Scott McTominay

Jack27

23 minutes ago, Alan Pardew said:

Championship player who goes into hiding during matches. Awful. 

Fred (who cost £50m) had on average of 61 touches/84% pass success rate per match last season. McTominay had 56 touches/86% pass success rate.

Hardly much of a difference.

As I said earlier, instead of using their own judgement and making up their own mind, people just come out with pop-culture references. It's easy. No thought involved.

"Hiding from the ball" is just shit/lazy position. There's a video out there of him literally running behind opposition players though, blocking off passing lines to himself, which is pretty funny [emoji38]

Not sure how accurate that is of him all in all, but for all Longstaff's faults he pops up absolutely everywhere.

12 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Fair point.

Physically he's a monster. He wins his fair share of ground duels and air duels, more than Longstaff does. He gets dribbled past less often than Longstaff. I'd say that his passing is better, too.

He's also deceptively a really good dribbler.

He would be an upgrade on Longstaff.

:lol: 

5 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Very welcome. :)

Yeah. It's a strange one. It just shows you how toxic and viral the net can be. One bright spark said that he "hides from the ball", next thing we know it's like a scene from "The Scarlett letter". Maybe he should wear a big red "H" on his shirt. :p

As a Scotland fan, he's never really fluffed his lines at center back (in a back three) so I definitely trust him there.

In midfield, we haven't really seen the best of him.

Yeah. He isn't really an anchorman. His tackling is fine, but it's his general lack of defensive positioning that lets him down. I do think he's better going towards the opposition goal rather than his own.

I'd say that he's an old school box-to-box player.

Interesting. I agree to some extent, but even now, every top team plays with anchorman (in a single or double-pivot). Bayern Munich with Kimmich, Barcelona with Busquets, Manchester United with Casemiro, etc. Then you think of players like Kate, Makelele, Dunga, Deschamps, Lambert, etc.

A midfield, more than any position, has to be nuanced and be varied. Look what happened when Sven tried to squeeze Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard into the same team. Chaos.

I'm not going to lie, Scott McTominay is a strange player. But there is definitely a player in there. And he's certainly EPL class.

He strikes me as a confidence player. Frankly, if he were most players, and they received as much abuse as he gets, they would've blown a gasket and unleashed on the Manchester United fans.

Players like Lingard, Ronaldo and Pogba deserve the crap that they took, as all three took the club and fans for a ride. McTominay has been dignified and professional throughout. He doesn't deserve the crap that he takes from keyboard warriors who talk like they have a UEFA Coaching badge.

I don't think it's match going fans, though.

He's also a manager's dream. He won't cause any fuss behind the scenes and he'll do his job.

Tune in on Saturday and Tuesday, as we're playing Cyprus and Spain.

Well it’s certainly true that supporters of all clubs have a tendency to scapegoat players, and social media has exacerbated the problem

I  suppose I haven’t seen any particular piece of play, or any particular match,  where McTom has stood out. Obviously as an opposing fan I haven’t seen all that much of him, and maybe he’s not the type of player that produces the spectacular, but it’s still difficult to get excited about this signing

I would say that he’s been unlucky in starting his career at Man U at a time of such instability, especially with Rangnick being given that unclear role and with the crazy re-signing of Ronaldo. Yours has been an unhappy club and he could well benefit from a fresh start in a better atmosphere. Either way, Ten Haag seems to have settled on his best set up, and it doesn’t include him. He has to go.

Edited by Cronky

No offence but we need to being aiming higher than a Man Utd reserve.

Actually, fuck him, fuck Man Utd the wankstain shithouse cunt of a club, he can fuck right off.

PS. If he signed like all hypocrites I'll cheer him on with gay abandon.

Edited by Bimpy474

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Fred (who cost £50m) had on average of 61 touches/84% pass success rate per match last season. McTominay had 56 touches/86% pass success rate.

Hardly much of a difference.

As I said earlier, instead of using their own judgement and making up their own mind, people just come out with pop-culture references. It's easy. No thought involved.

Your comparison is a waste of time though since Fred is shite and I wouldn't want us to sign him either 

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Yep, or a Man Utd fan who wants rid of him so is spending his time trying to sell us all on him :lol:

I actually don't want him to leave. In an ideal world he will unlock his potential and stay put and cement a place In the first XI.

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

Well it’s certainly true that supporters of all clubs have a tendency to scapegoat players, and social media has exacerbated the problem

I  suppose I haven’t seen any particular piece of play, or any particular match,  where McTom has stood out. Obviously as an opposing fan I haven’t seen all that much of him, and maybe he’s not the type of player that produces the spectacular, but it’s still difficult to get excited about this signing

I would say that he’s been unlucky in starting his career at Man U at a time of such instability, especially with Rangnick being given that unclear role and with the crazy re-signing of Ronaldo. Yours has been an unhappy club and he could well benefit from a fresh start in a better atmosphere. Either way, Ten Haag seems to have settled on his best set up, and it doesn’t include him. He has to go.

Yeah. That's an excellent point and one that I've often made.

In previous generations youngers at Manchester United have had the likes of Keane, Bruce, Ince, Robson, Cantona, etc, to learn from, but the previous few generations of kids have had to learn on their feet. Pretty much why a few have went off the rails.

5 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

No offence but we need to being aiming higher than a Man Utd reserve.

Actually, fuck him, fuck Man Utd the wankstain shithouse cunt of a club, he can fuck right off.

PS. If he signed like all hypocrites I'll cheer him on with gay abandon.

At least you're honest. :)

50 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Yeah. That's an excellent point and one that I've often made.

In previous generations youngers at Manchester United have had the likes of Keane, Bruce, Ince, Robson, Cantona, etc, to learn from, but the previous few generations of kids have had to learn on their feet. Pretty much why a few have went off the rails.

Strangely no mention of Giggs there.

Until we sign him then it's speculation.

If we do sign him then I'd suggest Howe and co see enough in him to aid in the forward movement of this club.

As for what I think of him. I would support any player no matter who it was we bring in, like most would.

But, as we've known on many occasion, we get linked with all kinds of players and very few come to fruition or were never on the radar to start with except for rumour mill gossip..

12 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Fair point.

Physically he's a monster. He wins his fair share of ground duels and air duels, more than Longstaff does. He gets dribbled past less often than Longstaff. I'd say that his passing is better, too.

He's also deceptively a really good dribbler.

He would be an upgrade on Longstaff.

Exciting stuff