Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Was a moment about 10 mins in when he came over to take to Howe, seemed to change the press slightly after that. No idea what was said, but having someone who recognises these little things certainly helps. 

He's getting there. All I keep thinking is if it took Gordon six months to get to the level he's at now it's going to take Tonali atleast that same amount of time (if not more) to get some consistency.

He does suit this team very well as proven by that first half. It's the little things that need tweaking with him.

Heard a couple of grumbles in my (otherwise fantastic) vicinity and couldn't get with it. Dude worked his fucking ballsack raw and you can't ask for much more in the role he played tonight. Kept nicking the ball and while it didn't always result in a lot it was another full-blooded effort where you could see what he was trying to do. 

7 minutes ago, Donut said:

Watch the 2nd goal again. His quick thinking sets up Guimaraes for a cross after his attempt was saved. Excellent.

Also compare him and Bruno to the PSG players. There's about five of them just not giving a fuck, while our lads are busting a gut to score.

Fucking loved seeing him and Eddie having a proper long conversation in the break when Isak was down. His English is obviously improving and he's learning his role in this team - showed tonight too, played brilliantly. Bursting forward constantly 

Edited by LiquidAK

He was outstanding imho. He played basically the Sean role on the left where he did all the dirty work and got up field when possible. Imagine a year under Howe man. He’s going to dominate people. 

Best game for us.  Better and more important for us last night than Villa.  As strange as that is to say after having a hand in two goals that day.  

He seemed far tidier on the ball than his last few games, he was probably our best midfielder off the ball in the hour or so he was on and he looked fast last night, I thought?  I mean he's hardly road runner, but when he's chasing back or bombing forward.  He looks noticeably quicker than our other CM options.  Bar Willock, of course. 

Sometimes this season I've looked at our out of possession 4-5-1 shape with a flat midfield and thought it's super weird. We concede a load of space between defence and midfield for teams to operate in and it was exposed by Brighton and Man City especially. Last night we did the same, but Tonali, Bruno and Longstaff were each incredible at getting back behind the ball and recovering when it did get through them. I can kind of see how it's supposed to work now and it's basically just fucking running :lol:. Tonali was a key part of it. 

The most significant thing I saw Tonali do?....

He was barking orders to teammates. Its massively significant that he now feels settled enough to do that IMO. That's the player we signed.

I'm sure it's a language + settling thing. Easy to forget that he's a "new boy".

5 minutes ago, STM said:

The most significant thing I saw Tonali do?....

He was barking orders to teammates. Its massively significant that he now feels settled enough to do that IMO. That's the player we signed.

I'm sure it's a language + settling thing. Easy to forget that he's a "new boy".

Noticed this too, seemed a lot more assertive. Think as he's finding his feet this will only improve. Loved the glimpse of his tactical convo with Howe on the sidelines during Isak's injury break too.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

He did really well to recycle the ball for our second goal.

Not just that but after he passes it he does a little block on the man who was trying to get to Bruno. Basically gave Bruno an extra half second to get his head up and pick out Burn. Fantastic.

Edited by NSG

He was made for nights like last night, and it was clear as day from minute 1. He’s not the flash and silk of Bruno but he’s very much a hybrid of him, Longie and Joelinton in that role yesterday. He breaks up play, ball retention, he’s tactically switched on, and he’s up and down the pitch. Outstanding. 

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He was made for nights like last night, and it was clear as day from minute 1. He’s not the flash and silk of Bruno but he’s very much a hybrid of him, Longie and Joelinton in that role yesterday. He breaks up play, ball retention, he’s tactically switched on, and he’s up and down the pitch. Outstanding. 

Tidier on the ball than Joe & Longstaff too which is crucial at this level.

Although stats suggest otherwise.

Edited by The College Dropout