NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

Theo Hernandez, Caio Silva or Leonardo Spinazzola. 

im giving up on using any logic today. It’s just want and make it happen now .

Nah mate, it’s Alphonso Davies next summer as the big signing 

2 hours ago, madras said:

Rice going for 100mill, Caicedo, when he goes will go for more, Hojland was 70mill etc. Is everyone overpaying ?

Interesting question. Fees seem to be stabilising a bit around 100m at the top end, and some players (eg Rice) have an inflated fee IMO, and others (eg Bellingham) seem under-priced. Coupled with that, you have players going much cheaper (MacAllister, Haaland, Gvardiol) either because they have a buy-out clause or because the player has made it known that there's only one club they'd consider and no real auction takes place.

But yes, at the top end, there are going to be some spectacular mistakes. Darwin Nunez is one, I think. Rice will be another.

I truly believe that in some cases clubs see the spending of high fees as quality defining in itself. If you spend £100m ish on Rice or Caicedo, then just like that, they're a £100m player by definition and there's a circular logic of spent £100m on them = they're a £100m player = we spent £100m on them. And some supporters buy into that logic as well, particularly the 'we won the transfer window spending' dickheads on Twitter. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Darwin Nunez is one, I think. Rice will be another.

Will withhold opinion on Nunez until Bank Holiday Monday when we’ve played them. Last time I panned him, the cunt scored against us.

Rice I reckon will be steady but unspectacular. They’ll get 8 years from him, the odd trophy but won’t win the league or UCL. Whether that qualifies as success is relative to Arsenal fans and the Twitter maniacs that follow them.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

One things for certain we won’t be paying that. 

Yeah. 

Chelsea substantially subsidising it whilst Howe turns him into prime Roberto Carlos would be quite something.

Just now, SteV said:

Yeah. 

Chelsea substantially subsidising it whilst Howe turns him into prime Roberto Carlos would be quite something.

The problem would come 12 months down the line where we have inflated his value. If he’s successful I can’t see him wanting to take a pay cut either. 

we will probably need to give this one a wide birth. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

The problem would come 12 months down the line where we have inflated his value. If he’s successful I can’t see him wanting to take a pay cut either. 

we will probably need to give this one a wide birth. 

Suppose it depends on the conditions of any deal. If there’s an (optional) pre-set purchase price agreed for us, then all good.

You’d think they’d have to be pretty desperate to get him off the books for that though.

Just now, SteV said:

Suppose it depends on the conditions of any deal. If there’s an (optional) pre-set purchase price agreed for us, then all good.

You’d think they’d have to be pretty desperate to get him off the books for that though.

I’m sure they are, it’s his mega wages though I just don’t see how we can ever square them. Fair play his agent is a beast though I bet he was on hardly ought at Brighton. :lol:

I do wonder if we’ll soon start seeing “diminishing returns” to transfer fees. “If Caicedo is a £115m player, then I deserve £175m for my superior player” will be what a lot of clubs will ask. But these fees won’t rise indefinitely, surely.

Of course Chelsea will fuck it up by spending £200m on Mitoma next summer.

1 minute ago, Deuce said:

I do wonder if we’ll soon start seeing “diminishing returns” to transfer fees. “If Caicedo is a £115m player, then I deserve £175m for my superior player” will be what a lot of clubs will ask. But these fees won’t rise indefinitely, surely.

Of course Chelsea will fuck it up by spending £200m on Mitoma next summer.

Yeah definitely and it’s important to realise these transfers are all outliers in the grand scheme of things. Very few clubs can afford these absolutely mental fees.