NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

Suppose it depends on the conditions of any deal. If there’s an (optional) pre-set purchase price agreed for us, then all good.

You’d think they’d have to be pretty desperate to get him off the books for that though.

Presumably the pre-set purchase price will also be a fraction of the 62 million pounds they paid Brighton for him too:lol:. In summary, Chelsea will have to take a massive loss, and Cucu a massive pay cut for this to work. Really can't see this happening.

A drop of 50k per week is 2.5m a year, given he probably has another 4 or 5 years on his contract that is probably £10m to walk away from. Don’t see it.

A loan with subsidised wages is the only thing that would get him to leave and I reckon that means he’d be sent to Italy or Spain 

A lot of it's fees that are tailoured to whichever team is in for them I think. A few years ago the fees were just as bad but less common for certain players, meanwhile other teams like Liverpool were picking up world class players for around £40m. 

The money we spent on Botman, Bruno, Isak, Tonali all look like absolute bargains in the same way imo. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Might be one for the Twitter thread.

Conspiracy theory: wonder if the Saudi league taking all of Chelsea’s deadwood and bailing them out ffp wise might have earned us a bit of favour with Chelsea and they might be willing to do some business with us now?

Don’t think we’ve done business with any of the ‘big 6’ so far despite being linked with many of their players.

The downside to this transfer fee arms race is that every half-decent talent playing in the PL (and soon the continent) is going to cost us a lot more money than it used to, compared to even a year ago. We're lucky we'd kind of sorted out our front six. We'd be quoted 100 mil for Tonali if we'd gone in for him this week (and Chelsea will then outbid us anyway:lol:).

6 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Conspiracy theory: wonder if the Saudi league taking all of Chelsea’s deadwood and bailing them out ffp wise might have earned us a bit of favour with Chelsea and they might be willing to do some business with us now?

Don’t think we’ve done business with any of the ‘big 6’ so far despite being linked with many of their players.

The Chelsea lot have always had a warmer relationship with us than the rest of the league, as well as the Saudi link I believe Staveley and Ghoddoussi have a friendship with Boehly that pre-dates either of them being involved with their respective clubs. Believe Chelsea have always been open to negotiate, it's just been they overvalue our targets. 

Edited by sushimonster85

Left back has to be the priority for me.  From what I've seen of Lacselles lately, it looks as though Howe's coaching has improved him. He seems more comfortable on the ball and his passing is better. For the moment I'd be fine with him and Burn as cover.  I really rated Cucurella when he was at Brighton, but he's nowhere near as quick as I first thought.  Probably wouldn't say no, but I'd prefer Tierney out of the two of them for his pace.

27 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Chelsea sold 2 players to Saudi for combined fee of just over half of what they got for Mount. Total nonsense that they took all of Chelsea’s deadwood and bailed with our with ffp. 

they signed one more player from Chelsea than they bought from us :lol:

Edited by gdm

Absolutely nothing official to back this up but going off my vague memory only Tierney would fit comfortably in our wage structure between the two so the likelihood is only one if them is a possibility. Thankfully out of the two the one I’d prefer but not convinced either will be our real 1st choice target if even position this window.

42 minutes ago, Emotic said:

The downside to this transfer fee arms race is that every half-decent talent playing in the PL (and soon the continent) is going to cost us a lot more money than it used to, compared to even a year ago. We're lucky we'd kind of sorted out our front six. We'd be quoted 100 mil for Tonali if we'd gone in for him this week (and Chelsea will then outbid us anyway:lol:).

Don't think so, the high profile most prized asset signing that catches the headlines will go for astronomical fees, think your Mudryk, Fernandez or Caicedo. Because the selling club knows that the idiotic buying club owner on the other side of the table isn't accustomed to not getting what they want. You'll still find value in the next tier of players who could have the potential to be just as good anyway.

If we get cucurella I think howe will improve his game and he'd be great in our style of play plus he's no slouch will add some pace to the backline. There's a reason city wanted him before chelsea got there grubby hands on him.