Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 minute ago, andyc35i said:

I accept the point. Do we actually know if he bet on games with his involvement though? A 10 game ban would seem more than enough to me for a first offence 

Even if a footballer is betting on games not involving his own team, he may well be aware of inside information from a friend in another camp. 

It calls the whole integrity of the sport into question (that's assuming football has any integrity left) :lol:

6 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I accept the point. Do we actually know if he bet on games with his involvement though? A 10 game ban would seem more than enough to me for a first offence 

We don't know what he's specifically bet on as there are conflicting reports out there but I would suspect a 10 month ban means he has bet on football, which is a massive no go

It's shit for us but he deserves the punishment

I'm just glad he's seemingly allowed to train, that would be too much of a punishment imo and counter productive 

25 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

What an idiot. 

I hope to god we're not paying him a penny during this period, and look at all legal routes with Milan, who surely must have known something?

And then he loses motivation, and therefore will also lose most of his value?[emoji38] Even from an economical standpoint, this is not a good idea.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Doops said:

We just have to look at this like a season ending injury and move on.

That's been my mindset with it. I was annoyed that we're taking the hit in terms of losing a quality player, but then Milan have lost him anyways. Glad he can train and play in friendlies though, no doubt he'll be raring to go next year and be a key part of our success.

31 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: Immediately gave me horrifying images of Donald Trump involved in the proceedings. Sandro was the biggest collaborator. The best.

I walked in, I saw him, I said "wow, this guy collaborates"

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Suspending payments to Milan makes a lot more sense.

We also might be paying him less if his contract is written with any form of "match payments" plus any bonuses will be out the window.

That could get us a transfer ban so no thanks.

Considering that he was betting on his own games I originally expected that he'd be lucky to get away with a 2 year ban.

10 months with him still being able to train is exceptionally light punishment.

Just now, madras said:

Have we any proof ?

We will spend plenty of money finding evidence that Milan knew prior to the transfer about his betting habits. 

I'm not saying they did but IF they did, we will find out, any compensation is worth millions.

This isn't selling used cars, if they had prior knowledge, a judge could rule that they mis-sold him.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I think this could be the making of him. Assuming he gets himself sorted out and gets the help he needs for his addiction, he will have seen this club support him and care for him during a difficult time. He will have had plenty of time to adjust to his new surroundings and learn the language, etc. If he is the player I think he is, this will be a massive motivation to return better, fitter, stronger than before. And if we care for him the way we have so far, he's going to care for us in a way few modern players could...

48 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Returns 24th August so likely to miss first 2/3 games 

I guess it makes his ban effectively 7 month.  From now until our last competitive game.  

He can have a normal pre season with training and friendlies then as you say misses the first couple games. 

13 hours ago, 500bhp said:

Agreed on Big Joe, but never been that convinced on Tonali except first 20 mins v Villa. Ashworth has said we cant afford to get any of our big money signings wrong and so far we've been spot on. But for £55m we could have done better. That's my view even before the betting situation. Every time he plays the balance of the midfeld changes for the worse. He's clearly a very good player just not right for our style or team. 

Have you thought about applying for a job scouting for the toon

Clearly have a better eye than Howe

You will be glad he’s banned 

I hope he gets full control over this and uses the time to better himself in every way. He's all but finished if he cannot get a hold of this addiction, hopefully that and seeing the club and fans stand by him, as well as his own personal aspirations, are enough to put this fully to bed and come back with a clean slate.