Scott McTominay

Jack27

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Hi all. Manchester United and Scotland fan here. Just signed up to give my honest assessment.

I'm not entirely sure of your policy on members from rivals, so this might be my first and final post.

McTominay isn't an anchorman (no 6). He is more like a box-to-box midfielder. These days midfielders are boxed in and told to do one specific job, so box-to-box midfielders are obsolete, which is one of the reasons why McTominay is so polarized.

As for this "he hides from the ball" thing. It's been said for about 3 years and I'm still not clear what it means. How can a player hide from the ball? Sneak off and sit on the bench, without anyone noticing? Hide behind the goals?

One Manchester United fan came out with that line and it just snowballed into a ball the size of a glacier.

Just yesterday, he made himself available dozens of times, and he wasn't picked out. It's hardly his fault if his team-mates don't pass to him.

Besides, let me give you an example of the general online Manchester United fan. On RedCafe (their no 1 site) they have a thread dedicated to Frenkie De Jong. It has close to 2k posts of United fans salivating over him and fawning over him.

Even though he is a Barcelona player and will probably never join Manchester United.

On RedCafe there's also individual threads dedicated to every squad member. Each thread is full of Manchester United fans criticising and tearing apart their own players. They are the most toxic group of fans.

They usually have a couple of scapegoats at a time. Back in the day it was Fletcher and O'Shea. The previous ones were Lingard and Pogba. The recent scapegoats are McTominay and Maguire. When those two leave, the scapegoats will probably be Fred and Antony.

Every player gets it in the neck, though, even Bruno and Rashford. So I wouldn't give any credence to the general opinion of United fans. They treat players of other clubs with more respect than their own.

McTominay's attributes: opening his legs and running with the ball. Shooting. Keeping it simple and recycling the ball. Tackling and his physicality. Plus he's played at the back from Scotland, so he's versatile.

In 2019 in the Quarter finals against Barcelona he won motm. Not bad for someone who apparently hides from the ball

As far as "Scott McTominay hides from the ball". It reminds me of what Joseph Goebbels said that if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/scott-mctominay-wins-man-of-the-match-award-after-champions-league-display-against-barcelona

Rival fans are always welcome but you'll always get some precious Peters lashing out 

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Hi all. Manchester United and Scotland fan here. Just signed up to give my honest assessment.

I'm not entirely sure of your policy on members from rivals, so this might be my first and final post.

McTominay isn't an anchorman (no 6). He is more like a box-to-box midfielder. These days midfielders are boxed in and told to do one specific job, so box-to-box midfielders are obsolete, which is one of the reasons why McTominay is so polarized.

As for this "he hides from the ball" thing. It's been said for about 3 years and I'm still not clear what it means. How can a player hide from the ball? Sneak off and sit on the bench, without anyone noticing? Hide behind the goals?

One Manchester United fan came out with that line and it just snowballed into a ball the size of a glacier.

Just yesterday, he made himself available dozens of times, and he wasn't picked out. It's hardly his fault if his team-mates don't pass to him.

Besides, let me give you an example of the general online Manchester United fan. On RedCafe (their no 1 site) they have a thread dedicated to Frenkie De Jong. It has close to 2k posts of United fans salivating over him and fawning over him.

Even though he is a Barcelona player and will probably never join Manchester United.

On RedCafe there's also individual threads dedicated to every squad member. Each thread is full of Manchester United fans criticising and tearing apart their own players. They are the most toxic group of fans.

They usually have a couple of scapegoats at a time. Back in the day it was Fletcher and O'Shea. The previous ones were Lingard and Pogba. The recent scapegoats are McTominay and Maguire. When those two leave, the scapegoats will probably be Fred and Antony.

Every player gets it in the neck, though, even Bruno and Rashford. So I wouldn't give any credence to the general opinion of United fans. They treat players of other clubs with more respect than their own.

McTominay's attributes: opening his legs and running with the ball. Shooting. Keeping it simple and recycling the ball. Tackling and his physicality. Plus he's played at the back from Scotland, so he's versatile.

In 2019 in the Quarter finals against Barcelona he won motm. Not bad for someone who apparently hides from the ball

As far as "Scott McTominay hides from the ball". It reminds me of what Joseph Goebbels said that if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/scott-mctominay-wins-man-of-the-match-award-after-champions-league-display-against-barcelona

He's fucking shite man.

