Newcastle United 3-1 Southampton (30/04/2023)

BlueStar

Isak looks so much better on the left against teams that drop this deep. When he's up front he drops deep anyway, but he couldn't get in the game today until he was moved wide. Wilson on the other hand loves these kinds of games where defences sit deep. He's so shartp in and around the box whereas Isak does his best work further out. 

I see no reason why we can't start both. Gordon is a work in progress. He looks low on confidence and probably needs a goal to get going.

6 minutes ago, Field said:

The real mugs are those that didn’t want Wilson to come in for Gordon at half time.

Nah, the real mugs are the people that have a melt down every time things aren't going perfect every second of every game, and don't trust the manager or the team to turn things around.

Just now, ohmelads said:

Isak looks so much better on the left against teams that drop this deep. When he's up front he drops deep anyway, but he couldn't get in the game today until he was moved wide. Wilson on the other hand loves these kinds of games where defences sit deep. He's so shartp in and around the box whereas Isak does his best work further out. 

Not sure it's a fair comparison, as one guy is being supplied by Aleksander Isak and the other isn't. 

I now have a dilemma i don't if i should watch the Liverpool game or kick back with a beer (just finished work whilst listening to the game at same time) and just stare at premiere table. 

1 minute ago, ohmelads said:

I see no reason why we can't start both. Gordon is a work in progress. He looks low on confidence and probably needs a goal to get going.

Gordon loses the ball too easily and can’t pick out a pass like Isak. But then who can? What an extraordinary player.

1 minute ago, ohmelads said:

Yeah, Wilson looks to push right up and engage the centre-backs physically, and that unsettles them and also creates more space as it pushes them back.

To get the best of Isak as a striker, when he's dropping into those spaces, our passing into him needs to be sharp, and we need runners getting ahead of him when he drops. Really useful having the option to change it with Callum when it's not quite coming together. 

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

Four matches we've been up against jwp and not once did I think he's good. Lavia on the other hand is. 

Vastly overrated. If he couldn’t ping in a free kick he’d be an absolute irrelevance.