Everton vs. Newcastle United: 27/04/23 @ 19:45 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's been so long since we were in the CL, I wonder if they still do the 'home teams wear the away kit for kit clashes' thing?

Also, we owe these a thumping at some point at Goodison.  It's never been a happy hunting ground for us (unlike at home - from memory, our total head-to-head record vs Everton is almost a complete tie, including goals scored vs each other throughout the entire history of games between us - none of that 'post-92' shite).  I think a breezy 3-0 will be the order of the day.

A 2-0 win would put us on completely level terms in 174 matches played. 

Just now, Pokerprince2004 said:

I remember Kieron Dyer scoring a brilliant goal when he got it on the halfway line ran to the edge of the box and lobbed their keeper. Think we won 2-0. 

I remember one of McClaren's last games, Dummett lining himself up to cross the ball, doing a little shuffle to steady himself, then falling on his face and the ball went out for a throw-in. Pretty much summed up the McClaren era.

I can be pessimistic at times, especially in the past. However I think we will win this easily. We will play with swagger and be all relaxed and the confidence plus the importance of it means we will be up for it. More quality and confidence and momentum. We will punish them. 

We do have a shite record at Goodison, no doubt and the crowd will of course play its part. It'll be a tricky game, but for the first time in a while we're a much better team than them and should be looking for all three points. 

I wouldn't 'take' a draw but I don't think it would be a bad result. I know we've won there fairly recently but that was the Covid season; discount that and it's a truly miserable record at Goodison when you consider the amount of rubbish Everton teams we've faced there. 

If they've got the legs I'd stick with the same team and then rotate if necessary at the weekend. Interesting to see how he deals with the Gordon situation. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We do have a shite record at Goodison, no doubt and the crowd will of course play its part. It'll be a tricky game, but for the first time in a while we're a much better team than them and should be looking for all three points. 

Yes and we are rewriting the stats.  We win this. Too strong, too fast, too good! :indi:

Just now, Yorkie said:

I wouldn't 'take' a draw but I don't think it would be a bad result. I know we've won there fairly recently but that was the Covid season; discount that and it's a truly miserable record at Goodison when you consider the amount of rubbish Everton teams we've faced there. 

If they've got the legs I'd stick with the same team and then rotate if necessary at the weekend. Interesting to see how he deals with the Gordon situation. 

Eddie will probably throw him in from the start [emoji38] but probably unchanged if fit! 

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Eddie will probably throw him in from the start [emoji38] but probably unchanged if fit! 

It would probably make more sense to start him than to bring him on. A mid second half sub will only galvanize the home crowd. 

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Aye, generally the same with most away games. Beat Southampton and 7 points from this week would be a tidy return. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It would probably make more sense to start him than to bring him on. A mid second half sub will only galvanize the home crowd. 

Would be fascinating to see if he ends up having his best or worst game for us. Suspect it wouldn't be anything in between.

Gordon situation is weird. As others have said, you have to be careful when you bring him on as it's going to get the home crowd massively up and behind the side. Bring him on while the game is close and it could create a cauldron like atmosphere. I would honestly leave him on the bench and only bring him on if we need something, or we're 2/3 goals ahead.

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Gordon situation is weird. As others have said, you have to be careful when you bring him on as it's going to get the home crowd massively up and behind the side. Bring him on while the game is close and it could create a cauldron like atmosphere. I would honestly leave him on the bench and only bring him on if we need something, or we're 2/3 goals ahead.

Agree, think it’s a game he could lose his head in quickly if their crowd are on him. Equally, it could spur him on but as he’s so young I’d be cautious. It’s not like we don’t have other options as well 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Maybe a disguise also whilst on the bench? 
image.jpeg.6638deece20038d0a9454b281dafb3f7.jpeg

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Agree, think it’s a game he could lose his head in quickly if their crowd are on him. Equally, it could spur him on but as he’s so young I’d be cautious. It’s not like we don’t have other options as well 

Given the abuse and confrontation he had prior to leaving, I’d protect him. Think Eddie will too. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They're a weird bunch aren't they? Hounding players out and chasing them down the street, but when they have nothing left but desperation it's blue smoke bombs and get behind the lads.  

Just a deeply insecure fanbase for the most part imo, much like the mackems.