NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Why are you being needlessly pedantic?

Im sure you understand the point that I’m making. 

My point is that top 6 teams often invlude players who may not stand out in a mid/lower table team but they can be a valuable cog in a good team.  So many from Ferguson's Man Utd team for instance looked utter shite when they moved elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Any ideas on who the centerback might be? Another up and coming British player maybe? Seems to be the trend?

Ashley Phillips was tenuously linked with us the other day but looks like he’s gone to Spurs.

Joachim Anderson has been the repeat link in the window but seems he might cost a decent whack.

If we were to bring in a progressive attacking LB like Tierney either Trippier has to stay back a lot more or in this case Tierney would have to. You can't have two attacking fullbacks up field at the same time unless you have defensive midfielders to protect the two CH's, in our case slow ones as well. We don't have a defensive midfielder in the squad and don't seem to be prioritizing one, so I'm guessing that Dan Burn stays and starts as LB.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Can see us having a look in January. 

Barnes

Gordon

Almiron

Murphy

Feels weak. Looks weak. Lacks that bit of magic. 

Weak??

We surely need a CB with some pace, athleticism. Anderson isn't really that. He is a slightly younger version of Schar. I don't think we need that though, even if Schar isn't getting younger, turning 32 this season. Certainly wouldn't be upset if we got him. He is highly rated but doesn't seem the type of player we need. Thankfully Howe and the scouting team know best either way!

34 minutes ago, toontownman said:

We surely need a CB with some pace, athleticism. Anderson isn't really that. He is a slightly younger version of Schar. I don't think we need that though, even if Schar isn't getting younger, turning 32 this season. Certainly wouldn't be upset if we got him. He is highly rated but doesn't seem the type of player we need. Thankfully Howe and the scouting team know best either way!

It's an interesting one. He's circa four and a half years younger than Schar and a better defender, so he'd be an upgrade and given they're very similar players they'd be easy enough to rotate. At the same time unless we're persisting with a sweeper keeper or bringing in full backs with more pace, I thought we'd be looking at a different profile.

Certainly wouldn't complain though. He's a very good defender and plays pace better than Schar. Ultimately I trust the powers that be and what they're trying to do with the shape of the team.

55 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Yeah we can, I doubt we have the world's best player in any position at the moment.

Is Cental Left Midfield Pressing Wing Forward Attacker not a positon?

Newcastle United Sport GIF by Newcastle United Football Club

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s a good footballer. But is he good enough to be a consistent starter for a top 6 club? Is Murphy? Is Gordon?

Mahrez. Foden. Saka.  Salah. 

He’s a good few levels below. 

I’m not being pessimistic. Almiron deserves to be here and play in the CL. But the squad is missing quality in that area of the pitch. 

Miggy always had final third quality. He just missed his chances like on his debut against Everton. I have no problem with him being our preferred right sided attacker for the next three to four seasons. He’s older, wiser and a genuine threat to full backs. You have to remember Miggy is 29 now and is in the prime of his career. As players retire and new ones come in, Miggy will be a a step or two above them and as they’re finding their feet, Miggy will be running past them as he’s gotten over the initial teething problems that come along with being a Premier League footballer 

Between Gordon, Barnes, Almiron, Isak, Wilson, and Joelinton if needed, we have enough fire power to make it through the season IMO. We were having trouble finding a place for Maxi toward the end of the season so I think we’ll be okay going forward. 

And as far as Miggy not being as good as Salah, Mahrez, Saka, Foden, that’s fine because he doesn’t have to be. I think Isak and Wilson will shepherd that responsibility. If Miggy can chip in with 8-10 PL goals, that’s a bonus and I’m fully convinced he’s capable of that

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

His main weakness is that he’s just not that good at football. 

You said this last season as well, how did that turn out? No one is saying he's a world beater by the way, but throwing around vague comments like he's not that good at football is lazy stuff. He's got some weaknesses and some outstanding strengths. Like I said, it will take quite a lot of money to replace him.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

You said this last season as well, how did that turn out? No one is saying he's a world beater by the way, but throwing around vague comments like he's not that good at football is lazy stuff. He's got some weaknesses and some outstanding strengths. Like I said, it will take quite a lot of money to replace him.

But would he get in the Man City side? Would he? Eh? But would he?