NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, Sibierski said:

Why can’t we afford Williams wage? What’s Bruno on? £180k mark? 

Wiliams has just won Euros being an important player, think wages of that with bonuses to take it to £250k would be valid and fair if we saw him as a legit talent to spearhead us to next level for next 5 years.

It’s a gamble in terms of finances for me that would better than a gamble on number of squad players. I know Man City likely cheated the books, but they spent big wages on Yaya after finishing 5th. That Man City transfer spend between summer 2010 to summer 2011 is the levels we need to be doing this summer and next IMO if we are to take a stride forward. Which is established talent sprinkled in with big prospects at clubs just below the elite.

Would raise the expectations of other players, would be the main drawback. 

Just now, The Bonk said:

@KaKa I would personally love Mbeumo, Gnonto or Summerville. :lol: As for Gnonto throwing his toys out the pram last year, Gordon did the same thing in agitating a move towards us. :lol: 

I'm with you. All the players you mention would improve us significantly down the right. Even the two right footers that some will claim should only be on the left.

Almiron is a top pro and a top guy, but he has held us back so much on that right side, when we go forward, as he doesn't take players on with the ball and he's so uncomfortable crossing the ball with his right foot. His main threat, was being played in behind by Bruno. Otherwise the main threat at creating something from the right side was Trippier crossing the ball in.

The Gnonto thing was over his concerns he'd lose his national team place by dropping to the Championship. He soon calmed down, apologised and was integrated back into things. He's hardly some kind of unreasonable hot head. Not even worth mentioning in all honesty.

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

Most these foreign players like Williams etc have crazy wages like around 400k euros a week how the hell do these Spanish and German clubs afford to pay them that highly is beyond me like. 

Some huge German conglomerates have very close links with the top German teams………probably helps them a lot I’d think.

37 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

@KaKa I would personally love Mbeumo, Gnonto or Summerville. :lol: As for Gnonto throwing his toys out the pram last year, Gordon did the same thing in agitating a move towards us. :lol: 

I like Gnonto as a player, but he's just too titchy. I keep getting flashbacks of Ryan Fraser tearing down the wing with his little legs and then only advancing 5 yards.

49 minutes ago, andycap said:

Most these foreign players like Williams etc have crazy wages like around 400k euros a week how the hell do these Spanish and German clubs afford to pay them that highly is beyond me like. 

Was chatting to a colleague about this earlier, particularly Williams' case.

Because Bilbao don't spend any money on transfers due to their Basque youth setup, I can only think they've got a lot of budget to spend on players wages instead.

Am I the only one not fully convinced we have such a gaping chasm quality to fill at RW?

I'm not saying we wouldn't be improved by an Olmo or Williams, and I'd welcome them with open arms. I'm more advocating for Harvey Barnes and the quality he possesses. 

Are the doubts about him purely due to his injury hit one season with us? He got 8 goal involvements in 21 games, only 7 of which were starts. That West Ham game where he got the double, how many players can turn a game like that?

Injury wise, he's missed an average of about 8 games in each of the previous three seasons (which isn't great, but in the realms of acceptability imo). Maybe we could live with getting a more economical replacement for Miggy such as a Gnonto, freeing up more funds for a CB and the like.

Just now, southernmag said:

Am I the only one not fully convinced we have such a gaping chasm quality to fill at RW?

I'm not saying we wouldn't be improved by an Olmo or Williams, and I'd welcome them with open arms. I'm more advocating for Harvey Barnes and the quality he possesses. 

Are the doubts about him purely due to his injury hit one season with us? He got 8 goal involvements in 21 games, only 7 of which were starts. That West Ham game where he got the double, how many players can turn a game like that?

Injury wise, he's missed an average of about 8 games in each of the previous three seasons (which isn't great, but in the realms of acceptability imo). Maybe we could live with getting a more economical replacement for Miggy such as a Gnonto, freeing up more funds for a CB and the like.

Thing with Barnes is that he’s a left-sided player…dunno if he’s ever played on the right, and it may neuter his best qualities. Gordon could play on the right, but we’d want him at his best on the left. 

45 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Just need this pinned on the wall of Eddie's office, so if players bowl in and start complaining that they're not the top earner then he can point to the sign and they'll chill out about chasing the yankee dollar

Screenshot-2024-07-16-162132.jpg

Nice. Philosopher?

Probably just a BS rumour regarding Kang-in Lee. Tbh I haven’t seen tons of him but the few times I’ve seen him I’ve really liked him and his style as a player. Very good technically and has a lot of attributes that I’ve liked. Those of you who have seen him more what do you think? Could he be a player that might thrive and develop in a new environment? Seems versatile and still young. 

Just seen the source, never mind..

Edited by Ikon

4 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

It's not the cost of a single player though much like wages it's the knock on affect of the other Star players in the squad. Once you say break the 200k barrier the other players who come on board or are due for renewal see that and want it too. Similar to what happened when we bumped up bruno and joelinton wanted it to. 

Gonna happen eventually but do you start paying that when you get there or to get there? We aren't a main stay champions league side which is what I think these types of players are. 

The justification for that wage though is him producing it on the top stage. Yea, if you play top level for 2-3 season for us you will get to that, but if you’ve done it at the top, and it’s with a big transfer fee, it’s expected to come with big wages. Players kick up a fuss about that, they know where the door is.

I think Kang-In Lee would be a good signing. The few times I’ve seen him he’s looked really good technically, tenacious and like he’s got a good engine on him. Seems like a good player to rotate in and out of our midfield to ease the burden of the others. He’s also a good set piece taker and likes a go from distance.