NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

37 minutes ago, madras said:

Am I the only one to think a striker is a need ? We have no option to go 2 up front if either gets injured or should we want to start like that (I'd love to see Isak as an advanced 10 off Wilson) we'd have no cover on the bench. 

I think you'll struggle to find a club in the league that has more than 2 first team strikers. Even those in Europe other than maybe Brighton.

Man City - Haaland, Alvarez

Arsenal - Jesus, Nketiah

Newcastle - Isak, Wilson

Man Utd - Hojlund, Martial/Rashford(?)

Liverpool - Nunez, Jota (they play a very fluid front 3, hard to narrow players down to strikers)

Brighton - Welbeck, Ferguson, Joao Pedro

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

I think you'll struggle to find a club in the league that has more than 2 first team strikers. Even those in Europe other than maybe Brighton.

Man City - Haaland, Alvarez

Arsenal - Jesus, Nketiah

Newcastle - Isak, Wilson

Man Utd - Hojlund, Martial/Rashford(?)

Liverpool - Nunez, Jota (they play a very fluid front 3, hard to narrow players down to strikers)

Brighton - Welbeck, Ferguson, Joao Pedro

Rushford played through the middle a lot and to good effect and City used Foden and DeBruyn (I think) as false 9's. And that's playing as lone strikers. Remember I'm envisaging using both Wilson and Isak together.

11 minutes ago, madras said:

Rushford played through the middle a lot and to good effect and City used Foden and DeBruyn (I think) as false 9's. And that's playing as lone strikers. Remember I'm envisaging using both Wilson and Isak together.

I don't think Rashford is suited as a #9 at all and false 9s are a totally different thing to out and out strikers imo. 

Isak and Wilson together is a good option from the bench to change things up when chasing a game but I'm not a fan of it from the start. Think we only scored 2 goals from open play at the back end of last season when they started and were on the pitch together and those were the 2 breakaway goals at home to Brighton. It restricts Isak who is imo our best attacker, one of if not the best footballers we have at the club, to an auxiliary role where he can be shut out of games as he'd be starting on the left. Obviously this is assuming that we'd stick with the 4-3-3 as I can't see Howe changing that to accommodate getting Isak and Wilson starting through the middle as two #9s or with Isak just off Wilson.

Also, Isak is our future through the middle. Wilson however is a fabulous option to have on the bench and to rotate Isak with given the amount of midweek football we'll be playing after the first international break.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I don't think Rashford is suited as a #9 at all and false 9s are a totally different thing is out and out strikers imo. 

Isak and Wilson together is a good option from the bench to change things up when chasing a game but I'm not a fan of it from the start. Think we only scored 2 goals from open play at the back end of last season when they started and were on the pitch together and those were the 2 breakaway goals at home to Brighton. It restricts Isak who is imo our best attacker, one of if not the best footballers we have at the club, to an auxiliary role where he can be shut out of games as he'd be starting on the left. Obviously this is assuming that we'd stick with the 4-3-3 as I can't see Howe changing that to accommodate getting Isak and Wilson starting through the middle as two #9s or with Isak just off Wilson.

Also, Isak is our future through the middle. Wilson however is a fabulous option to have on the bench and to rotate Isak with given the amount of midweek football we'll be playing after the first international break.

I disagree a bit. Isak's quietest games have been when he's been isolated up front when teams just stopped him from holding it up (Villa and Brentford and we saw the change at Brentford, even Villa we were much better with 2). I'm not saying week in week out that's the way to go but now and again against  certain  opposition. Also both players have had there share of injuries, another forward gives the option  which we don't have right now.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I disagree a bit. Isak's quietest games have been when he's been isolated up front when teams just stopped him from holding it up (Villa and Brentford and we saw the change at Brentford, even Villa we were much better with 2). I'm not saying week in week out that's the way to go but now and again against  certain  opposition. Also both players have had there share of injuries, another forward gives the option  which we don't have right now.

All opinions. :thup:

Just think that going with both from the start limits how much we can change things if they go wrong in a game. Plan A and B would already be on the pitch. Obviously horses for courses and all that.

Think also Isak's injury last season was the first long term one of his career? May be wrong on that. But I don't see him anywhere as injury prone as Wilson, and yet we got 31 games out of Wilson last season which is good going given his history.

Excited and optimistic about all of our signings but I feel like the jury's out on everyone except Barnes. Hopefully it won't take long for all of them to prove that they're quality signings. 

The ambition and efficiency continues to be an absolute joy. I'm sure they know that a CB is needed but we undoubtedly needed recruitment in all of the positions we've successfully bought for too; and it's only FFP that's meant we've run out of room for now. 

Important to add that we've not lost anyone important either. An underrated characteristic of a transfer window in these heady times.

No complaints, life is good. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

All opinions. :thup:

Just think that going with both from the start limits how much we can change things if they go wrong in a game. Plan A and B would already be on the pitch. Obviously horses for courses and all that.

Think also Isak's injury last season was the first long term one of his career? May be wrong on that. But I don't see him anywhere as injury prone as Wilson, and yet we got 31 games out of Wilson last season which is good going given his history.

You play what you think will work, sometimes it may be one sometimes the other sometimes both and with Isaks mobility and ability I think he could be used in various ways. As it stands if either gets injured we realistically have one option and Wilsons injury record is a worry on that score.

9/10 window for me.  We knew about the budget constraints and the club has brought in talent in key positions.  Of course, like others it would have been great to see a couple of more (RW & RCB) but I do think that’s FFP not will in action there.

10/10 window if we can offload Fraser. 

Solid window. 8/10 for me. Upgrades pretty much all round however I don’t think we’ve signed a transformational player but I’m also aware that players like Willock are a lot better than we usually remember.

We don’t know what our most effective first 11 is yet and probably won’t until next month at some stage.

Ratings:

Tonali: 10/10

OK so we don't know for sure that he will be a success but in terms of ambition and what we want our club to be, its an outstanding effort to sign him. He's also in a position we needed.

Barnes: 8/10

Was probably a 7 until I actually saw him play in our team and realised how effective he will be. As someone else said, he's the least "risk" and is solid value for money.

Livramento: 8/10

Slight risk given his injury and not necessarily a position which many of us would have deemed crucial but a potentially elite, english, right back can't be sniffed at.

Hall: 9/10

Pick of the bunch for me. He's only 18 but I'd bet that by the end of the season he's our first choice left back. He's got STAR written all over him. Rare that you see Chelsea fans fuming over losing a young player. He's also in a position we all highlighted.

Overall: 8.5/10

Still time to clear out some deadwood and I've marked down because I think an elite RW/RCB would have been chefs kiss.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm living in dreamland, so no complaints from me.