Everton vs. Newcastle United: 27/04/23 @ 19:45 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

The last few weeks have reminded me how consistent you have to be for champions league qualification. Id totally forgotton that its points, points, points every game, every week.

We need to win this and I think we will.

If we find ourselves going for the title in the next few years then the consistency has to be even better. It almost makes me appreciate that Manure team that relentlessly overtook when we were 12 points ahead. Almost...

15 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Do you think? Feels like a similar week to the London week where we had 3 games in 6 days where Wilson started at West Ham.

I know this has an extra days rest but feels like it might be a good time to start Wilson and put Isak back in Sunday.

Isak is more rested now, and more importantly stronger/fit physically. Also, against Everton away and them sitting back at times (i would guess) and with Tarkowski being pretty strong physically and in the air then i think i prefer the finesse and better creativity in general play from Isak.

I would guess that Howe will see it this way too. Southampton at home we will/should have too much for them anyway. Plus IF we have to counter at times against Everton and the game flows from one end to another then having isak in transition is better. Hopefully we play well enough for them barely being on our side of the pitch.  Having said that i very much rate Wilson too.

Edited by Ikon

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder with Forest winning tomorrow if Everton are a bit more front-footed tonight. Draws aren't really good enough for them at this stage.

Can't see it myself. I think Dyche knows he doesn't have the players to play like that, so will instead set them up to be really tough to break down and hope to grab something from a set piece. 

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder with Forest winning tomorrow if Everton are a bit more front-footed tonight. Draws aren't really good enough for them at this stage.

Probably benefit us if they are.

47 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Do you think? Feels like a similar week to the London week where we had 3 games in 6 days where Wilson started at West Ham.

I know this has an extra days rest but feels like it might be a good time to start Wilson and put Isak back in Sunday.

Will be amazed if Isak doesn't start. Think if he was going to play Wilson he'd have left Isak in for much more of the game on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, TBG said:

Those advocating for Gordon not being involved.

Is it this fixture only, or will it be an ongoing thing with Everton away (on the basis they stay up) 

Fair question.

I know it's not what you're getting at, but for me it's a no-brainer until he's proven on merit that he's the best available option for the team.

Can't see how Joelinton or Murphy get dropped after the weekend, and if Murphy did get dropped or rested then Almiron would be the better option for me.

Once he's an invaluable member of the team then it's a conversation to have, but now it would seem like weakening the starting xi just to poke the bear.

1 minute ago, Andy84 said:

Surely these can’t low block all game, they’re going to have to play higher and get players around DCL

Against Palace they were pretty direct about getting the ball into DCL. As you say, they tried to get McNeil and Gray running off him.

19 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Surely these can’t low block all game, they’re going to have to play higher and get players around DCL

Yeah looking at their run in they can’t really grind out draws. They need wins, if we beat them tonight I think there’s a good chance they are down. 

Bournemouth Southampton tonight has no good outcomes for them if they lose.

I don't want to hear any excuses about unlucky away kits, TV broadcasting jinxes or intimidation by flares/noise under the floodlights etc. These need to be dispatched tonight & we need to be prepared for anything that they throw at us. If last year's experience hasn't prepared us for what we will face then I don't know what else would.

We're just so much better than we were last year and they're a decent bit worse. I know anything can happen in are league, but it would be a genuine upset for them to win.

It all just smacks of an uber professional away performance by Eddie's Magic Mags, to me, depending on how charitable Marriner's feeling towards the Toffees.

Not a must-win from a points standpoint, but it is for the nerves. I have no doubt we'll take care of Southampton on Sunday. A win tonight and I'll be looking more at the possibility of 3rd than the fear of 5th.