Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

14 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's not like the Italian FA would give him a heads up that they are investigating him, or have I missed something? If he's completely oblivious that there's an ongoing case, why would he stop doing what he's doing?

If the English FA punishes him 10 months or less, which ends up extending his current ban, his ban from the Italian FA should not have been valid for club football in the UK, only Italian club football and international duty.

It’s FIFA who issue the ban - it’s the national FA who investigate and deliver the ‘sentence’

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s FIFA who issue the ban - it’s the national FA who investigate and deliver the ‘sentence’

Ah right, gotcha :thup: but doesn't that mean that whether he would get a longer sentence (additional time over the current period left to serve or start from 0 once current ban is over) is up to Fifa then, not the FA, meaning bigger likelihood of no additional time, unless bets has been placed after Tonali was notified of the completed investigation by the Italian FA?

Just now, Conjo said:

Ah right, gotcha :thup: but doesn't that mean that whether he would get a longer sentence (additional time over the current period left to serve or start from 0 once current ban is over) is up to Fifa then, not the FA, meaning bigger likelihood of no additional time, unless bets has been placed after Tonali was notified of the completed investigation by the Italian FA?

Honestly, I reckon it would be fantastically harsh to punish him for further betting unless he’s bet on NUFC games.  If he’s done that, then an extension to his ban seems absolutely reasonable to me.  The FA will investigate and punish if necessary (including suspension length) - that ban becomes worldwide under FIFA.  

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, I reckon it would be fantastically harsh to punish him for further betting unless he’s bet on NUFC games.  If he’s done that, then an extension to his ban seems absolutely reasonable to me.  The FA will investigate and punish if necessary (including suspension length) - that ban becomes worldwide under FIFA.  

Waiting a year to charge him would be ludicrous, any other organisation would do the investigation and run any ban in parallel. Seems vindictive if not.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If he’s placed bets after joining Newcastle, then he hasn’t done his time.  It’s a separate offence - one for which he’d be banned again.  Hard to sympathise; it would be his own fault entirely. 

If his ban hadn't prevented him from playing in the Premier League and just in Italy then maybe you would have a point.  But it did and it has - regardless of where / when he committed the offence Tonali has been punished and is currently serving his ban.  End of as far as I am concerned.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

If his ban hadn't prevented him from playing in the Premier League and just in Italy then maybe you would have a point.  But it did and it has - regardless of where / when he committed the offence Tonali has been punished and is currently serving his ban.  End of as far as I am concerned.

We’re talking about offences which took place after the ones for which he was charged.  The country he’s playing in has no relevance.  So he could still be charged and punished further.  

3 minutes ago, duo said:

Eh?  So when he's serving a ban he can do whatever he wants because of his current ban?  

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It hasn’t been a year, though

I mean the PL investigation and subsequent U.K. ban when the Italian ban ends. If they don’t synch then there’s something ridiculously punitive about that.

3 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I mean the PL investigation and subsequent U.K. ban when the Italian ban ends. If they don’t synch then there’s something ridiculously punitive about that.

The way betting offences are investigated is completely different by countries.  Reason Italian FA is really quick is they've had scandals for decades with this stuff.

Toney's ban took far to long to sort out but I think he was fortunate with his ban in the end.

Edited by El Prontonise

*Since he was in England

Obviously offences after the ban could be looked at by the FA. Like if he's still gambling now. Anything he was doing before being caught should be covered by a 10 month ban though. There's no logic to completely ruining his career unless he was match fixing.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

It would effectively be a worldwide extension of the ban for offences which weren’t known or took place after the ones for which he was charged, which occurred outside the jurisdiction of the country in which he committed the original offences.

You’re talking about concurrency for new offences - and bear in mind his punishment was actually reduced from the maximum as he ‘fessed up’.  He hadn’t ’fessed up’ to these potential additional charges.

If this wasn’t an NUFC player, I do doubt whether or not people would be quite as moved by Tonali’s ‘plight’

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It would effectively be a worldwide extension of the ban for offences which weren’t known or took place after the ones for which he was charged, which occurred outside the jurisdiction of the country in which he committed the original offences.

You’re talking about concurrency for new offences - and bear in mind his punishment was actually reduced from the maximum as he ‘fessed up’.  He hadn’t ’fessed up’ to these potential additional charges.

If this wasn’t an NUFC player, I do doubt whether or not people would be quite as moved by Tonali’s ‘plight’

I don’t know, we had a light show and WWE entrance for Toney plus plenty of sympathy for a guy banned for that long playing with a Hollywood Bets logo plastered on his kit.

8 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

No, you're missing @TheBrownBottle's point.  Any new bets made since he started his ban are new offences under English FA since he's registered here.

I don't think that is his point. TheBrownAle is saying any offences committed in the UK before his ban should be looked at separately. At least that is how I interpreted his comment.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

*Since he was in England

Obviously offences after the ban could be looked at by the FA. Like if he's still gambling now. Anything he was doing before being caught should be covered by a 10 month ban though. There's no logic to completely ruining his career unless he was match fixing.

This ^

I really do think that it would be harsh for additional months to be added if he was betting on football (though if he was punished for it, I also don’t think he could have too much of a complaint).  But if he’s bet on any NUFC games, then I think he’ll get a (deserved) extension of his ban.

So fingers crossed that he hasn’t done that.  Personally, I’d be fucking furious if he’s been betting on our matches.

Just now, duo said:

I don't think that is his point. TheBrownAle is saying any offences committed in the UK before his ban should be looked at separately. At least that is how I interpreted his comment.

You’re right - it’s both.  They would effectively be new charges, as he was only charged with what he did in Italy. 

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

I don’t know, we had a light show and WWE entrance for Toney plus plenty of sympathy for a guy banned for that long playing with a Hollywood Bets logo plastered on his kit.

Of course :) - but did any other club’s supporters have much sympathy for Toney?  I didn’t notice much.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

So fingers crossed that he hasn’t done that.  Personally, I’d be fucking furious if he’s been betting on our matches.

Understandable but if it was before it became public knowledge about the Italy side could it be bundled into the addiction, plea bargain etc. If he’s done it since then unforgivable.

The FA will charge him if he has bet on football matches in the time between joining us and his ban, presuming he stopped at that point.

You would expect them to be sympathetic at the point of dishing out a punishment, much like they did with Toffolo at Forest.

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The FA will charge him if he has bet on football matches in the time between joining us and his ban, presuming he stopped at that point.

You would expect them to be sympathetic at the point of dishing out a punishment, much like they did with Toffolo at Forest.

Yeah, this it.  Hopefully Tonali stopped after the ban.  It really would be harsh to extend the ban further if he was just betting on football matches generally during that period (and not NUFC). 

2 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

No, you're missing @TheBrownBottle's point.  Any new bets made since he started his ban are new offences under English FA since he's registered here.

Sure one of my first posts on here was that it's incredibly naive to think he suddenly stopped gambling the day he left Italy. Still think it would be shit to hit him again mind, if they were going to do anything you would hope it was when this all came about