Brentford 1-2 Newcastle United (08/04/2023)

Mike

This period of time definitely has the feeling of being the future "good old days".

Not because we will be shit in the future, but because it's still slightly shocking and exhilarating that NUFC is this good - and capable of scoring three goals (including the disallowed one) in a spell of great play and blow a decent side off the park away from home.

In the future, it could be trite - and there'll be moans in some quarters at single-goal victories. [emoji38] Anything less than perfection, once expectations are raised will be lambasted.

This feels like pressure-free good times. Not competing for silverware but playing attacking football, carefree enough to try and score at 2-1 on the break rather than take it into the corner.

9 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Your opinion, and to an extent I agree. However, not understanding that we aren’t in the position to be spending £40m+ on a squad player is ‘tragic’ on your behalf. People are simply expecting more end product from

him due to the price, which is a little understandable. However, he’s never really had that end product, in fairness to him, so the expectation is a bit unrealistic right now. Yes, he could improve, and I’m sure at the club and under Howe, he’ll do that. 
‘Throwing’ was simply my (possibly bad) choice of wording for ‘paying’.

Fair enough man.

The manager must see something in him he really likes and so though it was worthwhile. Keep the faith man. Plenty more to come as he gets more integrated into the team. He'll have plenty more chances with the number of games we have to play next season now.

For what it's worth I actually like the idea of us spending more on squad players that are younger players with high potential that can eventually grow into a starting place as the first teamers get older. Joao Pedro is another younger player that will likely cost in the £30 million to £40 million range and would initially be a squad player, but think he'd be a great understudy and rotational player for Isak. Could see us going back in for him.

Reminiscent of Derby away under Sir Bobby 2-0 down 2-3 up with a second-half blitz after an iffy display. Same time of the year too.

Hoping for the same outcome in the season overall.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Superb effort. It wasn't perfect, but it's been tough on the legs. 5 wins on the bounce, we absolutely have to keep our heads now and keep the wins coming. A welcome week ahead of training ground work. 

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Thomas Frank seems to be as bitter as every other manager that loses to us. It's fantastic. 

He should be thanking the officials for 2 gifts today otherwise the score wouldn't have reflected their efforts at all 

It was a very tough game. It was very physical, as we knew it would be. We suffered in the first half. But second half, what a response from a group of players that have played three games in six days. They were asked to dig really deep for the result but responded really well.

"I have only seen one replay [of the penalty]. I thought it was harsh. I thought the handball on Callum was also harsh, but that is just my opinion.

"We changed things tactically [in the second half]. Sometimes that can give you a lift in itself. We knew we were desperate for the result and threw caution to the wind a little bit. The players responded well physically, even though we were a little bit fatigued from the week we have had. That is down to the characters we have.

"I think they [Callum Wilson and Alexander Isak] can play together in the right circumstances for the team. We don't want to force it and the team suffers, we want it to be to the benefit of the team. Today was the right time and they caused them no end of problems.

"From my side, there was 30 seconds left and he [Anthony Gordon] was down holding his ankle so I put an experienced player on the pitch. It is no reflection on his time on the pitch [to take him off]."

Edited by joeyt

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What's the greasy haired prat said? 

The usual lines, "we could've been 2/3 up by HT"     "they've got a £63M striker playing, what do you expect"

Not exact quotes, but you get the idea. Thinks we were lucky with how the game went basically.

7 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Thomas Frank seems to be as bitter as every other manager that loses to us. It's fantastic. 

Read his comments on BBC and they seem pretty fair?

They could have been out of sight first half but ackowledges we're a good team and did well second half

Just now, Mazzy said:

The usual lines, "we could've been 2/3 up by HT"     "they've got a £63M striker playing, what do you expect"

Not exact quotes, but you get the idea. Thinks we were lucky with how the game went basically.

Just winging it [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

They could have been 2/3 up by half time, I don't think that's a particularly bitter comment :lol:

One thing this result has done is remove any lingering doubts Brentford could catch us, they're now 12 behind us with a game in hand, and given they only have 24 points to get, seems next to impossible.

If results had been flipped they'd have reeled us in a little.