Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Wee bit more nervous about this after there performance today, can't be starting both Wilson and isak, would probs start the latter and bring Wilson on as the game progresses, would deffo play Targett instead of Burn  and I would start Murphy aswell, any word on Longstaff being fit for this ?

Would hope to see Targett in for this.

Think we'll see Wilson on the bench. We won't want to start him on a Thursday with a game coming the following Monday and the Isak on the left approach hasn't paid off, better off having the option of one of them from the bench.

Ideal scenario is Longstaff back and we can go Joelinton LW.

If not, Maxi to start LW if he has 60 minutes in him.

If neither Longstaff or ASM can start, I'd seriously consider Anderson in CM with Joelinton LW. Maybe he'll give Gordon another chance at LW but I'd be surprised.

Christ, gonna be fucking terrifying this :lol:

I know they were brilliant in patches today, but they also gave the ball away in their defensive 3rd quite a lot. I'm all for pressing the hell out of them, because if they do that and we work it to Isak or Wilson it's quite likely we score. 

8 minutes ago, M1tche said:

I know they were brilliant in patches today, but they also gave the ball away in their defensive 3rd quite a lot. I'm all for pressing the hell out of them, because if they do that and we work it to Isak or Wilson it's quite likely we score. 

I don't have any doubt we'll score,I don't think that's our biggest issue right now.  We should've had a couple against Aresnal ourselves really.

Its defensively where we look a bit awkward, especially in transition and we seem to give the ball away so much more in midfield these last 2/3 games.

Brighton doing the double on those teams is some feat. I’m still convinced that whatever it is, that the traditional big clubs do raise their game against us. While Brighton fully deserved that win today, some fortuitous bounces came their way in goals 1 and 2. 

Let’s just take it that Liverpool will win their remaining games. I think we can take points in all our remaining ones minimum but will that be enough? Brighton are in a good spot but we’re not far off.

I just fear we’ve had a good run and might be going off the boil at the wrong time.

Need some big performances from those who are fit to play.

Joelinton has to go back to the wing.. Isak to the middle and at this point in season I’d be happier to start Murphy on right midfield if Longstaff is still out. He’d have the legs to cover for Bruno at least. And Miggy could play wing and let them switch when they want.

13 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Let’s just take it that Liverpool will win their remaining games. I think we can take points in all our remaining ones minimum but will that be enough? Brighton are in a good spot but we’re not far off.

I just fear we’ve had a good run and might be going off the boil at the wrong time.

Need some big performances from those who are fit to play.

Joelinton has to go back to the wing.. Isak to the middle and at this point in season I’d be happier to start Murphy on right midfield if Longstaff is still out. He’d have the legs to cover for Bruno at least. And Miggy could play wing and let them switch when they want.

I agree that Joelinton has to go back on the left but then we don't have Longstaff to go in the middle. 

Willock
Bruno

Joelinton

Murphy

Isak

ASM 

is what I'd go with but then it's like, super harsh to drop Wilson who's on such great form. Either way, I don't want to see Wilson and Isak starting at the same time. It's unbalanced and a waste of both of their talents.

5 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I don't have any doubt we'll score,I don't think that's our biggest issue right now.  We should've had a couple against Aresnal ourselves really.

Its defensively where we look a bit awkward, especially in transition and we seem to give the ball away so much more in midfield these last 2/3 games.

This is my concern as well. From an attacking perspective we look much better than we did a year ago, but defensively we look more vulnerable, especially since we lost the midfield reinforcement Longstaff provides. We had Wilson and Isak up front against a poor Leeds side, but couldn't muster a decent effort on goal other than the pens which were handed to us. The service wasn't good enough. I realise it should be easier against Brighton as they will play more openly, but that also provides more danger to our backline if we get caught pushing up without the end product.

I think it's one of most difficult hurdles for a decent team transitioning to a very good team to be able to attack effectively without overcommitting numbers. To be good offensively, without being leaky defensively. Newcastle seemed to have had the knack for that particular evolution for periods of the season, but it hasn't been seen in a while now.

Even games we've won, you've seen some pretty easy gilt-edged chances come about for the opposition, without too much hard work on their part. Even when we shred Spurs to ribbons.

I'd play conservatively first half, and bring on ASM after half time to hit them on the break. Hope the crowd don't get too impatient as I think the best realistic outcome involves the game being a tight one for long stretches, and Newcastle being out of possession.

Scoring first is likely to be key. Brighton trying to break down a defence and Brighton sitting on a lead and hitting on the break are very different propositions. Their 5-1 defeat to Everton and 3-0 win at Arsenal showed that. Arsenal were unlucky not to be ahead at half-time, but once Brighton took the lead it was all over. 

I know this is something that can be said for most teams and most matches, but once they were ahead, Brighton were very good at stifling Arsenal all over the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Playing these while out of form isn’t good.  Brighton could easily replicate their Arsenal performance against us. 

We could replicate our performance against Tottenham. 

Good game this isn’t it. 

What can often happen with teams punching above their weight - like us, Brighton, Villa etc - is after massive result like that the follow up one is absolutely shit. We’ve done it a couple of times this season in games we’ve expected to make easy work of. I’m sure Brighton after beating Arsenal will think they can come up here and do the same and it could work against them. 

We’ve made a habit of bouncing back this season too and I think we’ll finish strong. 

2 minutes ago, St1pe said:

What can often happen with teams punching above their weight - like us, Brighton, Villa etc - is after massive result like that the follow up one is absolutely shit. We’ve done it a couple of times this season in games we’ve expected to make easy work of. I’m sure Brighton after beating Arsenal will think they can come up here and do the same and it could work against them. 

We’ve made a habit of bouncing back this season too and I think we’ll finish strong. 

Yeah, for example Brighton beat Man Utd, then lost 5-1 to Everton.

A case of after the Lord Mayors show, is what they call it.

8 hours ago, Kanji said:

Brighton doing the double on those teams is some feat. I’m still convinced that whatever it is, that the traditional big clubs do raise their game against us. While Brighton fully deserved that win today, some fortuitous bounces came their way in goals 1 and 2. 

Some of them are cup wins I believe, though still impressive.

Since De Zebri came in their record against top half sides has been...

Arsenal 0-3 Brighton 

Brighton 1-0 Man United 

Spurs 2-1 Brighton 

Brighton 3-3 Brentford

Brighton 0-1 Fulham 

Brighton 3-0 Liverpool

Brighton 2-4 Arsenal

Brighton 1-2 Villa

Man City 3-1 Brighton 

Brentford 2-0 Brighton 

Brighton 0-1 Spurs 

Liverpool 3-3 Brighton

These are the games to be excited about. A great match-up against a very good side.  Absolutely expecting a performance like we’ve shown against other top teams (Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal) at home; hoping for a result like achieved against the Manchesters.