Newcastle United 3-1 Southampton (30/04/2023)

BlueStar

Lavia was the difference between us not battering them.

Fair play to the Southampton fans. Didn’t Nash off really early after our second. 

We started like we did at Everton. Sloppy passing. Pressure getting to us on how close we are now to that golden place in the league.

11 corners and although we had an OG from one of them. I really don’t understand how we are so shocking at scoring from them. Any team has one against us and I’m shitting it.

Gordon needs his very rough edges fixed before he is the real deal. Isak is off the charts incredible on the ball. He stands right out at how good he is.

How did we bag this new Messi is beyond me. But he is black n white now. 

10 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

How bad was the first?  I was there (drunk) and it just felt more lethargic than bad.  

Just smacked of complacency and resulted in all round poor play. Glad Howe got the message across at HT as we showed the gap between the 2 sides second half.

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

We looked a bit like Man Utd under Ferguson in need of a goal in that 2nd half. Constant grinding and just all over them. Relentless.

We're a top side now and we have been all season. Fucking hell.

We've been a top side since February of last year.

57 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

The Man U fan at half time taking the shots. 🤣🤣🤣

People in the corner shouting “you fat bastard” at him.

I hate half time like. A couple of whoppers kicking the ball at the goal, either side of 100 “happy birth-deys”, shite. 

Another 9 hour round trip on a Sunday, totally worth it again!

Hot takes on the game without a replay - 

Thought Gordon was dangerous, but lacked confidence and still doesn’t know how we play / press. He will be different, I hope, after a full pre season. Reminded me a bit of early season Murphy, particularly lack of strength, and was gassed midway through half 

Difference second half was having players close to each other up top. The problem with Murphy and Gordon playing in a 4-3-3 is they play far too wide, they are traditional wingers. Isak was on his own, same as Villa (not that performances were akin, just that bit). First with Wilson, then with Almiron, we overrun them through the middle and tore them apart. 

Most the team were on their knees at the end. I’ve never seen so many of them shattered like that. They knew how important that was and played a tempo they could only manage 45 mins, but got the result. 

Huge next 7 days. Scouse drop points in either game before ours, or if we beat Arsenal, I think we are there. For 60 seconds with spurs at 3-3 I thought that was it 

46 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

We've been a top side since February of last year.

I think last season was more down to momentum, we were good but nothing special. This season we are a legit top 4 team who play enjoyable football. Replacing Wood with Isak is pretty significant tbh. :lol: