NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Dam Ashworth said its going to take three summers to get the squad where we want it, assuming we bring in a RCB then bring in a LB and a RW next summer he's going to be pretty much right.

Obviously we're still going to be miles off Man City but this squad, plua another season of experience for Botman/Isak/Bruno, plus RCB, RW and LB and we're not far off a top-four quality squad imo.

17 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Dam Ashworth said its going to take three summers to get the squad where we want it, assuming we bring in a RCB then bring in a LB and a RW next summer he's going to be pretty much right.

Obviously we're still going to be miles off Man City but this squad, plua another season of experience for Botman/Isak/Bruno, plus RCB, RW and LB and we're not far off a top-four quality squad imo.

We’re not far off now 😉

2 hours ago, mofo said:

Tonali - Is he really better than Longstaff?

Barnes - The Jury is out... Relegated with his last club doesn't bode well with me.

Livramento - Madness we already have a right back!!

Double Take Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

47 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think next summer brings a striker.

3 hours ago, mofo said:

Tonali - Is he really better than Longstaff?

Barnes - The Jury is out... Relegated with his last club doesn't bode well with me.

Livramento - Madness we already have a right back!!

Me: Let's check in on NO, I don't really watch football anymore but they must be upbeat about the new season and generally pretty happy right?

FBEmCyeVQAETiet.thumb.jpg.dd5410ea3d74aeb0192694af37f35e75.jpg

5 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Are you alright mate? You seem really offended that someone has a different opinion to you. That’s kind of the way the world works you know! 
It’s not meant to be offensive, it’s just different points of view.

I'm spot on... but then I'm not the one complaining.[emoji38]

3 hours ago, Nepharite said:

Permanent move or loan? I wonder if we are seen as a direct threat to them now so they won't deal with us?

Nothing new there. None of the 'big six' have dealt with us so far.

Don't hold your breath. They were part of a breakaway cabal not long ago.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm spot on... but then I'm not the one complaining.[emoji38]

It's totally conceding defeat but not having the self awareness to admit it when someone brings up that they are allowed to have a different opinion in an argument. A fair few consistently spout that horse shit on here whenever they are called out in any way.

9 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I would really like another defensive-minded midfielder to come in. Someone with Longstaff’s profile or a similar player who can perform his function in midfield.

I don’t think we bring in anyone else though and I’m fairly satisfied with our window.

An obscure cheap signing from abroad who knows they’ll be played situationally. 

39 minutes ago, STM said:

Imagine the business we could do if we managed to wriggle Hayden, Hendrick and Fraser off the books. Must be 150k of wages there.

Don't understand why we don't just pay up the contracts and release them? Gets the wages of the books which helps with FFP.

1 minute ago, Geogaddi said:

Don't understand why we don't just pay up the contracts and release them? Gets the wages of the books which helps with FFP.

Well not really, cos it just means the full cost of their wages would go against FFP for this year (the payoff), rather than being spread across the time they were here.

38 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I would really like another defensive-minded midfielder to come in. Someone with Longstaff’s profile or a similar player who can perform his function in midfield.

I don’t think we bring in anyone else though and I’m fairly satisfied with our window.

You're describing Tonali.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Well not really, cos it just means the full cost of their wages would go against FFP for this year (the payoff), rather than being spread across the time they were here.

Just presumed we could release them and get wages off the books, didn't realise would go against us for FFP.

Honestly you can't always trust what Howe says about limiting incomings. He is always overly conservative and like everyone at the club now, we will play things down. We don't have much wriggle room though. 

Squad wise for the PL 25

GK:  Pope, Dubs, Karius, Gillespie

Defenders: (LB) Targett, Dummett (CB) Botman, Schar, Lascelles, Burn (RB) Trippier, Livramento*, Krafth, Manquillo

Central Midfield: Joelinton, Bruno, Tonali, Longstaff, Willock, Anderson*, Miley*,

Wingers/Forwards: Isak, Wilson, Almiron, Gordon, Barnes, Murphy, Ritchie

*U21

So we are sat at 25 even right now (after Livramento comes in). While the talk of FFP is always something that hamstrings us, this squad size rules is also surely limiting us in the market. I don't know if we register all 4 keepers and both Dummett and Ritchie, its possible some are registered for PL and some just for CL. Also possible Manquillo leaves to free up space. I would think we could sign one maybe two more over 21's but surely our optimum signing is another under 21 so they don't count towards the squad. Lewis Hall step forward please. 

Champions League is the most tight. 

For CL we likely register a maximum 3 if not just two goalkeepers. Clubs can temporarily replace an injured goalkeeper (if out for a month or longer) at any time with someone else not in the submitted list. 

We also will have to include Miley, Anderson and Dummett on the 25 man list A, I think? It has to have 4 homegrown from our academy (at least 2 years from 15-21) and 4 homegrown from a UK academy. The latter is easy but the former is harder with just Dummett, Longstaff, Anderson and Miley being eligible and I think they have to be on our A list. I thought Gillespie counted but he left at 16 and you need at least 2 years past 15 to count. I can't think of many academy grads worth signing back to help. In someways its surprising we didn't want to ship out Gillespie and try for bringing back Krul or Forster. That means we likely have to drop two from that 25 at the top of the post. (Gillespie and Ritchie?), would also mean whomever comes in next also wouldn't make the list or others would need dropping (Karius/Manquillo/Krafth?). 

PL squad has more wriggle room. We could sign a couple more over 21's if we drop Gillespie (we did for the first half of last season) and one of Dummett/Ritchie. Ritchie included in the PL squad and Dummett for CL. Out of everyone Gillespie just seems like the odd one out, can't see room for him on either list if we are bringing any more in after Livramento. 

Sorry that was a bit excessive, also probably wrong [emoji38]

Just Livramento - 6

+ CB say Anderson - 6.5/7

+ LB say Hall 7/7.5

+ RW of Szob level 9.5

athe biggest weaknesses in the squad coming into the window of as a lack of quality depth in defence and a weak spot at LB. The depth we seem to be addressing. But our first choice LB is ropey a lot of the time. Because of the money spent on Livra I do think he plays a lot of minutes WITH Trippier as an option with one of them moving to LB the which might mitigate that issue.  

The second weakness was guile and class going forward.  Adding another Bruno / Isak level forward thinking player 2x.  I think Tonali will be a great signing but he’s not that cute on the ball and similar story with Barnes - but Barnes could score a lot.  Still think we’re missing 1 quality wide man/midfielder.