NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

The Phillips link won't go away - can't really see the point in a loan deal though considering how Howe likes to introduce new signings.
At that rate he won't be starting games for us until late March/early April and then it's back to Man City after a couple of months.

7 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

The Phillips link won't go away - can't really see the point in a loan deal though considering how Howe likes to introduce new signings.
At that rate he won't be starting games for us until late March/early April and then it's back to Man City after a couple of months.

It will be a loan to buy no way Man City will loan him out without a obligation to buy him in the summer 

If we can get 3 loan signings from Saudi - I'm all for it. Time to get rid of Ritchie, Dummett and others who we don't trust to start. 

Keeper - could defo get Navas or even a Saudi Pro League keeper like Bonou on loan.

If not, then defo Valencia keeper - otherwise there will be other clubs in for him in summer I'm sure. 

For CB, could get Ibanez

For CM, definitely Phillips on loan plus would love a Saudi Pro League CM - e.g. Veiga, Fofana, Kessie or Milenkovic-Savic on loan. 

For attacking, possibly recall Minteh, would love Mahrez or Mane or even Mitrovic on loan. 

17 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

The McSauce link wouldnt go away for a long time as well.

13 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

If we can get 3 loan signings from Saudi - I'm all for it. Time to get rid of Ritchie, Dummett and others who we don't trust to start. 

Keeper - could defo get Navas or even a Saudi Pro League keeper like Bonou on loan.

If not, then defo Valencia keeper - otherwise there will be other clubs in for him in summer I'm sure. 

For CB, could get Ibanez

For CM, definitely Phillips on loan plus would love a Saudi Pro League CM - e.g. Veiga, Fofana, Kessie or Milenkovic-Savic on loan. 

For attacking, possibly recall Minteh, would love Mahrez or Mane or even Mitrovic on loan. 

if youre talking 3 loans from Saudi it has to be Laporte,Veiga,Mane

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They did with Cancelo to Bayern last January?

It's one thing selling to a foreign club but they're not going to help a rival to strengthen (They clearly don't see mid-table Chelsea as a rival before anyone says anything about Sterling and/or flavour of the month Cole Palmer)

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

It's one thing selling to a foreign club but they're not going to help a rival to strengthen (They clearly don't see mid-table Chelsea as a rival before anyone says anything about Sterling and/or flavour of the month Cole Palmer)

Cancelo literally played against City in the CL Quarters tbf. :lol:

Doubt they'd see us as rivals anyway, plus he can't play against City but might make us better in games against the sides City are going to compete with for for the title. 

51 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

We're miles away from being their rivals mind.

Phillips could be a decent answer as cover but the issues are:

Phillips is naturally an out and out defensive 6, but he won’t start over Bruno there under any circumstance. Perhaps we view him as able to be deployed as one of the front 2.. then the question is how fit is he? Considering his lack of playing time at Man City is he up to speed fitness wise to play in our system? I know he played Bielsa ball well enough to earn a move to city but that was a few seasons ago now. Then you’ve got the issue over the fee and wages, we won’t sign anyone without an obligation I am convinced of that. Age and the recent emergence of Miley is against him also.. a good player but to much stands out against the idea for me for it to be a reasonable option.

Edited by Nine

City will want shot of Phillips if he's that far down the pecking order. His value is only decreasing sat on the bench with defenders starting in midfield ahead of him. He needs game time before the Euro's, we need CM cover and they get him in the shop window or he's such a success here that we take him permanently in the summer. Just makes sense all round. 

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

Phillips could be a decent answer as cover but the issues are:

Phillips is naturally an out and out defensive 6, but he won’t start over Bruno there under any circumstance. Perhaps we view him as able to be deployed as one of the front 2 in the more of the big Joe role.. then the question is how fit is he? Considering his lack of playing time at Man City is he up to speed fitness wise to play in our system? I know he played Bielsa ball well enough to earn a move to city but that was a few seasons ago now. Then you’ve got the issue over the fee and wages, we won’t sign anyone without an obligation I am convinced of that. Age is against him also.. a good player but to much stands out against the idea for me for it to be a reasonable option.

My take on it is that it’s an extra body until the end of season - we desperately need players - then by all means review in the summer 

2 hours ago, clintdempsey said:

Think that would be out the window giving our current situation.

I've always been of the opinion that Bruno works really well as the "6" in our system (it's not really a 6) and that we don't need a defensive midfielder, but the more I think about it the more I think Phillips can do that role for us and allow Bruno to play as one of the outside centre mids/8s where and help give us a bit more technical security, control and maybe some extra creativity in there, all of which we really lack at times currently. 

Bruno's role is essentially to receive the ball from the centre halves when we have possession in the first phase and look to progress it or switch it. Out of possession he has to press high and run back as best he can once the press is beaten. We ask him to cover a lot of ground. Phillips is really well suited to the in possession role (though not as good at it as Bruno obvs), and arguably better suited to the out of possession part because he's more mobile than Bruno (when fit). Phillips, Bruno and one of Joelinton/Willock in midfield is a pretty good balance tbh and allows us to maintain our physical dominance. I like the idea of Phillips in there doing Bruno's current role, then having Bruno in midfield happy receiving the ball too. Those two picking out forward runs from Gordon/Miggy/Isak/Wilson/Joelinton/Willock, or switching it out to Trippier/Livramento sounds good to me. Longstaff and whichever of Willock/Joelinton isn't playing to come in as a sub/rotation too. Options! We need them!

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Odd Todd snookered. They’ve overpaid for so many players that it’ll set them back most of the contract period to unravel via FFP. 

Won’t really make any difference to them if it’s not being backdated?

Obviously they still have the main issue that when any of these players they’ve put on 17 year contracts turn out to be shite, they’ll have a massive job on shifting them on.

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Won’t really make any difference to them if it’s not being backdated?

Obviously they still have the main issue that when any of these players they’ve put on 17 year contracts turn out to be shite, they’ll have a massive job on shifting them on.

That’s the headache. They have an injury prone Reece James, Chalobah, Gallagher and Broja left off their academy stockpile as FFP saleable assets. They’re already talking about selling shite like Axel “Disaster” Disasi. That’s without the likelihood they’ll never be able to recoup the ridiculous fees they’ve spent on Mudryk, Badiashile, Lavia, Caicedo, the Brazilian they’ve farmed out to Forest, Gusto etc.

They’ll go shit or bust with Osimhen and hope he can turn a current midtable team back into a Top 4 one.