Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

Was must not lose today for me, means we can’t drop from third this week. Need to win the two home games now. Shame we couldn’t win it but we still have one more free hit, which hopefully will be the Chelsea game. Not doom and gloom yet.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

A result that should hopefully instill some humility in the naive assertions that good team beats bad team when it gets to this stage of the season. Teams are battling, nerves set in, and everything's chaotic, nothing is straightforward or a given.

Honestly, a good point and a bad point imo. So many offshoots from that result where we were lucky to get a point, naive when we were ahead, and robbed by the ref as well. 

I'll take it as a positive result in the context of a poor performance where we could have easily lost. Outside of that context and having been 2-1 up, it's poor though. You have to target our two home matches now

Agree with that but it’s ultra frustrating as we had the chances to kill the game and not let them back in but it felt like we dropped off a % after we scored and they took full advantage. 

Just now, St1pe said:

I don’t think Gordon did too badly despite all the criticism.

Him and Trippier before the goal was bad. He had the chance to turn and attack their defence. Really poor by both

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

A result that should hopefully instill some humility in the naive assertions that good team beats bad team when it gets to this stage of the season. Teams are battling, nerves set in, and everything's chaotic, nothing is straightforward or a given.

Honestly, a good point and a bad point imo. So many offshoots from that result where we were lucky to get a point, naive when we were ahead, and robbed by the ref as well. 

I'll take it as a positive result in the context of a poor performance where we could have easily lost. Outside of that context and having been 2-1 up, it's poor though. You have to target our two home matches now

Pope: 10

Tripper: 4

Schar: 6

Botman: 6

Burn: 5

Bruno: 5

Joelinton: 5

Willock: 6

Almiron: 5.5

Wilson: 8

Isak: 7

I know what you’re gonna say but Schar was imperious.

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

I think the “fanny” “pathetic” and “bedwetter” comments coming from some in here is harsh. People are entitled to feel a bit concerned at the thought of missing out on top 4 and our performances not being as good as they’ve been during the season. 

Football is an emotional game that’s why it’s good. It’s the same people saying it that said it to anyone that was worried about this exact game lol 

8 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Poor game. Poor performance. Poor refereeing.  Poor result.  Poor luck. More not less pressure.

Weather's good though.

Disappointing, especially because we got it to 2-1. I thought handball in the box with a striker behind you would be an automatic yellow, but the ref was a total homer. There were two Leeds fouls in the first 60 seconds, and it was clear then we were going to see more. Then he books Bruno for diving.

Just now, CFlan said:

Worse thing for me was Leeds are as bad of a team as I’ve seen and we barely looked capable of scoring from open play. 

I thought what they lacked in quality they made up with fight, kicked lumps out of us, closed us down. Made it very difficult generally. Atmosphere sounded red hot. Not easy conditions to play in at all. 

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

Disappointing but some of the posts in here have been fucking embarrassing man. Remember where we've come from lads, the fact we're in the race for THIRD in the league with three games to go is ridiculous.

If we don't get there we don't get there, it's not the end of the world, let's not start acting like entitled babies and turning on the players who've got us here, fucking hell. 

Truth. There’s no easy games and Leeds were every inch a Fat Sam team today. Was always going to be a tricky one and we were undone by a massive deflection. 

5 minutes ago, Decky said:

Look at the state of Leeds. :lol: Celebrating like they've made a cup final. You's didn't win and are still in the bottom 3 ffs. :lol: 

They could be relegated before even kicking a ball next match and they fought like it today. 

Just now, Aiston said:

Need a miracle now for top4.

We need to win a maximum of two games (two of which are at home) and Liverpool can’t slip up at all. Its all in our hands. 

If we don’t get into it from this position then we very clearly don’t deserve to be there. 

Just now, Aiston said:

Need a miracle now for top4.

E.g. straight after my post^

"a miracle" is getting 6 points from three games. A certainty? No. A miracle? 6 points from three games. A miracle. :lol: :lol: 

Howay man. Have a word some of yous :lol:

Remembering all the 10s on the relegationometer last season

We've been caught in that horrible position between trying to press, but with doubts in the back of our minds which creates the worst of both worlds. Means our defence is exposed over and over.

Think Eddie needs to be a bit more pragmatic when we go 2-1 and tell them to keep a good shape first and foremost.

Leggy performance and some terrible individual performances. No hiding from that.

A vast majority of folk wouldn't have that game put a slight on a great season, but that wasn't anything other than shit.

People are entitled  to feel the way they feel , and are entitled to voice there opinion... but some of the negativity in this thread during and after the match is ludicrous [emoji38] Listen, were 2 wins away from the champions league !!!  My God if someone had said to me in August we would have to win 2 of our last 3 games to qualify for the champions league i would of got you sectioned....

No matter what happens this had been one of the most positive and exciting seasons ive witnessed in my 24 years following this club... and if we get champions league or not we are already ahead of schedule

So calm down everybody and enjoy the next few weeks, because I have a feeling its going to be special

Edited by GavMcEl

It’s only a bottle job if we lost this. We were poor but their second was flukey as fuck. 

Completely different end to the game if the ref does his job and sends Firpo off 20 minutes earlier. It hurts but grow up. 

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

E.g. straight after my post^

"a miracle" is getting 6 points from three games. A certainty? No. A miracle? 6 points from three games. A miracle. :lol: :lol: 

Howay man. Have a word some of yous :lol:

Remembering all the 10s on the relegationometer last season

A max of 6 points that is, if Leicester do us a favour on Monday either a draw or win, then one more win would do it 

Just now, Disco said:

Agree with that but it’s ultra frustrating as we had the chances to kill the game and not let them back in but it felt like we dropped off a % after we scored and they took full advantage. 

Agree. That passage of play where Gordon, Bruno, and Trippier were just knocking it about like there was 2 minutes left against a team with nothing to play for was really stupid.

10 minutes ago, Menace said:

I think we need a new RB in the summer. I do not want to see Trippier starting every week next season.

Biggest takeaway from this game for me.

Trippier has to be a situational player next season.

Only to be used against teams that are not very physical and do not have someone very quick and tricky on his side.

He's really small, quite slow and not very physical. He's been brilliant on the whole this season, but against the wrong kind of team or player he is a liability defensively.

In addition to this I also somewhat feel the same about Amiron too. Has to be a squad player next season, to be brought in against the right kind of opponent. Kept looking to fall over and gesture to the ref every time he was challenged, which only emboldened Leeds and made our play more and more disjointed.

Trippier and Almiron today were very very disappointing, and it was often the undercurrent to a lot of our play getting spoiled.

Edited by KaKa