Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 23/04/23 @ 14:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Has to be:

Pope

Tripper    Schar      Botman      Burn

Bruno

Longstaff         Willock 

Miggy/Murphy                    Joelinton 

Wilson/Isak

I know loads will want Targett in but it just won't happen. 

What about Miggy vs Murphy?

What about Isak vs Wilson?

I've got a sneaky suspicion he will stick with Murphy, in order to give Miggy another week and I also think he brings Wilson in.

Gordon, Miggy and Isak from the bench.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Has to be:

Pope

Tripper    Schar      Botman      Burn

Bruno

Longstaff         Willock 

Miggy/Murphy                    Joelinton 

Wilson/Isak

I know loads will want Targett in but it just won't happen. 

What about Miggy vs Murphy?

What about Isak vs Wilson?

I've got a sneaky suspicion he will stick with Murphy, in order to give Miggy another week and I also think he brings Wilson in.

Gordon, Miggy and Isak from the bench.

Think Miggy and Isak for me personally, though you could make an argument for Wilson to physically pressure spurs back line

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Didn't know all that Sanchez stuff had happened at the weekend, Jesus. Other players have been deactivating their social accounts too.

It's the perfect time to play them.

He looked devastated on the bench like, hoping he's been getting pelters from the Spurs fans to demotivate their squad even further. :sadwave:

I think, to a man, we all agree Isak is the more talented player but we've  seen how well they have coped with being rotated.

It deals with Wilsons fitness and it keeps Isak hungry. I'm happy with either but i do feel like Isak would have the bigger impact late on.

Newcastle at home                         Spurs away

P14 W8-D5-L1                                 P15 W5-D5-L5

Last 5 games                                   Last 5 games

Forest 1-2 Newcastle                      Spurs 3-1 Forest

Newcastle 2-0 Man United             Southampton 3-3 Spurs

West Ham 1-5 Newcastle                Everton 1-1 Spurs

Brentford 1-2 Newcastle                 Spurs 2-1 Brighton

Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle              Spurs 2-3 Bournemouth

Newcastle at home v top half        Spurs away v top half

P6 W4-D1-L1                                   P6 W2-D1-L3

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Newcastle at home                         Spurs away

P14 W8-D5-L1                                 P15 W5-D5-L5

Last 5 games                                   Last 5 games

Forest 1-2 Newcastle                      Spurs 3-1 Forest

Newcastle 2-0 Man United             Southampton 3-3 Spurs

West Ham 1-5 Newcastle                Everton 1-1 Spurs

Brentford 1-2 Newcastle                 Spurs 2-1 Brighton

Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle              Spurs 2-3 Bournemouth

Newcastle at home v top half        Spurs away v top half

P6 W4-D1-L1                                   P6 W2-D1-L3

Crazy that everyone seems to agree that Spurs have had a bad season and yet if they hadn't conceded three stoppage time goals in the last month we'd be two points behind them.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

You'd have thought so. It'll either be that or a back four, which would be a pretty ballsy change of system at this stage if the season. 

Their best chance is with a back three though. I said earlier in the thread, but I don't feel that we look comfortable against teams who go 3-4-3. 

Looked alright against them at their place? They created fuck all bar that set piece, when Trippier was snoozing at the back post and let Kane score. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Looked alright against them at their place? They created fuck all bar that set piece, when Trippier was snoozing at the back post and let Kane score. 

They got in behind us a couple times in the first 20 minutes iirc. Son fluffed a 1v1 I think. After that spell though we were sound and never were in trouble. 

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

The first 15-20 minutes weren't great. Son got in behind 2-3 times, with him and Kane fluffing decent opportunities. We dropped a bit deeper after that and looked pretty comfortable. 

3 hours ago, STM said:

Isak from the bench

This just cannot, at all, happen. He has to be on the pitch the most amount of minutes possible. He’s one of the few dudes in our team that have any real class on the ball.

He simply has to start every match he is fit. 

We’ve been good in the big games at home under EH. Obviously hoping for a more Man Utd performance at home than Liverpool debacle mind 🙂

What would be nice would for us to not give up a chance within the first minute of the game like we’ve done against West Ham, Brentford and Villa! 😆

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We’ve been good in the big games at home under EH. Obviously hoping for a more Man Utd performance at home than Liverpool debacle mind 🙂

What would be nice would for us to not give up a chance within the first minute of the game like we’ve done against West Ham, Brentford and Villa! 😆

It's been a bit of a trend away from home this season. Less so on our own patch.

Can't think of a big home game this season where we haven't risen to the occasion spectacularly (Liverpool seemed like a distraction ahead of the final). If it wasn't for the manner of the Villa defeat I'd be so confident of winning this but instead I'm gonna spend the whole week crapping myself.

Interested to know how people think we will respond. Villa was just a blip right? RIGHT?!?!

2 hours ago, cubaricho said:

This just cannot, at all, happen. He has to be on the pitch the most amount of minutes possible. He’s one of the few dudes in our team that have any real class on the ball.

Wilson had serious minutes when underperforming, Isak has had one quiet game. It would be extremely harsh to drop him based on his overall performance since he got into the side. 

1 minute ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Can't think of a big home game this season where we haven't risen to the occasion spectacularly (Liverpool seemed like a distraction ahead of the final). If it wasn't for the manner of the Villa defeat I'd be so confident of winning this but instead I'm gonna spend the whole week crapping myself.

Interested to know how people think we will respond. Villa was just a blip right? RIGHT?!?!

I think we likely just played the wrong team at the wrong time. I'd 100% call it a blip, however, I have two concerns:

1) I think we have some tired legs out there

2) We were not very good for large stretches of the West Ham and Brentford games. Seems crazy since we won 7-2 on aggregate but you could say there were signs heading into Villa.

11 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think we likely just played the wrong team at the wrong time. I'd 100% call it a blip, however, I have two concerns:

1) I think we have some tired legs out there

2) We were not very good for large stretches of the West Ham and Brentford games. Seems crazy since we won 7-2 on aggregate but you could say there were signs heading into Villa.

On that second point. I think football fans can be guilty of overrating their own players and performances. But also of the opposite and being overly critical. 

Not many teams in this league will dominate games from start to finish and stop the opposition from creating any meaningful chances. We did it against Man U. Villa did it to us the other day. The Brentford first half they battered us. Then we should have scored 4 in the second. West Ham had the spells where they pressured us. But were not clinical, defended badly and we ended up taking the piss in the end.

In loads of our games this season. There have been momentum shifts and spells in matches where one side has the upper hand. It’s how well we have dealt with these and the game management (Eddie Howe’s Dark Arts Mags™️) that has been so impressive. 

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

We were amazing home to Man U, whilst the score line probably flattered, also excellent away to West Ham. I think we got the run of the green (and about time too) away to Brentford. We’ll be better at home to Spurs than the mullering we got away to Villa. I think the first goal will be crucial but I’m sure we won’t be as off form as the last two away games. Defensively we look tired and perhaps a little worked-out. But yes, I choose to think it is a blip. Keep the crowd up for it and Spurs will see their arse. 

4 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Aye, barring injury or him being badly jaded he's an automatic starter every game.