NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

39 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It was more in response to the suggestion we shouldn't go after Neto because he wouldn't suit our physical approach

I think the point was more that Neto's injury history suggests it might be a bit much for him under Howe. I think Gordon leads the PL for sprints this season by miles iirc and obviously Miggy sprints around a lot too. Our wingers have to do that both to press and to cover back defensively. It might be a step too far for Neto's body given his history of injuries the past few seasons. He seems to get both muscle and joint injuries sadly. 

I agree we need more technical quality though of course. We tried to get Szoboszlai/Paqueta tbf. Those two have that mix of technicality and physicality and I'd expect us to continue trying for those types. We bought Isak, Botman, Trippier. A more technical goalkeeper would be my priority for the same reason tbh. We need to have more control in games. 

Edited by Smal

We've got some really underrated technical players going forward, I feel that problem has been a bit overanalysed for a while now. Obvs, the more the merrier though.

We're not as good at holding possession as we could be when we're up against it though. That usually comes from a mix of problems at the back and in midfield but I reckon it ultimately stems mostly from the fact that Howe wants us to be progressive as much as possible - it naturally leads to more turnovers. Trippier has been one of the worst this season in our 'bad' performances for ambitious passing from the back leading to counters but he's a technically excellent player.

Feels like next moves should be a pacey, young CB who can fill in at FB, and a versatile striker.

Did we try to get Paqueta?

Only links I saw were from people on here with him being Bruno's mate, can't remember anything reputable linking us but might be mistaken

Edited by joeyt

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Did we try to get Paqueta?

Only links I saw were from people on here with him being Bruno's mate, can't remember anything reputable linking us but might be mistaken

Romano linked us with him this summer just gone 

Discussing the Paqueta saga, Romano said: “Another deal that nearly happened this summer was Lucas Paqueta, who was targeted by Manchester City.

“Of course clubs are now waiting to see the end of the investigation story. Newcastle were also interested back in May, but then they never sent proposals as their focus was on Sandro Tonali.

“Manchester City always appreciated Paqueta but they invested money on Matheus Nunes, big money; so at the moment they’re not planning for that move in January.”

I've slightly misremembered it. Thought we'd actually offered WH some money. 

Edited by Smal

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If Wilson and Barnes are back by January, I don’t see us signing a forward player in the window.

Depends on if we have European football and our outlook in the domestic cups.

We're very light on players who can play in the front three, especially when you factor in our style of play and the injury record of Wilson and Isak in particular.

Would be pretty disappointing to just repeat the exact same mistake we made going into the season by not adding anyone again.

If you asked me who I thought suited us perfectly and just feels like exactly who we'd go for, I'd say Bowen..... he'd be unreal under Howe.

However he just signed a new deal. I wonder if he has a release clause.

2 hours ago, STM said:

If you asked me who I thought suited us perfectly and just feels like exactly who we'd go for, I'd say Bowen..... he'd be unreal under Howe.

However he just signed a new deal. I wonder if he has a release clause.

Think this stuff through. He’s signed an 6-7 year deal or something crazy. He’s shacked up with Mr West Ham’s daughter and either having or just had their first child. He’s going nowhere.

53 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Ekitike is surely a plant in the media whilst we swoop for the Brazilian kid. Though Ekitike fits the profile of playing across the front 3 Eddie wouldn’t touch with him barge pole now.

You tapped his phone like 😂 

Eddie's interview when he was asked about him seemed to suggest he understood why he knocked us back, like. His local club, they're huge, still young to move away, etc. 

Doesn't seem a great personality from the stories even at PSG, but maybe moving out of his comfort zone could be the making of him 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Eddie's interview when he was asked about him seemed to suggest he understood why he knocked us back, like. His local club, they're huge, still young to move away, etc. 

Doesn't seem a great personality from the stories even at PSG, but maybe moving out of his comfort zone could be the making of him 

I’ve got no idea if we will go for him or not, but I guess the temptation will be we’ve done all of our homework on him and scouted him extensively. 

I believe our ownership are too mature to act like jilted lovers and reject him because he didn’t join the first time. 

Our sights might be higher than him though 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I’ve got no idea if we will go for him or not, but I guess the temptation will be we’ve done all of our homework on him and scouted him extensively. 

I believe our ownership are too mature to act like jilted lovers and reject him because he didn’t join the first time. 

It is hard to say where we will set our sights as realistically it is difficult to carry 3 strikers of quality when you only play one up top, unless you go for a winger that can play up top like Liverpool do, which we arguably have with Gordon but supporters want to be able to field a traditional striker when Isak and Wilson are out.

You would think January would be the perfect time to bring in a young striker with high potential that will need time to settle, with a view of them trading places with Wilson as third choice striker as their career  paths cross. I don’t think that will be Ekitike as he seems to want regular football now. 

It is either that or an experienced player coming in to be third choice who will be happy to get limited minutes here, presuming we have other priorities to spend money than striker. 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah, possibly another one like Kalvin Phillips where maybe a loan deal just to plug a few gaps when players need rotated second half of the season just to tide us over until we go for better targets in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah, possibly another one like Kalvin Phillips where maybe a loan deal just to plug a few gaps when players need rotated second half of the season just to tide us over until we go for better targets in the summer. 

Getting him on a 6 month loan with no obligation would be absolutely perfect for us. Experienced body to fill the gap left by Tonali. 

I know this sounds mad, but it’s probably all we will need come January 31st as well. December is the month we will suffer the most, think will ease off after that. 

Who we buy i dont care. 

As long as Eddie Howe think its good for the team its ok for me. 

If Eddie wants a keeper ok

If Eddie wants a defender ok

If Eddie wants a player that is 31 year ok. 

If Eddie wants to make a loan ok.

In Eddie and the others i trust.

32 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.

Is that not from other prem clubs though?

Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2022/23 (Download PDF, size: 16MB), there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

They are:

- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.

- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.

- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.

- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

Edited by Izakaya

23 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Would be happy to hear what the rules are where non-PL clubs are concerned, for sure. As always, clear as mud :)

Following up on this - I think it applies to non-PL clubs as well, having looked at the rules re. 'temporary transfers' (loans).

See page 257 onwards.

https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2023/05/25/33ed7ee2-691b-4689-87a6-a895bf31581c/PL_Handbook_2022-23_DIGITAL_23.05.23.pdf

V.6 Subject to the conditions set out below, a Temporary Transfer shall be permitted:

V.6.1. between Clubs

v.6.2 between a Club and a club in membership of The Football League, the National League, the Northern Premier League, the Isthmian League and the Southern League; and between a Club that has its registered address in Wales and a club in membership of the Welsh Premier League

V.6.3.between a Club that has its registered address in Wales and a club in membership of the Welsh Premier League

Edited by elbee909