Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

Has anyone else noticed how bad we are at corners lately? I took matters into my own hands to investigate. Last 19 games (since quartefinal vs Leicester at 10th of jan):

Corners for: 127

Goals: 1 (Southamptons own goal at 30th of april making it 2-1 for us)

(There is an argument for the 1-0 goal vs West Ham at 5th of april, as the final cross came after a corner. It was still well after.)

Corners against: 57

Goals against: 5

West Ham, feb 4th (1-1 goal)

Bounemouth, feb 10th (0-1 goal)

West Ham, april 5th (1-1 goal)

Everton, april 27th (3-1 goal)

Leeds, may 13th (2-2 goal) (indirect)

This results in a 0,79% succsessrate for us (1 in 127), while conceding in 8,77% of the corners against us (5 in 57). This means that in our last 19 games the corners against have been 11 times more lethal than our own corners..

15 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Has anyone else noticed how bad we are at corners lately? I took matters into my own hands to investigate. Last 19 games (since quartefinal vs Leicester at 10th of jan):

Corners for: 127

Goals: 1 (Southamptons own goal at 30th of april making it 2-1 for us)

(There is an argument for the 1-0 goal vs West Ham at 5th of april, as the final cross came after a corner. It was still well after.)

Corners against: 57

Goals against: 5

West Ham, feb 4th (1-1 goal)

Bounemouth, feb 10th (0-1 goal)

West Ham, april 5th (1-1 goal)

Everton, april 27th (3-1 goal)

Leeds, may 13th (2-2 goal) (indirect)

This results in a 0,79% succsessrate for us (1 in 127), while conceding in 8,77% of the corners against us (5 in 57). This means that in our last 19 games the corners against have been 11 times more lethal than our own corners..

the man utd goal (wilson) was almost as good as a corner but I think they'd taken off their CBs

For a team thats got botman, burn, schar, joelinton, that record is horrendous. But I suppose the likes of shearer, ferdinand and speed proved its not all about height, all a bit shy of 6 foot and absolutely lethal in the air

Result is still irking me now even though I know it was a valuable point.

I thought  we looked poor today and created very little in the way of goal scoring opportunities. Isak discussion has seemingly been done to death and I agree, he's wasted from the start out wide.

Set piece routines need serious consideration on the training ground as we seem to spaff nearly every single one, sometimes even leading to counters like trippiers today ffs[emoji38]

I'll begrudgingly take the point, and pray the lads can really put their focus into getting this tied up on our own steam, and not look for handouts.

HWTL!

12 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

the man utd goal (wilson) was almost as good as a corner but I think they'd taken off their CBs

For a team thats got botman, burn, schar, joelinton, that record is horrendous. But I suppose the likes of shearer, ferdinand and speed proved its not all about height, all a bit shy of 6 foot and absolutely lethal in the air

Yeah, our CBs hasn't scored a single goal from corner all season. We are the team with the most corners earned. I hope they are working on this, because it's not just the inability to score, but also we've started to concede corners in 2023. Trippier is great, but do you guys think he has any responsibility? Not that we have better corner takers in the team.. I've just noticed that a lot of the corners are going straight into the first defenders, but maybe that's just me.

Also need to add that we did score some corners before these 19 games, it has just been really poor in 2023.

Edited by Erikse

43 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

All of them are terrible in the air - certainly attacking-wise, and I usually find there are a lot of heart-in-mouth moments defensively.

A mate texted me saying that’s one clean sheet in 17 games.  Can’t be arsed to check, but that abysmal for any side in any division if true.  The entire back line looks wobbly to me - Burn takes most of the flak from what I’ve seen (Trippier’s performances have also started to be criticised), but Botman and Schar haven’t exactly looked great for some time either. 

37 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Yeah, our CBs hasn't scored a single goal from corner all season. We are the team with the most corners earned. I hope they are working on this, because it's not just the inability to score, but also we've started to concede corners in 2023. Trippier is great, but do you guys think he has any responsibility? Not that we have better corner takers in the team.. I've just noticed that a lot of the corners are going straight into the first defenders, but maybe that's just me.

Also need to add that we did score some corners before these 19 games, it has just been really poor in 2023.

While I think Trippier’s balls in haven’t been the greatest, he does usually at least get it ‘in the mixer’ - he rarely hits first man.  I honestly don’t know why we put up Burn, Botman and Schar - we always look more likely to concede from a counter attack than score ourselves.  

Absolute emotional roller coaster of a game. 

Head in hands when Bamford is standing to take the 2nd Pen. 

Jumping up and down when Maxi scores before the disappointment of seeing the offside call. 

