Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

Constructively, the issues today were the same as in recent weeks. The first issue being that we have a few players that are clearly out of form - it happens, it doesn't make the players shit. The second issue is that we've lost a key component to our midfield in Longstaff and have had to replace him with a guy who doesn't know the role in Joelinton. He's learning the position on the job and, because he's used to playing further up the pitch, doesn't really know where to be when other players are on the ball and sometimes wants too much time when he's on it.

This isn't a criticism of Joelinton, he's outstanding. He just isn't a CM. There's certainly an argument that we should have strengthened there in January, but obviously the correct player wasn't available. If that means we miss out on top 4, we need to learn from that and strengthen the squad depth next season. The reality is that 18 months ago we were a ship that was sinking due to being riddled with holes, we've plugged most of those holes in a ridiculously short space of time but it's inevitable that a few would still remain. It's far too early in the transitional process to wet the bed over it. 

1 minute ago, Superior Acuña said:

He was awesome first half of the season. Been pretty poor in the second half tbh. I wonder how many of those chances are from corners/free kicks and how many total attemps he has had from these.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Howe got it totally wrong today with those substitutions and our defence looks nervous as fuck. For the first time I'm actually now unsure if we will get this over the line. 

Murph has been quality since he came in, proper in form and he brings lead shoes Almiron back in… away from home.

Let's not forget, Leeds are "fighting for their lives" because they have been largely shit for 30+ games this season. We can't use that as any sort of excuse or justification for a poor performance and we have to play considerably better against Brighton.

We'll see how Liverpool handle a team fighting for their lives on Monday night...

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Now I'm over my anger I think it's not a bad point. 

Yeah. We could’ve easily been 2-0 down and fucked.

Hopefully we take the point and learn, specifically abandon this Isak and Wilson starting nonsense which never should’ve become a thing.

1 minute ago, Beren said:

I think it's a fair criticism. It doesn't mean the side should be consigned to the dustbin forever, but it's fair to acknowledge their was a lack of control in the play which we know the side is capable of - and that we played Leeds' game, not ours.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned, they need to learn play big matches with high stakes.

* - only saw second half

I agree with that. I don't agree with any suggestion that the players are mentally weak. They had to display serious mental fortitude to leave with a point there. Yes we let a lead slip but as Bamford was stepping up, we were staring down the barrel of the Europa League. The outcome turned out a thousand times better, and their mental strength contributed massively to that. 

2 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

No way Leicester don’t get stomped by Liverpool (hoping I’m wrong)

Leicester haven't had the fight put back in them like Leeds have, they'll get bent over imo. 

Just now, Elric said:

Leicester haven't had the fight put back in them like Leeds have, they'll get bent over imo. 

I agree, unfortunately. Most of their top players will benefit from relegation.

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

Let's not forget, Leeds are "fighting for their lives" because they have been largely shit for 30+ games this season. We can't use that as any sort of excuse or justification for a poor performance and we have to play considerably better against Brighton.

We'll see how Liverpool handle a team fighting for their lives on Monday night...

The same Liverpool who got beat off Bournemouth who were fighting for their lives?

19 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

There are a few on here that need to chill the fuck out. You don't automatically win every game. There's a middle ground and it's often called a draw.

We were sloppy but it was always going to be a frantic, full-throttle game. Disappointing not to win, not much Trippier could do tbh, take the draw and move on.

Expectations have gone through the roof already, I don’t want to be around here if we ever actually start winning things :lol:

Good point. 1-0 down facing a penalty you grab it. Especially when you hardly work the GK all game.

Elland Road. Team fighting for their lives. New manager’s first home game. Us coming off a bit of a deflating result at home.

Take it as you don’t want to be needing it at Stamford Bridge last game.

Two home games in a row. In our hands. I’ll take it. 

HTL

16 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

E.g. straight after my post^

"a miracle" is getting 6 points from three games. A certainty? No. A miracle? 6 points from three games. A miracle. :lol: :lol: 

Howay man. Have a word some of yous :lol:

Remembering all the 10s on the relegationometer last season

Absolutely. Taking knee-jerk reactions to another level here. 

Four points and better GD ahead of Liverpool with 3 games to go (two of which are at home) and we need a miracle...

Edited by Ridman