NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Willock’s a very good player and athlete. The only two issues are his recent injury record. Hopefully that’s something he can come back from properly next season. We’ll soon find out. He also isn’t a player that tends to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate. He’s a bit like Ayoze in the way he drifts in and out of games but I still love him and hope he’s here in four year’s time 

Love Wilson as a striker but since both of his pecs have fallen off, it would be great to sign someone younger in his mould. Unfortunately it really seems like strikers of his ilk that are within our reach are few and far between. 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Still think people are way too optimistic that we'll somehow magically be able to attract any interest in Wilson that Wilson also would be interested in. Nobody will be willing to offer anything meaningful to us, and nobody would risk committing to the wages he'd want. He's too old and too injury prone. If we're desperate and want to push him out, we might be able to find someone willing to pay his wages if we let him go for free imo.

I disagree or at least partially.

We won't get much money for Wilson but i could see us getting 10/12m which is very little for a buying club but actually quite significant for us.

As I've said before, when fit, Wilson guarantees goals and while his fitness is an issue, it's absolutely a gamble worth taking especially if you are a club battling survival. 

A striker who gets double figures, even with injuries, can keep you in the league.

A club like Fulham or West Ham, would be a good fit but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Leicester or somewhere. That's before the Saudi clubs take an interest.

Wilson should be kept and used only to finish games. His current injury is a freak one so a bit of an oddity but used sparingly he could be immensely valuable. Look at the state of the bench this season - the squad needs more depth.

This is totally separate to a backup for Isak, a role Wilson can’t fill as he can’t handle starting twice a week in those busy periods like Xmas. If there’s European games next season then a second striker is key. But selling Wilson creates two striker vacancies at the club

32 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Selling Willock to bring in Barkley is a surprising take. I'm not sure you'll find anyone agreeing with you about that.

Before this season Willock has been pretty consistent in the team, this is the worst season he's had for injuries by far. Plus he's 24, he can improve areas of his game and adapt to play with different players. Barkley is 30 now and he'll be coming into his last few years at the top level by next season. 

People have short memories, it wasn't long ago where people questioned Isaks ability/fitness and I even seen a few people say we should sell him to get a more reliable striker, now people are saying he's better than Shearer 

Willock was quality last season and has attributes non of our other midfielders have, really hope next season he gets a chance to shine again 

8 minutes ago, janpawel said:

People have short memories, it wasn't long ago where people questioned Isaks ability/fitness and I even seen a few people say we should sell him to get a more reliable striker, now people are saying he's better than Shearer 

Willock was quality last season and has attributes non of our other midfielders have, really hope next season he gets a chance to shine again 

Isaks injury record pre Newcastle is very good though, that's the difference. Wilson's has been awful for a long time now and at multiple clubs.

Part of the problem Isak has had was having to play every single game because Wilson was injured (and the style of play). And shock horror their best time last season was when both were fit and could be rotated. That's why Wilson needs to go and whoever we bring in needs to be more reliable.

9 minutes ago, janpawel said:

I say that with a view to selling one of Wilock or Longstaff and with Anderson & Miley very much in the frame to start games in midfield. I've do really like Wilock and hope he can get over his injuries - if we keep him and sign players we need without FFP hindrance then great. I just feel he is better further forward as a no10 but I know he was great last season carrying the ball from deep. I'm more thinking going the other way. 

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Seems there's a brief out.

So you’re telling me there’s a transfer window approaching and the club have briefed the press that they have little to spend? Interesting.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

We wouldn't pay that £40 million up front though.

If we signed a £40 million striker on a five year deal, without accounting for wages, that's an £8 million per year book value. 

Even if we get £15 million for him, it covers it for two years.

I'd be happy enough with that tbf.

If forest went down would anyone take wood back? He used to always be available to take the burden of our main two strikers so they healed up better. 

13 minutes ago, andycap said:

If forest went down would anyone take wood back? He used to always be available to take the burden of our main two strikers so they healed up better. 

No

15 minutes ago, andycap said:

Not a chance. I still have PTSD from the last time he was here. Next season I'd expect us to have a lot of the ball, we need someone who can hold the ball up and link play.

17 minutes ago, andycap said:

For the case against, I shall refer you to his miss against Sheffield Wednesday.

17 minutes ago, andycap said:

His general play was too poor for what we need unfortunately, so just wouldn't work for us.

Tosin, Kelly and Sesko seem like sensible signings to me, I would love a thunderbastard of a signing as well, however the EPL insist on Beigeing up the league.

7 hours ago, andycap said:

No, he was shite. 

7 hours ago, andycap said:

I'd rather tear out my eyeballs.

1 minute ago, Izakaya said:

Chris Wood back 😂

Calum Wilson is our backup striker now. 

Callum’s going to be fuming when our new CF signing introduces himself look at me threat GIF

12 hours ago, STM said:

I disagree or at least partially.

We won't get much money for Wilson but i could see us getting 10/12m which is very little for a buying club but actually quite significant for us.

As I've said before, when fit, Wilson guarantees goals and while his fitness is an issue, it's absolutely a gamble worth taking especially if you are a club battling survival. 

A striker who gets double figures, even with injuries, can keep you in the league.

A club like Fulham or West Ham, would be a good fit but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Leicester or somewhere. That's before the Saudi clubs take an interest.

This, if we could get £10m-£15m for him, then that would pay for the first year of a £50m replacement where the costs are amortised over a 5 year contract. We are then starting to look at the likes of Jonathan David who is at Lille and will only have a year left on his contract come the summer.