It’s a rumour that makes absolutely no sense.

My shit take on this is that it’s pure payback for the Lingard nonsense.

We’ll string them along letting them think they’ll have 40 million at some point over the summer, in a deal that never materialises. Then we go out and get someone decent.

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Does it mean we can get rid of @Froggy if we keep this guy?

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Interesting post. Nice one :thup:

Huge cross road in his career. Could easily see him looking a much better player under someone like Eddie Howe in a team that is going to be playing some decent football, or perhaps ending up replacing Declan Rice at West Ham under Moyes, in a side that is just your bog standard structured setup without any real football cohesiveness, and so not improving any further but instead looking worse.

Edited by KaKa

8 hours ago, Pixelphish said:

Rival fans are always welcome but you'll always get some precious Peters lashing out 

Cool. Thanks. :)

Newcastle are a top club, so I didn't think there would be an issue, but it never hurts to ask.

In fairness, most teams' forums are cool with rival fans chiming in. The only real trouble that I had was in the Brentford forum.

I think it's fair to say they don't like outsiders. I even got into a debate with the admin, I asked him why there's a choice to choose with team you support when you register. His reply was "So we can separate the idiots from the Brentford fans".

Small club mentality. A bit of a "Deliverance" feel.

7 hours ago, Kimbo said:

If shooting is one of his strengths then why has he scored 1 league goal in the last 2 years?

Because he's playing In a double-pivot.

In 5 years he's scored 16 goals. In comparison, Fred, who has usually played alongside McTominay in the pivot, has 9.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Interesting post. Nice one :thup:

Huge cross road in his career. Could easily see him looking a much better player under someone like Eddie Howe in a team that is going to be playing some decent football, or perhaps ending up replacing Declan Rice at West Ham under Moyes, in a side that is just your bog standard structured setup without any real football cohesiveness, and so not developing any further but instead looking worse.

Thank you. :)

Agreed. Massive crossroads. 

And who knows, he might improve with more responsibility on his shoulders.

The main thing is that McTominay is not an anchorman. He doesn't have the defensive instincts. And yet he's played in that position since he broke through.

Yeah. Funny that you mention Rice. There passing numbers aren't all that different (Rice does have a slight better success rate).

As I said, I wouldn't really put any stock in the opinion of online Manchester United fans. They just like to moan, especially about their own players.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Thank you. :)

Agreed. Massive crossroads. 

And who knows, he might improve with more responsibility on his shoulders.

The main thing is that McTominay is not an anchorman. He doesn't have the defensive instincts. And yet he's played in that position since he broke through.

Yeah. Funny that you mention Rice. There passing numbers aren't all that different (Rice does have a slight better success rate).

As I said, I wouldn't really put any stock in the opinion of online Manchester United fans. They just like to moan, especially about their own players.

To be honest, if we do sign him, I think he will play in that number 6 position for us, because we will be looking to push Bruno further forward to greater influence things in the final third, as that is his preferred position. And his ability to open up defences will be a huge plus for our attacking play, not to mention the knack for scoring goals that he showed when he first joined, and when he was further forward when Shelvey played deeper.

Howe's preference seems to be for an aggressive ball winner in that number 6 spot that will add to the press from that position, rather than be a screener that sits with more positional defensive instincts like you said. Howe's setup is going to more resemble a gegenpressing style closing down higher up the pitch to try and win the ball in those areas.

We've also been linked with the likes of Ugarte and Alvarez who are also aggressive ball winners from that  6 position. Howe also had Jefferson Lerma playing in that position for him at Bournemouth who also played the same way.

Edited by KaKa

7 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Newcastle are a top club, so I didn't think there would be an issue, but it never hurts to ask.

In fairness, most teams' forums are cool with rival fans chiming in. The only real trouble that I had was in the Brentford forum.

I think it's fair to say they don't like outsiders. I even got into a debate with the admin, I asked him why there's a choice to choose with team you support when you register. His reply was "So we can separate the idiots from the Brentford fans".

You obviously haven't been on https://www.readytogo.net/smb/forums/pure-football.86/ have you?

Hint : It's like the Brentford forum on steroids.

15 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Welcome to the board. Some of our best contributors are fans of other teams. It's nice to finally have a Manchester United fan as well. :thup:

7 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I lived in Brentford for a short while, this view isn't limited to the football team!