Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

In the last month, Brighton have looked amazing at times and they've also got well beaten by Forest and battered by Everton. We know what they're capable of but none of us have any idea which Brighton will turn up on Thursday. Let's think positive!

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I think they are a better team than us overall if you don’t count Isak/Wilson. 

Not sure if ‘better’ or just a more pleasing style. I certainly prefer the passing football they play, and they make it look really good at times. 

At the moment I make them favourites for this. 

I posted this is a different thread a few days ago but it’s an interesting watch, it shows how Brightons tactic is to sit back and pass it around to encourage the opposition to close them down so they can find space to attack.

Everton didn’t press and instead waited for Brighton to come out and then broke with pace.

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I think they are a better team than us overall if you don’t count Isak/Wilson. 

If both sides are at their best we are better imo. Better goalkeeper and defenders, and much, much better strikers. 

I've never thought we'd beat them - had it down for a draw months back doing the predictions.

Our qualifying for the CL may well rest on beating these and people got chewed out for being unsure whether we'd make it!?

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Watching them today this is a nasty matchup for us, a team that likes to press high against a side who thrives on playing through that. I hope we have some tactical tweaks and tricks up our sleeves

Aye that’s my thoughts too. Arsenal are ideal opponents for Brighton and we could be too if we play a high line and press them. 

The fact Everton and Forest have beaten Brighton recently gives me some hope. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Who you expecting 

Either Miggy or Murphy on the right. Either Maxi, Isak or Gordon on the left.

Personally I'd he tempted to go 4231 with Isak as a 10, Murphy right, Gordon left. Gordon purely for work  rate. Anderson might even be a shout. Just can't see us going with either Miggy or Murphy on the left 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Aye that’s my thoughts too. Arsenal are ideal opponents for Brighton and we could be too if we play a high line and press them. 

The fact Everton and Forest have beaten Brighton recently gives me some hope. 

Most of the season, i've wanted us to play the way that has got us where we are, to not overreact to losing (like after Villa). This game is a one-off, we can't play exactly the same way. Brighton already murdered us once this season and we have Pope to thank for the 0-0.

Just now, madras said:

Personally I'd he tempted to go 4231 with Isak as a 10, Murphy right, Gordon left. Gordon purely for work  rate. Anderson might even be a shout. Just can't see us going with either Miggy or Murphy on the left 

Edit that, can't leave Willock out. Willock narrow left maybe.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Gordon’s work rate has been non existent tbh, no way he starts imo. Can’t see Maxi simply because our fullbacks need as much protection as possible and he won’t provide it.