Newcastle United 3-1 Southampton (30/04/2023)

BlueStar

3 minutes ago, buzz said:

Tell you what I'd be absolutely gutted if we spent money on JWP. 

I read that as KWP initially, completely agreed on JWP but KWP would actually be someone I’d seriously go for in the summer. Does his transfermarkt has him down as having played way more games at RB than LB but i feel like I’ve seen him at LB a fair amount. Am I just delusional?

Brilliant! Really couldn't asked for a better response to that first half than that.

That might be the line up we have to go with now if Longstaff's out for a while because Willock and Joelinton are so much better when they're near each other and both Wilson and Isak have made themselves undroppable. 

That's the power of Howe. The Newcastle I knew and begrudgingly loved make a complete meal of that for the full 90 minutes. 

Pope: 6.5

Trippier: 7.5

Schär: 6.5

Botman: 7.5

Burn: 7.5

Bruno: 5.5

Joelinton: 7

Willock: 7

Murphy: 6.5/Almiron: 7

Isak: 8

Gordon: 7/Wilson: 10

5 minutes ago, Chicane said:

Surprised we've "only" scored 61 goals this season, feels like we hump someone every week :lol:

From Leeds to City we only scored 3 goals in 8 league games. Since that time we’ve scored 26 in 9. That’s averaging almost 3 goals a game over a quarter of the season and includes getting shutout. [emoji38]

1 hour ago, alexf said:

Important not to chase this too much else we'll get done on counter again.

But certainly been sloppy and disjointed so far. Too many players have moved positions and have lost their rhythm due to longstaffs injury. 

Wilson needs to be on soon than later. 

It's really nice that, like all the top teams from years gone by, feels like we have more gears we can get to and can turn games around and just smother teams now.

We are going to have games where we look sloppy and not at it and if we can turn those games around into wins then we are looking the real deal. 

4 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Could have taken Murphy off and had the same effect.  Gordon had the better half out of the two.

I suspect Gordon was sacrificed because of Murphy’s recent form.

I disagree with that. Yes Gordon was more involved in the first have, but he made bad decisions and he slows down our build up.It looks like he cant play it on first touch as he always use 2-3 touches before he pass the ball, and this also slows us down and makes us loose momentum in the counter attack.

Murphy did not have a good game, but he is much more direct which suits us more, also he is more of a teamplayer than Gordon is.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Both Wilson and Isak have made themselves undroppable. 

I couldn't agree more about this. The competition has really fired Wilson up. He needs to be rewarded for that. 

That second half man. 

It was like we just held them down and kept punching. At least they mustered something in the first period. Credit to our lot, another show of character to come out and rectify things. Hope we’ve got that stinker out the system.

That bit of play on the right hand side of our own half near the corner flag was pure brilliant. Complete calmness and one touch passing then just worked our way out of it with a ball up the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, OCK said:

Southampton are in my forever boogie team category, simply due to the shit results we'd get in the 90s and early 00s. 

I’m sure we must have put down a cheque to help towards building their new ground.  We never got owt down at the Dell - haven’t been too bad since they moved to St Mary’s 

First half was sloppy and poor, I thought at half time we would end up enduring a second half of them sitting in and wasting time, and that we’d struggle to break them down.

Second half was class. The atmosphere for about 20 minutes was as good as I’ve known it and we just piled the pressure on them. Class.

Isak and Wilson is a cheat code. 

Plumped for dog walk and Radio Newcastle in the end, so only got a feel for the performance etc. Was this the formation on the second half?

Pope

Trippier     Schar     Botman       Burn

Willock    Bruno   Joelinton

Murphy           Wilson                Isak 

Then Miggy/Murphy like-for-like?

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m sure we must have put down a cheque to help towards building their new ground.  We never got owt down at the Dell - haven’t been too bad since they moved to St Mary’s 

Know Wimbledon was a bogey ground/s but nowhere felt as cursed as the Dell.

Play them off the park Le-Tissier scores two worldies 0-1 up with a few minutes to go lose 3-1, 0-2 up under Kenny Defenceleash, with aminute to go draw 2-2.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Krabbe2 said:

We can't buy many players because we have Gordon, Burn and Murphy. Won't get anywhere then.

What the fuck does this post mean? Just have to ask again.