Newcastle United vs. Southampton: 30/04/23 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

There’s some shit takes over on saintsweb, bullshit saying we’d be in the championship without all the money spent. They want to put a two footed challenge on Jacob Murphys head too. Oh but at least one poster was complimentary on our fanbase saying that when we were in League 1 we had 40,000 fans in the stadium. 

Longstaff missing will be felt more in the Brighton and Arsenal games which I believed if we are full strength we could win.

Was interesting to see that video someone posted of saints fans talking and one of them saying they "hated Eddie Howe and his punchable face"

Always thought if I was a supporter of another club I would like Eddie, as he doesn't lose his shit on the touchline like the rest of them do, he's measured and fair in his press and doesn't purposely wind up opposition to get a rise. 

But maybe I have rose tinted glasses?

3 minutes ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

There’s some shit takes over on saintsweb, bullshit saying we’d be in the championship without all the money spent. They want to put a two footed challenge on Jacob Murphys head too. Oh but at least one poster was complimentary on our fanbase saying that when we were in League 1 we had 40,000 fans in the stadium. 

If Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc didn't buy players they'd be in a lower league also.  So would any club. Bit thick these Southampton fans.

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

Longstaff missing will be felt more in the Brighton and Arsenal games which I believed if we are full strength we could win.

Was interesting to see that video someone posted of saints fans talking and one of them saying they "hated Eddie Howe and his punchable face"

Always thought if I was a supporter of another club I would like Eddie, as he doesn't lose his shit on the touchline like the rest of them do, he's measured and fair in his press and doesn't purposely wind up opposition to get a rise. 

Bournemouth are a local rival. Not as much as Portsmouth, but still.

Yeah I think Longstaff's reputation was given a boost because of the Villa result but I don't think they're really all that related. It's not like everyone else played well or the system was fine but missing Longstaff meant it fell apart. Not to mention he came on and we didn't improve at all.

That's not to say he's not important either, more that in the Villa match everything was wrong.

42 minutes ago, Shak said:

If we get absolutely played off the field and lose 3-0 again just because Longstaff is out... how do you think we process that? :lol:

I don’t think there’s much chance of that, but I do think we need to re-think the whole ‘aren’t we doing well with limited players’ narrative. Almiron and Joelinton (obviously) have shown their true level and are less controversial top of the table type players.

There may well come a time (and it might well be now) when the contributions and consistency of Longstaff, Willock and Murphy (feel free to add Burn, Targett and others to the list) forces a re-categorisation from mid-table players at best (…we have all thought/said worse than that) to recognition of their achieved potential as top six worthy ballers. 

39 minutes ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

We would be int he championship if we wernt taken over 

38 minutes ago, alexf said:

Bournemouth and Southampton is only 32 miles apart - they're going to hate him

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Might treat myself to Radio Newcastle this aft in the absence of any TV. 

You can enjoy Pixar John Anderson. Just 18 months since Murphy missed the “JUST PUT IT IN THE NET” chance at Watford to laughing along to his every goal.

If Longstaff is out I think we need to be playing a double pivot really. We need two CMs covering in defensive transitions. Longstaff does this as an 8 but it was massively missing vs Villa. Gaps everywhere and exposed defence.  

Would probably go:

Bruno - Joelinton

Murph - Isak - Willock

Wilson

1 hour ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

If my auntie had a cock she’d be my uncle 

1 hour ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, alexf said:

Southampton/Bournemouth rivalry thing maybe? 🤷🏻‍♂️