Everton vs. Newcastle United: 27/04/23 @ 19:45 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

We’ll probably have to try and weather an initial barrage of flying tackles and frothing Evertonians in the stands. They have weaknesses all over the pitch so we should be able to pick them off once things settle. We’re miles better than last season but the result there last year showed it’s far from straightforward. Isak is a fucking nightmare for their defence.

Interesting game this, Everton fans will be hoping crowd and the occasion can carry a team that has looked pretty insipid over the last couple of weeks. 

DCL returned for Everton at the weekend, giving them a much need focal point to their attack. They'll most likely line up 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 and won't at all be afraid to go direct to DCL. He'll then be expected to bring runners into play, most likely a couple of Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi or Grey depending how they choose to set up. Gueye will sit, potentially with Garner and look to disrupt and protect a vulnerable looking back four. The return of Doucoure and Onana, along with DCL building up his fitness should  help them on the run in. 

As for us, we need to play the game rather than the occasion. Since Dyche took charge they have beaten Arsenal, Brentford and Leeds at Goodison, but have lost to Fulham and Villa, though they haven't scored more than a single goal in any of his home games. The only changes I can foresee are potentially Lascelles in for Schar and Wilson in for Isak. The former might actually help with their physicality and direct goal threat. 

On paper we're strong favourites to win this, but Everton will be looking to turn this into a scrap and bring the home crowd into play. It really does look a carbon copy of last year's fixture with us flying high and Everton in desperate need of a win to stay in the league and we all know how that ended. On the hand if we score early, it really could get quite toxic for them. Given the recent form of both sides it's difficult not to fancy us here. I think it'll be a tough game, but I fancy as to come away with a hard fought win: 1-2. 

Edited by The Prophet

47 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Interesting game this, Everton fans will be hoping crowd and the occasion can carry a team that has looked pretty insipid over the last couple of weeks. 

DCL returned for Everton at the weekend, giving them a much need focal point to their attack. They'll most likely line up 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 and won't at all be afraid to go direct to DCL. He'll then be expected to bring runners into play, most likely a couple of Onana, Doucoure, Iwobi or Grey depending how they choose to set up. Gueye will sit, potentially with Garner and look to disrupt and protect a vulnerable looking back four. The return of Doucoure and Onana, along with DCL building up his fitness should  help them on the run in. 

As for us, we need to play the game rather than the occasion. Since Dyche took charge they have beaten Arsenal, Brentford and Leeds at Goodison, but have lost to Fulham and Villa, though they haven't scored more than a single goal in any of his home games. The only changes I can foresee are potentially Lascelles in for Schar and Wilson in for Isak. The former might actually help with their physicality and direct goal threat. 

On paper we're strong favourites to win this, but Everton will be looking to turn this into a scrap and bring the home crowd into play. It really does look a carbon copy of last year's fixture with us flying high and Everton in desperate need of a win to stay in the league and we all know how that ended. On the hand if we score early, it really could get quite toxic for them. Given the recent form of both sides it's difficult not to fancy us here. I think it'll be a tough game, but I fancy as to come away with a hard fought win: 1-2. 

Not happy that DCL is back for this one, but hopefully he's lost his edge after being out so long. Not arsed about the intimidating atmosphere, after the Villa debacle we won't go into this one with a casual attitude.

On Grand Old Team they seem very confident that this will be a repeat of last season and they will turn us over. The usual anti-Geordie/NUFC diatribe going on too. Please, please beat these cunts.

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

On Grand Old Team they seem very confident that this will be a repeat of last season and they will turn us over. The usual anti-Geordie/NUFC diatribe going on too. Please, please beat these cunts.

Are they talking about fireworks and coaches? It must be so fun supporting them. Usually before the match I have to go to the pub with my mates.

1 minute ago, Hovagod said:

Are they talking about fireworks and coaches? It must be so fun supporting them. Usually before the match I have to go to the pub with my mates.

Haven't seen any of that as yet. Plenty of talk of making it a bearpit though.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Haven't seen any of that as yet. Plenty of talk of making it a bearpit though.

Watched them against Spurs and was distinctly underwhelmed by the atmosphere. Last year they made a racket to be fair

Just now, Hovagod said:

Watched them against Spurs and was distinctly underwhelmed by the atmosphere. Last year they made a racket to be fair

They did but it was only after that lunatic chained himself to the post that they came into the game.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Aye. They are basing it on the wins against Arsenal & Brentford, mainly.

I do not doubt for 1 second that this will be a difficult match away from home under the lights at a stadium that always sounds pretty intimidating on weeknights. I do not think we will turn them over, nor do I think they will for us. Thank God Gordon now plays for us because I'd actually be worried about him against us at home when his fans were backing him. 

Key for us will be how we jump out the blocks, and if our pressing starts working early (remember they have a good ball player GK who will attempt to kick beyond our press) and our CBs are winning higher up the pitch then we'll be good. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

I do not doubt for 1 second that this will be a difficult match away from home under the lights at a stadium that always sounds pretty intimidating on weeknights. I do not think we will turn them over, nor do I think they will for us. Thank God Gordon now plays for us because I'd actually be worried about him against us at home when his fans were backing him. 

Key for us will be how we jump out the blocks, and if our pressing starts working early (remember they have a good ball player GK who will attempt to kick beyond our press) and our CBs are winning higher up the pitch then we'll be good. 

I doubt Gordon will get much game time, if any. The stakes might be too high for this particular moment in time.

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Fuck me, you wouldn't think this lot are still in a relegation scrap. Delusional pricks.

They’re going to try and make this a fight.

I watched them against Palace, and while it was away, they were very conservative and wanted to counter attack. I think the same will be true here alongside a threat from set pieces.

It’ll be a good test for our lot, and we have to avoid anything like the Villa showing. 

Draw wouldn't be a terrible result but I certainly wouldn't take it right now.

Bookies have us 8/11 for a reason, they'll make it tough for sure but we should beat this lot anyway as we're fucking quality.