NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

So it begins.

Other midfielders on Newcastle's radar to replace Tonali, who is facing a ban for breaking betting rules, include Manchester United and Scotland's Scott McTominay, 26, Everton and Belgium's Amadou Onana, 22, and Fulham and Portugal's Joao Palhinha, 28. (The Athletic)

50 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

So it begins.

Other midfielders on Newcastle's radar to replace Tonali, who is facing a ban for breaking betting rules, include Manchester United and Scotland's Scott McTominay, 26, Everton and Belgium's Amadou Onana, 22, and Fulham and Portugal's Joao Palhinha, 28. (The Athletic)

I’ve read that article, it doesn’t say that. Just documents who could replace him. Article breaks it down into statistical fits, Saudi league players and PL options.

To get to the "next level" i think we need more players with next level technical ability and end product. Hopefully without missing out on mentality and and physical ability too much. It will allow us being even more in control of games as well. Balance is key. Most important of all is the character and hunger too, like players that don't go missing. Consistency.

Edited by Ikon

49 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Onana would be great. I do think it's total overkill actually signing another CM though, don't see him being available on loan so probably a non starter.

Onana is a decent player with high potential, but for me any future CM signings need to either be a top class DM or a technical, creative and progressive CM. Think we have enough physical runners currently.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Onana is a decent player with high potential, but for me any future CM signings need to either be a top class DM or a technical, creative and progressive CM. Think we have enough physical runners currently.

Yes I could get why we'd go for that, it would allow more options in different types of games. Onana would be a great loan but that won't happen and he's basically Willock X Joelinton so perhaps is also not necessary. 

Our front 2 midfielders have to be on the high end physically, the press relies heavily on it. We can get away with a less physical more technical 6 like Bruno because of the physicality in front of him.. the current midfield functions more on the tactical integration and high physicality than good technical ability and I’m not sure that changes any time soon. 

Obviously the end goal is to have a front 2 of elite midfielders that can do it all, but that costs and we are some way yet from attracting the Bellinghams of the world.

Edited by Nine

People talking like FFP isnt a thing this season? As Supertoon says our challenge will be finding a club willing to loan us someone good enough as we wont be buying unless theres a great deal loan to buy suddenly available. Athletic article is a waste of time

2 minutes ago, Ezity said:

2 midfielders are needed if we wanna finish top 4 again this season. 

The great thing about our manager is that he’ll figure something out 

Trippier playing inside could be an option - same with Tino

Matt Ritchie with the odd minutes here and there 

Just to take us to Jan - the above is only if we are desperate - otherwise stick to the usual midfield group and we should get through 

6 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

People talking like FFP isnt a thing this season? As Supertoon says our challenge will be finding a club willing to loan us someone good enough as we wont be buying unless theres a great deal loan to buy suddenly available. Athletic article is a waste of time

Don't be so sure. I'd guess there was leeway for a January deal if a too good to turn down deal came along or necessity. Also remember our position 24/25 will be much improved from 23/24.

We could just start using our squad a bit more. We've got Miley and Hall who are capable of covering in CM. If they're not good enough to help us to the top 4 then so be it, however it'll be good for the pair of them in the long run if they get some actual minutes on the pitch.