Frothing at the mouth at the amount of needless fouls and poor free kicks we had. 

Not the worst result but obviously not the best. I felt it was either this game or Brighton that we would drop points so pressure ramped up now. 

Everton result against Brighton just goes you really can't predict anything, just need hope and belief that we can do it. 

Think Villa can get something at Anfield and if not, we can get a win at Chelsea. 

It's still on! 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All of them are terrible in the air - certainly attacking-wise, and I usually find there are a lot of heart-in-mouth moments defensively.

A mate texted me saying that’s one clean sheet in 17 games.  Can’t be arsed to check, but that abysmal for any side in any division if true.  The entire back line looks wobbly to me - Burn takes most of the flak from what I’ve seen (Trippier’s performances have also started to be criticised), but Botman and Schar haven’t exactly looked great for some time either. 

1 clean sheet from the last 15 in the league. If you count the EFL cup then it's probably 1 in 17. We don't concede a ton of chances, but as you say whenever the opponents are getting chances I'm allways anxious.. Good thing we're scoring a lot.

I think the most concerning thing was the lack of chances we created today. Robles barely had a save to make, think only the low Schar shot was all he had to do all game and that's disappointing. They made it difficult, dropped back and covered space but it worked for them. They'll be thinking 2 daft mistakes to concede 2 avoidable pens but pretty tight other than that. We never opened them up, got in behind them or hurt them all game. We might well look back on this point as the one that takes us over the line in 15 days time  

6 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

There was two games to go, 5th or CL had not been confirmed.

The fans that were disappointed were right to be because missing out on the CL (through stupid decisions - Lua-Lua, playing Arsenal 46hours after a CL game for TV money, only signing Bowyer) caused a massive decline at the club. It wasn't just finishing 5th, it was with Abramovich on the scene squandering our seat at the top table.

I dunno if there was 5000 there, I left, but I was one of the 35,000 that stayed behind after the horrible 00/01 so I don't how that gets squared.

It was disappointing to be going into the last two games unlikely to make CL having blown a lead and Shearer missed a pen. Bad decisions had been made off the pitch but there was no wider protest that day, our team and management were booed off for ending the season disappointingly - the league, and the UEFA semi defeat. There was a decline from the previous two years, but not a massive one, we've since seen what a massive decline is.

I thought our fans were an absolute embarrassment that day. Laurent Robert was also loudly booed off the pitch. Bobby rightly called our fanbase out. That day always sticks in the memory of how fickle and petulant our fans can be when people talk our fanbase up - and I've thought about it repeatedly as we see ourselves on the rise again. Thankfully we at least got to give the team a good send off on the final day at Anfield, including Gary Speed's last game in the shirt.

Edited by Superior Acuña

The massive decline was as a result of finishing 5th not to finishing 5th. It caused everything that followed that lead to that decline. Which was even bigger than feared at the time. Its understandably hard to have a good attitude in such circumstanes and go 'oh well'.  It wasn't a commentary on 'only finishing 5th' so much as on the complete fuck up that was likely to be critical to the club.

The half that didn't boo Robert off booed Viana on in response,

15 minutes ago, Bizza said:

Good, now figure out how the fuck he was able to stroll straight into our technical area. 

Of all the managers to go and push.

What on Earth was that guy doing man. Should be put straight into a mental hospital.

Finally watched motd without finding out the score all day. Reading through game thread. I was expecting a dog shit performance.

Thought Leeds were life and death fighting. We just didn’t have that mentality.

Bruno is lucky he can still play football. If that non red tackle had connected. His leg would of snapped to bits man.

Review should ban him surely.

I think Liverpool may buckle Monday and 3 points for us will do it.

3 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Don’t want to sound like Klopp but how slow was the pitch? Felt like our passes were getting stuck and making everything very stodgy

Looked shocking when there were closeups of it. Left to grow longer and not really watered, it seemed?

2 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Don’t want to sound like Klopp but how slow was the pitch? Felt like our passes were getting stuck and making everything very stodgy

Exceptionally.

Passes stopping dead and it was sucking all the zip out of balls.

Think Allardyce also used to make the pitch size as small as possible, so pretty sure he purposely had the grass grow longer. Such a revolutionary manager. 

Would go some way to explaining the lack of correct pace on passes and such. There was also a few occasions where our players were running with it and clearly knocking it too heavily in front of them (potentially over-compensating if the pitch was slow), reducing control and allowing Leeds players to attempt a tackle. 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Think Allardyce also used to make the pitch size as small as possible, so pretty sure he purposely had the grass grow longer. Such a revolutionary manager. 

If it really was deliberate then I'm not sure we've a right to sneer given its effect on our performance. :lol: