NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Signing someone to be an upgrade on Burn rather than a proper out and out back would be interesting and frankly a bit of a surprise to me.

Not necessarily against the idea of having a LB who becomes more of a third CB when we're in possession, just don't expect that to be the route we go.

The beauty of born has always been his adaptability. You can switch to a three in possession to stretch the pitch, move him centrally if there's an injury, or just play him as a fullback that will take the ball and try to get forward. He doesn't excel in attack, but he's willing to get forward and overlap.

3 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

The idea of Burn going up against the type of quality right wings we are going to see in Champions League is a bit scary.  Seems to have good closing speed w/ those long legs when he gets beat though.

The right wingers he's going up against in Champions League are likely to be worse than the ones he has shut down in the league last season tbh.

Edited by Pata

18 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

The idea of Burn going up against the type of quality right wings we are going to see in Champions League is a bit scary.  Seems to have good closing speed w/ those long legs when he gets beat though.

He’s helped shut down some of the best wingers in the PL last season tbf.

3 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I think we have written off Hendricks wages along with others in the last set of accounts.

A staggering £14.2m was also added into that pot covering “onerous employment contracts”, which essentially means writing off the wages of players who are no longer considered part of the first-team squad. That is likely to include Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark and Dwight Gayle.

https://theathletic.com/4375304/2023/04/05/newcastle-united-accounts-explained/?access_token=11519933&redirected=1

he doesn’t get paid earlier though, wages are still paid until the end of the contract

14 minutes ago, Smal said:

He’s helped shut down some of the best wingers in the PL last season tbf.

Aye. He might get rinsed off the very best, but if you can cut it in the PL across a full season you can cut it in the CL for the most part. A good chunk of the teams in CL wouldn't even finish top 7 in our league. 

we need an upgrade from an attacking perspective but I wouldn't be that worried about him defensively. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Aye. He might get rinsed off the very best, but if you can cut it in the PL across a full season you can cut it in the CL for the most part. A good chunk of the teams in CL wouldn't even finish top 7 in our league. 

we need an upgrade from an attacking perspective but I wouldn't be that worried about him defensively. 

yeah, given how little pace he does have it was remarkable that it was very rarely actually exposed, which is a testament to how good a defender he is really. 

The main thing he struggles with is his passing. It's fine for a centre back but not left back where you have significantly fewer passing options and need to be better. 

7 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

It's not just Man City though. Arsenal have two (Jesus and Nketiah), Man United only really had Weghorst this season with Rashford who can also play through the muddle. Spurs only have Kane/Richarlison and Son who is more versatile.

Very few clubs have more than two out and out centre forwards in this day and age. In fact even keeping two happy can be hard (look at the difficulties Arsenal had with Nketiah's contract for example). Teams have other players who can also play through the middle when needed.

We need a long term replacement for Wilson IMO, not just any kid to fill a squad place who won't get game time. 

Balogun. 

48 minutes ago, OCK said:

Dan Burn keeping Saka in check for two games is the kind of thing that makes me question reality. 

I missed the SJP game but Saka rinsed him for 20 minutes straight at the emirates. Burn needed cover from both Joe’s to keep Saka just about under wraps.  In no planet did Burn keep Saka in check that game 

Any top quality attacker should (every now and again) get the better of a full-back regardless of how good that full-back is. We’ve seen Shearer absolutely smash some of the best Centre-back’s in our game, does that mean the likes of Terry getting rinsed every now and again mean Chelsea should have got rid for a much better centre-back?

Of course our own Dan Burn is not of that level and ideally we’d have a top-class LB, but talk of selling him is madness, replace in the first-team yes, but not just get shot of him. He’s a very solid defender, even out of position at LB and is integral behind the scenes off the pitch in terms of what he brings to the squad.

He does get forward, but isn’t a smooth footballer or particularly quick which makes him stand out like a sore thumb. It doesn’t help that when he does get forward beyond whoever is playing on the left, that player rarely makes use of him or the space he’s taken an opposition player away from. 

I will add, I’m not exactly keen on having a CB play LB just because he’s tall and left footed so as to give us extra defensive solidity back there based on that. We can have a LB who is also a good defender as well as being a good attacker who isn’t a giant.

Trippier for me isn’t particularly great at defending and he’s small, but he reads the game so well and he sniffs out danger and has a great leap on him for his height too so that helps negate any defensive weakness in his game. We all know how good he is on the ball and getting forward.

I’d like us to sign Walker-Peters for LB who can also play RB and wouldn’t cost the earth. The more pressing need in terms of defensive reinforcements, however, is a quick, mobile, ball playing CB to cover for Schar and eventually replace him.

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I missed the SJP game but Saka rinsed him for 20 minutes straight at the emirates. Burn needed cover from both Joe’s to keep Saka just about under wraps.  In no planet did Burn keep Saka in check that game 

He was part of a defence that did keep a clean sheet there…

And isn’t that what team-work is about, everyone helping each other out when one of the players is being overran or beaten by someone who holds all the aces which Saka did that game and still would mostly in a 1v1 even against someone infinitely better than Burn.

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Was going to say the same - Saka would have run riot if we left Burn alone in that game. Somehow the opinion in this thread ranges from selling Burn to him shutting down every RW he's played against.

11 minutes ago, Tiburon said:

Any top quality attacker should (every now and again) get the better of a full-back regardless of how good that full-back is. We’ve seen Shearer absolutely smash some of the best Centre-back’s in our game, does that mean the likes of Terry getting rinsed every now and again mean Chelsea should have got rid for a much better centre-back?

Of course our own Dan Burn is not of that level and ideally we’d have a top-class LB, but talk of selling him is madness, replace in the first-team yes, but not just get shot of him. He’s a very solid defender, even out of position at LB and is integral behind the scenes off the pitch in terms of what he brings to the squad.

He does get forward, but isn’t a smooth footballer or particularly quick which makes him stand out like a sore thumb. It doesn’t help that when he does get forward beyond whoever is playing on the left, that player rarely makes use of him or the space he’s taken an opposition player away from. 

I will add, I’m not exactly keen on having a CB play LB just because he’s tall and left footed so as to give us extra defensive solidity back there based on that. We can have a LB who is also a good defender as well as being a good attacker who isn’t a giant.

Trippier for me isn’t particularly great at defending and he’s small, but he reads the game so well and he sniffs out danger and has a great leap on him for his height too so that helps negate any defensive weakness in his game. We all know how good he is on the ball and getting forward.

I’d like us to sign Walker-Peters for LB who can also play RB and wouldn’t cost the earth. The more pressing need in terms of defensive reinforcements, however, is a quick, mobile, ball playing CB to cover for Schar and eventually replace him.

To be fair Shearer destroyed Terry when he could barely walk let alone run. Receive the pass, quick turn and boom. No pace required