NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

44 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Five players covering three positions. I guess Anderson and Gordon can cover, but neither look natural there.

I think Anderson has looked decent as one of the number 8s in midfield. Hoping he can kick on this season. Think his ability to drift wide from LCM will work quite well if Barnes is cutting into the centre.

I think we're just about OK in midfield. Possibly marginally light but it's a balancing act to avoid adding too many purples that won't play. Depends how Miley does as well although it is a lot to ask a 17 year old to contribute significantly beyond cup appearances.

2 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Our first choice LB was part of the joint best defence in the league last season :lol:

We’re going into a Champions League campaign! Do you really want to see Dan Burn at LB? Half of our supporters were calling for him to be dropped in the last 3rd of the season, not because of his defensive contribution but because we had nothing attacking-wise down the left.
Targett was available for large parts of last season but didn’t get a game, so Eddie clearly doesn’t rate him as a first choice LB.

Teams will have done a shitload of analysis on us in the close season, so we can expect a hell of a lot more pressure on our right hand side. If we don’t add another attacking dimension it could come back to bite us.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hall was easily Chelsea's best player when we played them at home last season.

He was, stood out a mile from all of their preening stars who weren't getting it there own way

33 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure why we're ignoring the last two like. They only didn't get the minutes because the first 4 choices were fit and playing well. Tonali is now added to it. We're more than covered. 

They didn’t get minutes because they were not trusted.  Tonali will get minutes because he’s trusted. Whoever drops out the team for him will get minutes because they are also trusted. 

On another note. I don’t rate Burn much at CB. He’s prone to lapses in concentration and at CB they are more fatal.  

36 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure why we're ignoring the last two like.

This has annoyed me the last couple of days. People just completely ignoring or discounting players because it doesn’t fit their view. Bottom line is if they are in the squad they have to be counted be it Anderson, Ritchie or Dummett

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They didn’t get minutes because they were not trusted.  Tonali will get minutes because he’s trusted. Whoever drops out the team for him will get minutes because they are also trusted. 

On another note. I don’t rate Burn much at CB. He’s prone to lapses in concentration and at CB they are more fatal.  

Anderson got nearly 500 minutes last season like, which isn't inconsequential and Howe constantly bigs him up, he's clearly trusted like.

You also need to trust youth, as a fanbase we've always moaned about our youth setup, and we finally have a couple of players that could be decent at Premier League level, and people want to make it so they never get any game time.