn't really look like understanding the fundamentals.

In comparison, Juan Mata played for 11 minutes and completed 10 passes. This would be understandable if McTominay's defensive work was exemplary but he gave the ball away on multiple occasions outside the box and invited pressure upon the United defence.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mctominay-united-solskjaer-rangnick-midfield-23770000?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Can only hope Eddie's seen something that these people are missing. Or that the rumour is just a Baldwards prank.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

If he's hiding from the ball, it negates everything. I'm not saying he does, but it's undeniable that it doesn't look good if lots of supporters of a club are saying the same thing. 

My point is, in a midfield three the onus wouldn't be on him as much, and so it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Especially with the likes of Bruno and Joelinton who show for the ball a lot and progress it well, Bruno primarily through his passing and Joelinton primarily through his ball carrying.

And aside form that, if you actually look at the numbers they will show that according to the number of passes he plays per game, his pass completion and his progressive passing, he doesn't appear to be someone that hides from the ball all the time, but hey ho.

Having said all that I'm not trying to convince any of you to change your minds. I'm just backing up my stance on things. Ultimately if he then signs we'll see whose stance was more accurate.

Eddie is an amazing manager but don't let him be in charge of signings if this is true.

Take full responsibility away.

But it's Luke Edwards so could easily be a lie.

We want to be challenging, not paying our rivals money for their cast offs so they can invest it in better players.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Well sometimes it's worth looking a bit deeper than that.

Like what their setup/formation was like, and who he was playing alongside. 

What is our setup then in comparison? And who would he be playing alongside for us?

I think fans of his own team look deeply into their teams performances, like ours do. And it’s the media’s job to do that also, and to compare and contrast performances to those he’s playing alongside. The consequence of which is why the Manchester media has said McTominay needs to be replaced and isn’t worth a starting place. Not sure why you think you know better than both in this instance? 

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

Eddie is an amazing manager but don't let him be in charge of signings if this is true.

Take full responsibility away.

But it's Luke Edwards so could easily be a lie.

We want to be challenging, not paying our rivals money for their cast offs so they can invest it in better players.

We already know Eddie doesn’t have sole responsibility. It’s him, Ashworth and Nixon. And even then it has to be signed off by PIF. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I think fans of his own team look deeply into their teams performances, like ours do. And it’s the media’s job to do that also, and to compare and contrast performances to those he’s playing alongside. The consequence of which is why the Manchester media has said McTominay needs to be replaced and isn’t worth a starting place. Not sure why you think you know better than both in this instance? 

I can't explain it any better than I have so we'll see how it plays out.

Ultimately if we do sign him then apparently everyone at the club also doesn't agree with the Man United fans and the media either. So much for all of that.

Basically just Longstaff with a better jawline isn't he? I'm sure Howe could improve him to some extent but don't think he's ever going to be a player that has the quality and creativity on the ball we lack in midfield. 

Can't see how he'd be any more than playing the same backup role here than he does at Man U. 

Nickson scouts and selects our targets, but Howe does have an input into the recruitment process. That's from Ashworth.

"Howe is a big fan of player X" is tabloid garbage.  Howe isn't identifying targets, but even if he was he certainly wouldn't be disclosing to journalists who he is a "big fan" of. 

As for McTominay, he's a big physical presence, but he doesn't offer much quality on the ball. Given the amount of scouting, data analysis and thought that goes into of our signing I'm sure the club will be aware of that. It's another link to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. 

3 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Basically just Longstaff with a better jawline isn't he? I'm sure Howe could improve him to some extent but don't think he's ever going to be a player that has the quality and creativity on the ball we lack in midfield. 

Can't see how he'd be any more than playing the same backup role here than he does at Man U. 

Longstaff has much better positioning.

On the surface it makes little sense like but if we are interested I can only assume there's some tactical reason we've sussed he'd be great for us [emoji38]