NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I know he goes down every game but Schar getting injured within 30 seconds on Saturday amplified the fears in me that we'll have to rely on Lascelles more than we want to if he gets injured

Guess we could play Burn and Botman together but not ideal.

Worried one of these Schar clashes is going to result in a significant layoff

On 20/08/2023 at 03:21, The Butcher said:

The very best teams have a top class DM. We don't have a single one in our squad. 

Why isn't Bruno a 6? I see that said often here and always wonder. Harsh on Bruno but I also think his lack of athleticism and poor shooting limits him higher up the pitch. IMO he's prefect in the current role, gets to see lots of the ball and is still vital when we are in possession.

We're definitely done like. Hall with an obligation to buy means we're already eating into the budget for next year. 

I do wonder if that means we wont spend in January. Guess it depends how we're looking in the league and whether Schar and Botman have remained fit/how the cover has looked.

Think we'll go big on an right footed centre half and a right sided forward to replace Schar and Almiron next season. 

Depends if you believe the clubs line about having to be creative. Personally think it's clear they lie in this regard. Even so, hasn't Howe said if we get an injury we would look to try to get another player in. And we talk about always being ready to act if an opportunity arises.

Will we sign another player? Possibly not. But we absolutely can and will if the right player becomes available at the right price.

On 19/08/2023 at 08:45, Shak said:

That said, they're not sending their best and fastest-footed. Went to the park for a kickabout a month or two ago and all the Brazilians were completely shite.

:lol: Being a race known for a skill and not having that skill is a motherfucker.

50 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Can't see that we can afford anyone due to FFP.

Maybe sell another player of a reasonable standing to solve that issue, Wilson or Miggy though I will get lambasted for suggesting that as clearly we aren't as has been previously mentioned gonna get much for the dross, maybe even Burn .

Just now, nufcjb said:

Juve want Lukaku but need to sell first. Go on Ashworth, be creative with Chiesa.

See his goal yesterday? He’s a starter. There’s no way he’s going anywhere on loan unless we have an obligation to buy at a large price and eat more into next years budget again. 

How would you rate our transfer window so far?

Personally for me -

Pros:

First transfer window where I've agreed with every signing

One elite level player like Tonali, one proven goal scorer/provider in Harvey Barnes, and probably the two most promising young English fullbacks on both flanks.

Money quite wisely spent given constraints

Squad now has major depth

Cons:

RW and CB not addressed in any capacity

For me I'd say 9/10 window. I've every faith CB and RW will get addressed next summer and we are not as weak in those areas as the ones we've strengthened this summer.

8 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

How would you rate our transfer window so far?

Personally for me -

Pros:

First transfer window where I've agreed with every signing

One elite level player like Tonali, one proven goal scorer/provider in Harvey Barnes, and probably the two most promising young English fullbacks on both flanks.

Money quite wisely spent given constraints

Squad now has major depth

Cons:

RW and CB not addressed in any capacity

For me I'd say 9/10 window. I've every faith CB and RW will get addressed next summer and we are not as weak in those areas as the ones we've strengthened this summer.

Agree with all of this.

I initially wanted two CMs but the emergence of Miley and the improvement in Anderson means getting one CM of real quality is enough.

It's also interesting that Ashworth (I think it was him) said it would take three summers to get the squad where we needed it. Assuming we address CB and RW next summer, he's not going to be far wrong, although we may need to factor in Trippier and Wilson in particular being another year older.

On 21/08/2023 at 15:35, PauloGeordio said:

If an opportunity arises with a loan to buy option then yes.

Agree, hence Hall being loan to buy. Not sure what is in it for Chelsea, other than gauranteed money next season (which is a decent fee!) and probably a decent sell on. 

Just now, Dan Gleebals said:

Agree, hence Hall being loan to buy. Not sure what is in it for Chelsea, other than gauranteed money next season (which is a decent fee!) and probably a decent sell on. 

He's pure profit to Chelsea whereas other players like Cucurella would actually be a FFP loss when they're already getting buried by FFP after their latest unnecessary spending spree.

9/10 for me. Only expected 4 signings and we've got them. LB sorted, Livramento will end up being a great signings to take some pressure off Trippier's fitness, a potentially elite level CM which will also take pressure off of Bruno given our record with and without him and Barnes will hit 15+ G&A I reckon.

Only place where we lack real depth is at CB, though Hall signing means we could move Burn into being Botman's cover and Lascelles as Schar's. Bit of a drop off in quality though and Schar will be 32 in December; remains to be seen if he can hack 42 or so plus games when starting. We also lack pace at CB; though I've always thought the ideal CB we'll want is either too expensive atm or isn't available. We'll want a right footed Botman with pace essentially, unsure who's out there we could get. Will be sorted next summer.

I personally also wanted a RW as I feel we lack real quality there. Almiron is good in the press as seen in games such as Brighton (h) last season and always grafts but he lacks serious attacking quality in terms of decision making in possession and build up. Had a fantastic scoring run October-November last year but I've seen nothing to suggest in the 4.5 years he's been here that he'll hit those heights again. I sincerely hope he does. Murphy is almost at cult hero status and is a meme, a good option off the bench as seen against Villa but like Almiron I also think he lacks that serious quality. Like the CB though, the RW Howe would consider an upgrade likely isn't available atm but I do hope we get one sooner rather than later.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, loki679 said:

Freddy Cheezo to make it the bestest window wor Lee has ever licked.

His English translated name is actually the very prosaic Freddy Church, as was his dad Henry Church.

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

9/10 for me. Only expected 4 signings and we've got them. LB sorted, Livramento will end up being a great signings to take some pressure off Trippier's fitness, a potentially elite level CM which will also take pressure off of Bruno given our record with and without him and Barnes will hit 15+ G&A I reckon.

Only place where we lack real depth is at CB, though Hall signing means we could move Burn into being Botman's cover and Lascelles as Schar's. Bit of a drop off in quality though and Schar will be 32 in December; remains to be seen if he can hack 42 or so plus games when starting. We also lack pace at CB; though I've always thought the ideal CB we'll want is either too expensive atm or isn't available. We'll want a right footed Botman with pace essentially, unsure who's out there we could get. Will be sorted next summer.

I personally also wanted a RW as I feel we lack real quality there. Almiron is good in the press as seen in games such as Brighton (h) last season and always grafts but he lacks serious attacking quality in terms of decision making in possession and build up. Had a fantastic scoring run October-November last year but I've seen nothing to suggest in the 4.5 years he's been here that he'll hit those heights again. I sincerely hope he does. Murphy is almost at cult hero status and is a meme, a good option off the bench as seen against Villa but like Almiron I also think he lacks that serious quality. Like the CB though, the RW Howe would consider an upgrade likely isn't available atm but I do hope we get one sooner rather than later.

I'm sure they are lining up a big splashy CB signing as the long-term Schar replacement, it's just going to cost a lot of money so probably can't be done FFP-wise until either this winter or next summer. 

I think the Livramento signing is a good sign of the way these people think: bring in replacements for aging key players a year early, rather than risk being a year late. That way they have some time to acclimate themselves to the squad before they have to step up as first choice.

Edited by oldtype